The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..37~38~39~40~41..47~48~49 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yep!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Some points:

1. Can anyone here visualize Richard Osterlind performing any effect of his, on any video of his, in the TV slot alloted to the mentalists on Phenomenon?

2. How would Richard's performance stack up?

3. Why must some posts be as long-winded as their mentalism presentations probably are? Not all of us are boring - don't blame the art form for that.

Arnon

P.S. And who are you, Mindpro? Your profile doesn't reveal your identity, and you are a new user.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
We as entertainers must entertain! If we can't pull something like this off, then what kind of entertainers are we?

Other entertainers, who are not mentalists, could pull this off, WHY NOT mentalists?

Are we not entertainers FIRST and mentalists second? Where is the entertainment?

Is it because we are not suited for this type of forum or is it because we are lazy? We will NEVER grab that brass ring unless we get with the program and re-invent ourselves.

I am just trying to wake people up so that they can smell the coffee. As I stated in my above post, I am going to say things that needs to be said.

Like it or not we can’t compete in this type of arena. We will always get our balls handed back to us unless we can change. I am not taking anything away from the people who have or will appear on this program. We all know who they are and know that they are solid in their material. But, we can now see that this may not be the best showcase for mentalism!

instead of moving forward, I now hear excuses. The velocity of an excuse is zero.

We are big boys playing in this sandbox. It seems to me that the mentalists are being pushed out of this sandbox. Don’t you guys want to play? I sure do and want to learn new ways to compete with the boys in the sandbox. This isn’t the time to start making excuses. I think that it may be time to roll up our sleeves and get to work!

Don’t you see the painting on the wall? It is dripping. Lets repaint it!

We had a saying when I was in the Army, ‘Adaptability and flexibility’. This was the key to winning a battle. Don’t you see this as a battle of an upcoming war? Who will want to hire mentalists after seeing this program? I sure wouldn’t want to! That magic guy down the street is looking better and better….. Let’s change and grow.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Could we have answered the burning question of why the names avoided this like a vampire avoids garlic or Madonna avoids soap?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of WhateverUnique
Well the episode is up on NBC now...so if anyone missed it or wanted to watch criss shout out the PK and B words again...and they *** thing stops and loads commercials for the Navy...what asses
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Yes Danny it has been answered. I am still keeping hope that Jim brings something exciting. I think the shows format limits any of these guys though.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 17:38, Dannydoyle wrote:
Could we have answered the burning question of why the names avoided this like a vampire avoids garlic or Madonna avoids soap?

Because the names didn't have absolute control over their performing circumstances. They were limited to enacting someone else's vision, not their own.

Curt
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I KNEW THE ANSWER, I was just trying to end the speculation is all!

I was pointing out that it was not them at fault, but the concept and execution, which is entirley in the court of the network. Good move staying away guys!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2446 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Yup Danny, I agree. Now, what I am waiting for is all the people who kept asking why the stars stayed away or how "talent always wins" (regardless of conditions) to respond. I'd love to hear them admit they were wrong. However, part of being adversarial as they were is never admitting you were wrong.

Or am I wrong?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Part of telling the truth is admitting when you made a mistake and find the actual truth.

The bomb throwers here will never admit they are wrong.

I bet we hear from at least one right soon.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
I agree with Ray and Mindpro on most accounts(sorry if I don't have a lot of info on my profile,I guess that means I'm not a really performer). Most mentalists think they are being deep or connecting by taking longer but, the ones that seem to believe that, are the ones who very rarely go 'deep' into anything including themselves. To go deep and then make it enthralling is a whole other skill separate from NLP or a billet peak.

Now truly a lot of people think Criss is the real deal but just as many think he's well.....a dweeb. Overly 'cool' and egotistical and they don't buy a single thing he does.

The same thing goes for Derren in the UK (I'm a huge fan of Derren's but the laypeople from the UK who I have spoken to over the past year couldn't careless about him.)

Blaine seemed to garner much more respect in his first year or so of TV specials and then he became well.....a dweeb. He seemed to believe his own 'Jesus-complex' he was creating and many Blaine fan's stopped watching or caring about him and his stunts.

I think this is part of what Ray and Mindpro were getting at in the comment. If our ego's as performers don't get out of the way of the performance nobody will want to watch our performance and nobody watching our performance is equal to the sound of one hand clapping......

Now as a culture we've thrown around the term 'MTV' Style for about as long as MTV has been around. But the fact of the matter is not as many young people really watch MTV as we used to 'back in the day' because there are soooo many other options like Myspace, Facebook, Chatrooms, On Demand etc etc. The reason for many of these options being so popular is because either A) They give us what we want now. Or B) We ourselves get to generate the content instead of waiting for someone to give us what we want. And, (believe it or not you older guys) it is a new way for many people to connect with each other. If you need proof of that just realize that you are on an Internet chatroom reading the ramblings of 'who-ever -this -guy-thinks - he-is'. In other words the content is relevant to you the viewer partaking in it and you are connecting with others you otherwise would never have met.

Funny enough while reaching heights of ADD and ADHD style TV and Internet, our prime-time programing as gotten much better, richer, even 'slower' at times. Except people don't always have the time to watch it in our every crazy world so instead we rent and buy box sets of seasons of shows and then watch them allllll daaayyy loooonnngggg.
We watch one thing! ALL DAY LONG! Not very MTV at heart. But it shows we are willing to invest time and attention if we think (out of all the options in our world ) this one will give us something we want or need in some way.

So what the hell am I babbling about while trying to avoid doing any work today.
Fast cuts that impress young folks really don't mean anything anymore. MTV doesn't mean as much any more. MTV isn't the proper term anymore. Fast isn't better in entertainment magic or mentalism. What really matters, what really truly matters to all laypeople and audience members is............

"something worth watching!!! Something worth my time because I have a busy life and if it isn't interesting and or entertaining, no, I should say again enthralling an d maybe even relevant to my world, then I'm not going to bother wasting my time anymore with your silly little presentations!!"

This is a problem in all walks of magic, mental, bizzare etc etc.

Taking ones sweet time to set up a situation is absolutely fine. But most aren't capable of making it work and even few are capable of make us care at all about the person, presentation or the effect.

That's what needs to be worked on in our craft. Making anybody care about numbers, phone books, touching's. Sometimes that means going slower if need be.Other times that means speed it up and create a direct through line to the end of the effect. Proper presentation at the proper time in the proper way but in the end if we want people to pay attention; if we want anybody to stop their life to watch our shows or pay us money for doing what we do then we have to make them care!

Many times even the best among us can't do that........
How do we change this......?

Alright sorry about all that.....

Crazy Rambling Over,
Christian Cagigal
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
Does that make me a bomb thrower.....?

(actually I was responding to earlier stuff, didn't see these last two...if that makes me a bomn thrower well...so be it.)

-C
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was speaking more of our more experienced bomb throwers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
835 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 14:18, ALEXANDRE wrote:
I made my best effort to get them to watch next week. We'll see.

You and I should be glad we turned the show down to appear on it...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Christiancagigal,
Thanks for writting that. You hit the nail on the head.

We do need to step back and re-look at our craft/art.

This might be the start of a new outlook on mentalism. I can only hope that it is.

Lets give our spectators a reason to WATCH us!

Best
Ray
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
We are so full of ourselves, these guys were performing in an environment that would make most on this board wet their pants, look we do not create miracles we are entertainers. These performers treaded in areas that few before them have walked before. It was a gutsy move by all of them and for the members here to bash their performance I would wager if none here could do better in this environment. We wonder why so many audiences think our craft sucks & should be done mostly for children & maybe free table side entertainment(no disrespect to either group I perform both), we do not even appreciate the effort our cohorts place fourth. Darren Brown appeals to so many mentalits because his performances are new & fresh to us, their performances are new to the televion audience & Darren has a full show to develope a rapport & a story line these performers have 5 minutes. The success of these performers hinge so much on the staging of the production team & what they feel would appeal to a mass audience. They wanted Angel's holier than thou persona to be the Simon on the show. the easiest & quickest way to improve this show is by changing the guest audience members, they have to deal with one who could care less, one who is clueless & another who is just well ..... I can't count the number of time individuals here have wined about spectators who were apathetic to their performance, now imagine that in front of several million people. Oh and Jared there were only 4 participants.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
The Judges that should have been:

1) Some English guy who is a theatre director

2) Eugene Burger

3) Teller

4) Blaine

The Guests that should have been:

1) Jane Seymore (Solitaire)

2) Iman

3) Claudia Shiffer

4)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Banachek would have been a great judge.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The fault of this show is not that Mentalism doesn't work on television. It has in the past, it does today with Derren Brown and others.

The fault is in the concept of the show, which is something I pointed out in one of the earliest threads after this show was first announced.

The Performers involved must accept some responsibility, for they all agreed to the format. If their performances come off badly because of the limitations placed on them by the program, or by being "judged" harshly by Criss Angel, they have no one to blame but themselves. No one made them take part. Others turned down the "opportunity". The show exists in the format and structure it does because they found 8 Mentalists who agreed to perform under those conditions.

Here's hoping those remaining will learn from watching the first four go down in flames, and adapt. At the very least, if they see themselves being thrown on the pyre, I hope that they speak up and take Angel down with them. At least then they'd get the 15 minutes of fame they seek, instead of 3 minutes of doing what they're told to do, followed by Angel and Geller telling them what's wrong with their acts.

- entity
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1267 Posts

Profile of Jared
I agree tboehnlein that it took guts for these performers to perform in this difficult envirnoment but fame and fortune always has a price tag doesn't it? Somebody on this show is going to walk away from this wreckage and stand to gain significant financial rewards. It's a risk that the majority of us would probably take if given the opportunity.

-Jared
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..37~38~39~40~41..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL