The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..40~41~42~43~44..47~48~49 [Next]
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Jared,
I completely agree with your assessment of Phenomenon.

Just to be clear, the phone book routine was not really HPN. The only real similarity is the use of
signs. Not that I'd actually waste time and energy to vote but it certainly wouldn't get my vote.

HPN has more subtle methods for a multitude of situations and presentational tips that consistenly get
great reactions.

Maybe another one of the contestants will actually do the "real thing!" That would be interesting...
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
IMO the whole premise of the show is flawed.It's like asking a talented musician to play a few notes..or asking an accomplished sculptor to create something beautiful in a few minutes...and then judgeing the results against other artists.[No real evidence of the 'efficacy' of the Artists or of the particular Art is possible in such a short time segment.


I praise the accomplished performers who decided not to participate,but I also commend the performers who jumped in and went for it for whatever reason.I also wish them well now that they are part of it.

Go Jim C.!

Rich
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
You're right - Richard has nothing to prove. And he would have nothing to gain from this TV show -- other than perhaps a chance of putting Criss Angel on the spot. Also, there is undoubtedly a concern of conflict of interest. He was a credited advisor during Angel's first season.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12011 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice post Rich. IN another venue, they would have all been appreciated much much more. Well said.

I heard Uri on Coast to Coast AM last night. He said CA bought his mother, girl friend and Mindfreak helpers to the show and Uri met them all. He had nothing but praise of him and the perfomers. He of course rated one above them all but IMO he made the right choice but I really did not think he was over critical of anyone like CA was. Perhaps CA will tame down somewhat for next week.

He also said CA just signed a 250 million dollar deal with a Vegas hotel.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10099 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So after all that been said about the format, the judges, and flaws, of those on this week's show who would get your vote and why?
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
834 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 00:13, Candini wrote:
He also said CA just signed a 250 million dollar deal with a Vegas hotel.


That's the LUXOR Casino...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I like Uri. He blew my mind when I was 10 years old. I ran to the kitchen drawer to see if the forks were bending.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I bet that the forks didn't bend, but tiny spikes grew out of the teaball.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 00:31, Parson Smith wrote:
I bet that the forks didn't bend, but tiny spikes grew out of the teaball.


Parson...you are in a class of your own... Smile
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1211 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
The show sucked.
It's L.C.D. stuff.
I'm glad that I live in a time when I have the luxury of having a machine watch this crap for me.


A.

I hope Johnny Thompson has a will, he's lost touch really, though I'm sure it will surely be contested - how did he hook up with such a tool?
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
JT is 2 b at ICBM.
Maybe some of you could question him about the tool.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2085 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 00:08, PaleoMagi wrote:
IMO the whole premise of the show is flawed. It's like asking a talented musician to play a few notes..or asking an accomplished sculptor to create something beautiful in a few minutes...and then judgeing the results against other artists.[No real evidence of the 'efficacy' of the Artists or of the particular Art is possible in such a short time segment.


I praise the accomplished performers who decided not to participate,but I also commend the performers who jumped in and went for it for whatever reason.I also wish them well now that they are part of it.

Go Jim C.!

Rich


Right on. Years ago, there was a talent show called "Star Search". Comics had TWO MINUTES; that's it. Some great names graced that stage... and LOST. Among them were: Alanis Morissette, LeAnn Rimes, Dennis Miller, Christina Aguilera, Sinbad, Destiny's Child, Drew Carey, Ray Romano and... oh yeah, me. And while no one's heard of me, those other folks sure did ok for themselves. In fact, I lost the same day a comic friend of mine lost, as well. His name? Dave Chapelle. 2 minutes, folks. Imagine if a comic who was more of a storyteller, like Bill Cosby, had two minutes to prove to the world he was funny. One of the greatest comics of his or any generation would barely be getting to his first joke when he "got the light". PaleMagi is absolutely right. In fact, it is not only the premise of the show that is flawed, it is the entire execution of production. There's no "life" to it; no "urgency". The thrill is gone. In addition, it is impossible to pass definitive judgement on the performers, just as it was in two minute bites on "Star Search".
I do, however, think it is safe to say this about the wonderful Richard Osterlind: Had he done the show, at least he would have found a way to connect with the crowd. I don't believe there's a more "likeable" mentalist working today.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
If you are a comic why wasn't that last post funny??
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2085 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 00:58, Parson Smith wrote:
If you are a comic why wasn't that last post funny??


I'm only funny on the clock.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok I really wanted to watch this show, but I had to choose between that Oushing Daises, and Kid Nation. As I am married and enjoy both those other shows, I couldn't cath Phenomenom... So how was it. anything basic that was kinda like wow I cant believe he did that or was it a lot of mind blowing stuff, or even WOW the Editing team is at it again. If this is the wrong thread for this, let me know as well. Just curious about the show...
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 02:04, gabelson wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 00:58, Parson Smith wrote:
If you are a comic why wasn't that last post funny??


I'm only funny on the clock.


Now that was funny Smile
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Thank you.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
834 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 00:58, Parson Smith wrote:
If you are a comic why wasn't that last post funny??


I don't think the posters last message was suppose to be funny.... The late Davey Marlin-Jones hit the nail on the head in his P.E.A. lecture years ago when he said that present day audiences grew up in a Rolling Stones style of performances based upon the music of the times... No start, and no ending, just BAM right into the music and at the end it just stops... Today's audiences are a Fast Food generation and they have come to expect their food/service in one minute or less and this carries through to their watching any stage show/live entertainment...

Getting back to the show, the performers knew that they would be forced into Rapid Fire mentalism and this just leaves a very short time to have a beginning, middle and end to a routine/effect in the time frame given... This is bad in mentalism... I am of the Dunninger, Kreskin crowd... I say, lead your audience down your progressive path of ESP and not their Big Mac attack... My friend, Pasqual De Clermont gave a great lecture (notes/manuscript) on this very subject years ago at a P.E.A. convention as well..
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
307 Posts

Profile of archini
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 17:16, Mindpro wrote:
I was so hoping that John Archer would have walked out with his sense of humor and bring things to life.


Thanks Mindpro, I would love to have been involved if for nothing else than to spend some time working with Banachek, but since I don't take myself too seriously it's never going to happen. This sounds to me (I haven't seen the show) like they are trying to present this stuff as real rather than entertaining, and for some reason most people seem to have this idea that if you had some special powers you would suddenly lose you're sense of humour or power to entertain. In which case you might as well present it as a science show.

Shame that Bob hope, Jim Carey, George Burns or Robin William never gained the power of ESP (for real), they may have surprised people with how they presented it.

I'm interested to see how it pans out.

John
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
RileyG:

Granted, there can be no "progressive path" in 3 minutes - not even in 6.

But this is akin to a genre that Mark Strivings called "Walk Around Mentalism" - each effect was punchy and to the point. Three of them made a set of about 10 minutes, perfect for each group "in that environment." It is, however, different in the audience size. Derren Brown seems to overcome that obstacle, creating intimacy even with a large audience.

You say that "This is bad in mentalism," and I say it depends on the environment. Don't expect to pull off the same effects in different environments. And just because you can't does not mean that the mentalism you can do is "bad." It is just different, and probably what you are not used to doing.

Jim/J ack realizes this - he says that he is creating suitable effects in the environment he is in. I hope he succeeds in doing so, as long as he doesn't seriously claim that the effects are accomplished by supernatural forces.

Arnon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..40~41~42~43~44..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL