The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first day on the bricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
Ladies and gentlemen, I have just returned from my first day. It is a totally different experience. I had fun.

My show went as follows: Hang 'em High (rope through body), signed card from zipper, and cups and balls. Along with bit thrown in.

It certainly takes a little extra something to be out there calling for an edge and after 5-7 mins people still just walk by. I did about 5-6 shows and made $25. Not bad, I think, on my first day. I was drawing my edge by banging my wand and using a turkey call. There were 3 other acts down there: a bird guy, one man band, and juggler. They were all using a mic and sound system and they had the crowds. Maybe I should invest in one of those. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hey Kasper, sounds like you had fun anyways. Good for you and keep it up. I use a mic and speakers, and it helps in many ways. Don't have to yell too much (although I do to get the crowds attention at times), and saves my voice box from breaking down. For me a mic and speakers is a absolute to have.
Have fun and keep it up,
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Kasper - Where were you performing??? Was it old town Alexandria, by any chance? There's a bird guy, one man band (the guy's name is Curtis, if I'm not mistaken), and a juggler named Sebastian.

That would be too cool, cause I've done stuff there!

Maybe I'll see you around!

And your show sounds great! I found that the hardest thing to do was the edge...So way to go!

Josh
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
I perform in Savannah, GA. Think of it as New Orleans, but smaller. It's a nice artsy, vacation town.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Congratulations!

You’ve crossed the performing equator. You are no longer a pigeon you are now a brick back! Welcome to the fellowship.

Do yourself a favor, save a buck from that first hat, date it, write where you got it, and frame it.

You will never earn another dollar in this life that will feel as good as that one. It was hard earned and well won.

FAT HATS!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
kasper777
Where did you do your thing? Was it at the River Front? Or did you do it in the park where they filmed Forest Gump? (I forgot the name of that area)I used to live in Savannah.

Ray Noble
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
I was on the waterfron on River street. I tried the park next to city market but all of those bikers with their Harley's made my job hell. That's when I moved down do River St.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
People that comes to River Street are there for a good time. That is a very good spot. Good luck

Ray Noble
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Where is it that you just perfomed?....

What city?

koz
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
Koz, Savannah, GA is where I performed. I performed on River St. which is kind of like bourbon st. on a river. There were other performers, juggeler, bird guy, one man band, and a few others.
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
Good job Smile. Try to put yourself in a medium traffic area, too.

Ian Smile
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
The traffic is there, it's just not in front of my table, hehe. Once I get past that part, I should be ok. Anyone with tips on building and edge.
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
Three Cheers!

I, too, will be hitting the bricks for the first time in a month or so. The weather here is not quite cooperating yet. Congratulations and best wishes for a fun and profitable season.

- Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hey there Kasper,
There is already a ton of info in this SideWalk Shuffle section to keep you busy studying for a long time. Danny Hustle has written some very clearly explained almost essays on the exciting art of performing, setting up, working with other performers, how to get an edge etc. They sure have helped me tons. I'm sure some of the others here will give you some links. I'm not that computerised myself to do it.
Keep it up.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'll be in Savannah in March for a few days R&R, staying near River St. Any killer restaurants you can suggest? Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
If you like Italian they have a few good places. I believe one is called Samolini's. There are others on Abercorn St. A place called "The Pirates Den" (i believe) has a good history behind and good atmosphere. Savannah was just named the most haunted city in the US. Pete, if you get a free minute, I would love to meet with you and chat, I understand if you don't since you are on vacation. At least come check out my show and tell me how bad I suck. hehe PM me and I can tell you more.
thief74
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of thief74
Sounds fun, I almost wanna go out and try it now. All I have done is some walk around in the mall and some large retail stores. Man this place is great, so much information on so many topics.
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
I am going to stick with restaurants at the moment. It will be summer before I'd be comfortable with crowds larger than eight. I don't even have a close-up mat yet, and Austin in the summer is basically 90 consecutive days of 100 degree Fahrenheit heat.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
KASPER, for a great sound system check out http://www.crate.com and look for taxi (the yellow one). I am using this now for several years and it is great. HAVE FUN! Smile Smile
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I just went to crate dot com and the administrator has a note indicating Crate Amps' site is actually http://www.createamps.com/.

Looks like a great resource!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first day on the bricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL