The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..35~36~37~38~39..47~48~49 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tony Eye, if JJ wins, aren't we all going to share the money? Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4476 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If JJ wins, I'm applying to be part of his crew.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
In his Today show promo appearance, Uri underwhelmingly bent a spoon but essentially said everyone should decide for themselves how it was done. I think he's moderating his own PK claims for this show due to Angel's (and maybe Randi, the media and the internet's?)presence.

Besides, if Uri tries something on the show, Criss might just blabber how "Yes, I also do the ultimate version of __as well as personally employ it's creator, __ as a consultant. A commerical version of it called ___ is also sold at ____.com where everyone may purchase it for under $_____."
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
The following results are based on the fast affiliate ratings (Live Plus Same Day data)

-Total Viewers:
Fox: 16.87 million, CBS: 12.20, ABC: 9.93, NBC: 7.69, CW: 4.72

-Adults 18-49:
Fox: 5.6 rating/14 share, ABC: 3.6/ 9, CBS: 3.4/ 9, NBC: 2.9/ 7, CW: 2.3/ 6

----------

-Yesterday’s Winners:
World Series, Game 1 (Fox), Private Practice (ABC), Criminal Minds (CBS), CSI: NY (CBS)

-Disappointing:
Phenomenon (NBC), Kid Nation (CBS), Bionic Woman (NBC)

-Yesterday’s Losers:
Gossip Girl (CW), Life (NBC)

NBC finished last just above CW. It took a large decline in ratings from the previous week's Deal Or No Deal.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2086 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 02:59, arnon wrote:
Is it true that the show will HAVE to last to the bitter end, since a prize of $250,000 has been promised, and NBC has committed itself?

Good point, Arnon. I don't know how this end of television works (and this "end of television" applies in more ways than one). If I had to guess, I'd say they can't cancel mid-series, for as you mentioned, a prize has been promised, and they're committed. So we will all get everything we were promised, like it or not.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Gabe

We are talking about the same network that cancelled Last Comic Standing just before the finale a few years back.

Tony
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Forgot to put this in my last post... this is a typical review I'm reading time and time again.

http://time-blog.com/tuned_in/

And yes, the show can get cancelled as I stated before. They can cut the episodes down and limit the number of weeks, or flat out pull the show. It should be in their contract that no prize will be given if the show does not hold ratings long enough. And this is where they need to do the show for exposure and see the prize as an extra incentive if it comes around.

Most reality will cut the number of weeks and finish out the show. But I can see this one getting pulled with the ratings they are experiencing.
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
Here is my ratings #. When the masked magician/Blaine/Copperfield etc are/where on people at work said to me "did you see...." Not one normal person(non-magician/mentalist no offense) has said "hey, your a magician, did you see that last night." Quite frankly, I wish I hadn't either.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I haven't read every post in this thread yet, but I am getting annoyed with the vein in the thread of people who have made comments like:

a) I watched it with friends, and they were bored.
b) I watched this with friends and they were laughing about it

I have seen oh-so-many mentalist performances (attended several MindVentions; saw Marc Salem on Broadway; attended many, many lectures by the top people in the field; seen Darren Brown's show on TV; etc., etc.). Given what I think is a substantial background and intense interest in mentalism, how can anyone be so flip and ugly as to say that these fellows' performances on last night's show were boring and/or laughable. At the VERY least they were journeyman quality mentalism performances. If these gentlemen's performance did not pass muster, is this group honestly saying that the members of this board perform better? If so, then my exposure to the great breadth of mentalism performances tells me there are many armchair liars in this group.

Gianni
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Gianni,

I saw it with friends (laymen, six of them) and they WERE bored.

I liked it, but does my opinion count? How many "mentalists" are out there watching this show? A laughable, insignificant amount.

What matters is how OTHER people see this (us). And yes, they made jokes throughout the show and yes they did leave bored without the least amount of interest in ever seeing anything like this again.

I made my best effort to get them to watch next week. We'll see.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I finally figured out who hired Criss Angel.... same people who made Steve Gutenberg a star.....

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/downloads/music/wedo.mp3
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of WhateverUnique
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 13:54, videokideo wrote:
Forgot to put this in my last post... this is a typical review I'm reading time and time again.

http://time-blog.com/tuned_in/

And yes, the show can get cancelled as I stated before. They can cut the episodes down and limit the number of weeks, or flat out pull the show. It should be in their contract that no prize will be given if the show does not hold ratings long enough. And this is where they need to do the show for exposure and see the prize as an extra incentive if it comes around.

Most reality will cut the number of weeks and finish out the show. But I can see this one getting pulled with the ratings they are experiencing.

Oh thank goodness the reviews are pointing out the fatal flaw in having the judgements by criss and Uri. This is good and shows that it's not just us on the Café and in the know that see the irony and bad taste of the idea.

I felt so bad for Jim Karol and here's why. It dawned on me watching Jim Karol standing there on stage....no mater if the comments were good or bad....here is a guy...what 55 or so, a professional that is a working performer...being viewed upon like a 20 something on American idol.....

Most everyone on the show is a working professional....it's belittling. It poor taste.

Now NBC gets to wallow around in the muck and try to get advertisers to hang on....

I suspect we will be hearing some interesting news after meetings today around NBC.
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Gianni,

I think most people are commenting on the structural format of the show more than anything else. As far as individual performances, there were some that I enjoyed more than others. Everyone did a good job presenting their material within the format presented to them.

The success of Phenomenon does not rest on the shoulders of the performers alone.
What I saw were professionals doing their best to perform in a time and space that was anything but ideal. They all have my highest regard.

Was the show boring? That depends on who you ask.
A little orange jacket mentalism might have helped.

Sometimes the ratings speak for themselves.
Sometimes figures lie and liars figure.

Steve
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Criss Angel: Expect "fireworks" on NBC's new 'Phenomenon' series

CA; I AM THE FIREWORKS - I AM FIRE - I AM GOD - WORSHIP ME AND BE SPARED

By Christopher Rocchio, 10/15/2007

Criss Angel described Phenomenon as "explosive," an aspect of the new NBC reality competition series that attracted the Criss Angel Mindfreak illusionist to work on the project.

I WAS ATTRACTED TO BEING GIVEN AUTHORITY OVER OTHER PROFESSIONALS AND TO BE ABLE TO TELL THEM HOW INSIGNIFICANT THEY ARE TO MY GODHOOD... PRAY TO ME AND BE SPARED.

"I think it's going to prove to be a very provocative and engaging show that will give talent throughout the world an opportunity to showcase their abilities," Angel told reporters during a conference call last week. "I just thought a show like this would give people a legitimate opportunity. And to participate in it live is really a selling point for me because I'm going to experience as you and all the home viewers are for the very first time when they're performing it."

I SHALL PROVE TO BE PROVOCATIVE AND I SHALL ENGAGE MY MINIONS - THOSE WHO SHALL COME FORWARD TO ENTERTAIN ME SHALL BE GIVEN A LEGITIMATE OPPORTUNITY - FIRST, A FAIR TRIAL - THEN WE HANG THEM.

Angel and mentalist Uri Gellar will assist the 10 Phenomenon contestants as well as provide their insight, however it will be the home viewers who vote to determine which act eventually claims the show's $250,000 grand prize following the show's five-week broadcast run.

URI'S NAME WILL ALWAYS FOLLOW MINE IN ALL ADS - NEVER IN FRONT, OR I WILL NOT PLAY WITH YOU. I WANT TO BE #1... PERIOD. URI IS NOT MY EQUAL - NO ONE IS... PRAY THAT YOU DIE EASILY!!!!

"I think many, many people are fascinated with the unknown, with the ability to do something that is unexplainable. I think that this show will showcase the best and the worst and the people that claim they potentially [have] this ability because of supernatural reasons, not because it's something that's a trick," said Angel. "I think all of that stuff is potentially the ingredients for explosive television. I'm going to be there as the voice of the people. And the minute somebody claims - if they claim - if anybody claims that they have this ability outside of trickery I will expose them."

I DO NOT THINK THE BEST HAS COME - AS I HAVE NOT SHOWN YOU MY POWERS - BUT CERTAINLY I CAN SHOWCASE THE WORST - THEY ARE ALL NOTHING TO MY GREATNESS. ALTHOUGH POTENTIALLY EXPLOSIVE, I HAVE DOUSED OUT ALL FLAMES... FOR ONLY MY FLAME IS WHAT YE SHALL WORSHIP... FOR I AM A JEALOUS GOD. I WILL EXPOSE EVERYONE - FOR EVERYONE CLAIMS TO HAVE POWERS - SO THEY ALL MUST BE PUNISHED.

Phenomenon is scheduled to premiere Wednesday, October 24 at 8PM ET/PT, with NBC broadcasting each of Phenomenon's one-hour episodes live and imploring home viewers to try and debunk the 10 contestants' tricks.

YES - MY WORSHIPPERS WILL DEBUNK WITH ME - FOR ONLY I AM THE TRUE GOD - I AM THE MMMMIIIINNNNNDDDDDFFFFRRRRRREEEEAAAAAKKK

"It's going to be interesting because one of the things that I've requested is I don't want to be in the loop so much. I want to be experiencing the performer for the first moment just as the audience is as they begin their performance," explained Angel. "So I want to kind of not be tainted by knowing who is doing what or anything like that. I'm going in there just like the audience. So you're going to see my reaction for the first time because it's the first time I'm seeing it."

HA! AS IF I COULD BE JUST LIKE THE AUDIENCE - I, WHO HAVE FORGOTTEN MORE MAGIC THAN ALL MAGICIANS COMBINED - I WHO CAN NOT ONLY KNOW HOW THINGS ARE DONE BUT TELL THE WORLD IN REAL TIME THE EFFECT NAME, BOOK, AND PAGE #.... BEHOLD MY REACTIONS - I AM A MERCILESS GOD - PRAY THAT YOU DIE EASILY!!!!!

While Angel admitted he'd "absolutely love to be fooled" by the Phenomenon contestants' performances, he has no problem exposing them on live television if he thinks it's a hoax, which could lead to "fireworks going back and forth."

I WOULD LOVE TO BE FOOLED - THIS IS A LIE. NO ONE FOOLS THE MMMMIIIINNNDDDDD FFFRFRREEEAAAAKKKKKK.... ALL FIREWORKS ARE DUE TO ME ALONE.

"I will stand up for the people as Houdini did to expose those who try to take advantage of the vulnerable," said Angel. "The innocence of a child for the first time seeing something and being in wonder is something I long for because, you know, I'm tainted... I see things and I see it differently. I try to look at it as a spectator but, you know, unless I get amnesia I still can't overlook that. I can appreciate the performance... I just look at it to be true to myself and do what I believe is right. And I think the American public is very smart and will realize that I'm out to be true and to protect them."

I AM A HERO - I AM GREATER THAN SUPERMAN, SPIDERMAN, BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN... I LOVE WONDER WOMAN. I LOVE HOW SHE TIES UP PEOPLE.... ERRR... MORALS ARE FOR MEN! NOT GODS!!!!! BRITNEY - CAMERON - ALL WOMEN LOVE ME! THE MINDFREAK!

Despite not having a final say in which contestant receives the show's grand prize, Angel said he's confident in the home viewers' eventual decision. He said he never "gave a ****" about what other magicians thought of him, and now he'll have a chance to practice what he preaches on Phenomenon.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK - LIE! I AM A JEALOUS GOD AND I SHALL HURL MY LIGHTNING AT ALL WHO THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN ME - I SHALL EXPOSE YOU ALL - I AM THE UNMASKING MENTALIST!

"It doesn't matter what I really think," he said. "If I'm there and I say somebody sucks and yet the American public says they're great, they're the ones who are looking at it through virgin eyes. And they know better than me what the public wants because I'm tainted. So I trust the American public to pick truly who's the most entertaining because they're going to know who is the most entertaining because, you know, their eyes and their ears are in a way virgin to this subject."

HA! LIKE WHEN I DESTROYED EHUD WHO ACTUALLY HAD A THEME, A RAPPORT, AND A MESSAGE TO THE AUDIENCE - I TOOK SPECIAL PLEASURE IN DEBUNKING HIM - HOW DARE HE TRY TO STEAL MY WORSHIPPERS? CARMEN ELECTRA SHALL WORSHIP ME! ALL WOMEN LOVE ME!!!!

Phenomenon is based on a popular Israeli reality competition series called The Successor, which premiered earlier this year and featured Gellar as a judge and mentor. Angel said the first exposure he had to The Successor was via a YouTube clip.

BAH - NOW IT WILL BE A REAL SHOW AS I AM ON IT.

"I did have the opportunity to meet Uri. And, you know, he was very enthusiastic and very, obviously, very passionate about this incarnation of the show," said Angel. "I'm excited to be part of it. And I'm waiting to go on the ride just like the home audience will be on. And we'll see what develops. But, you know, at the end of the day I think it - I signed on because I think it's a very intriguing concept."

AND I MUST MAKE SURE IT NEVER TOPS MIIIINNNDDDDD FFRRRREEAAAAKKKKKKKKK

Angel said what differs Phenomenon from other reality competition shows is its "fascinating" subject matter as well as the fact that "so many people in their life go see a psychic," people will be able to "connect" to it. While it hasn't even premiered yet, Angel sounded optimistic that Phenomenon could touch a chord with viewers and become a regular series.

THEREFORE I MUST BE THERE TO MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT HAPPEN - ALL CONNECTIONS ARE WITH ME...

"I think the livelihood of the show has the potential to go on and on because there's so many people that want to believe in the supernatural, that want to be able to talk to the dead, that want to believe that you can bend spoons with your mind," he said. "And I think as long as there are people that want to believe that, there's the need or the demand for a show like this. Who would ever think that Mindfreak would be in its hundredth episode? So I mean there's an audience out there for this stuff."

NOTICE MY SUBTLE WAY OF PROCLAIMING THE GREATNESS OF MMMIIINNNDDD FFFFRRREEEEAKKK - THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

Angel said he begins work on Mindfreak's fourth season -- which will inlcude the show's 100th episode -- on October 22, so he'll be filming episodes of his A&E series while simultaneously flying to California every Wednesday to shoot Phenomenon in addition to rehearsing for his live Las Vegas stage show.

THERE ARE LIKELY MANY THINGS I CAN TAKE FOR MY SHOW WITHOUT CREDITING THEM... HAHAHA... BUT IT IS JUST - THEY MUST PAY THEIR SACRIFICES TO ME - MOVE OVER KALI... I AM THE ONE... THE GOD OF KINGDOM COME... GIVE ME THE PRIZE!!!

However he sounded most excited to be working on Phenomenon.

I AM GOD

"This is an interesting proposition for me because it's a show that I'm not creating. It's a show that I'm not producing. It's a show I'm not directing. It's a show I don't even know what's going to happen," he said. "So for me that's exciting to be involved in that capacity because it's a different approach for me. And this show is a completely different animal from anything I've ever done or anything I've ever seen."

THEREFORE, I SHALL TAKE CONTROL OF THE SHOW ANYWAY I CAN AND MAKE IT A TRAVESTY WHERE ONLY I EMERGE THE VICTOR.... GIVE ME THE PRIZE!!! THE WOMEN!!!! THE LOVE OF EVERYONE!!! I MUST BE LOVED BY EVERYONE!!!!!

YOU LOVE ME... DON'T YOU... JUST A LITTLE? DON'T YOU... PLEASE... LOOK... I DID A BETTER RUSSIAN ROULETTE... MOMMY? PLEEEEEEAAAZ?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Every time the show would pick up momentum Angel would throw a bucket of water on the fire. Angel will Poo Poo everyone and claim he is THE BEST all the way through. He exposed on his own show and he's following the same steps here. Lord help Us!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 14:21, Dr Spektor wrote:
I finally figured out who hired Criss Angel.... same people who made Steve Gutenberg a star.....

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/downloads/music/wedo.mp3

(Video version of "We Do")

In that spirit: Someone asked me what I thought was the best part of Phenomenon. I e-mailed them a link to this scene.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
This show hugs... big time. Doomed!
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 14:51, Slim King wrote:
Every time the show would pick up momentum Angel would throw a bucket of water on the fire.

Slim,

That's why I think it would be best to hold off on the critiques untill the end of the show. As it was, the show had a kinda patch work feel to it.

Steve
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 14:18, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Gianni,

I saw it with friends (laymen, six of them) and they WERE bored.

Alexandre:

I'm very happy you responded to my post. My question, then, is, do you know why your friends were bored? You see, my concern is that I felt the performers on this show provided nice quality performances. If they cannot hold your friends' interest and attention, then what would that take? I am concerned that if generally fine performers cannot hold the interest, then what hope have we for the future of mentalism as entertainment?

Gianni
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 14:37, Hoff Man wrote:
Was the show boring? That depends on who you ask.
A little orange jacket mentalism might have helped.

Steve

Caught me off guard. That was funny, though I'm not sure about that.

My girlfriend and I had a serious discussion on what I would've performed that first night, and how, had I made it on, now that I've seen it.

A show like this has never been done. It's a tough decision. Tough, I say!

I take my orange jacket off to those guys performing that first night. At least the others have a better chance to change things now that they've seen the first episode.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..35~36~37~38~39..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL