The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cube Squared - Make them stop! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I hate these guys. Don't they get it? Us illusionists are supposed to haul around heavy boxes and crates. It's what we do! How will we ever get by if people are pulling off such miracles with 6 lbs of equipment? How will I look important carrying this on a plane when other illusionists are in the " oversized freight" department comparing hernias?

When will it stop????

http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/cubesquared.htm

Best,

Tim
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Wait till you see their new Zip-Zag, Sub Trunk and Ashrah Levitation Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Fabrison
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Fabrison
They should stick with their balloon magic
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Years ago, it was Supreme Magic's cardboard illusions. Packs flat - plays flat!

But serious, B of Creative Magic has come up with interesting stuff. Like everything else in life, it's not for everybody.

Chris
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hello Chris,

It wouldn't fit my show but I can think of about 5 friends in the biz would are gonna love this thing.

I thought the Beach Balls were the most visual.

Best,

Tim

P.S. Payne.... Zip-Zag???? You slay me! LOL
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Um ... can't we just get a couple of cardboard boxes? What's the advantage over "Grant's Carton Illusions"
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-09-30 15:43, Starrpower wrote:
Um ... can't we just get a couple of cardboard boxes? What's the advantage over "Grant's Carton Illusions"

You could easily get cardboard boxes but the big advantage to these is that they look more pro than cardboard boxes and they fold up into nothing. I actually think they'd be lighter than cardboard as well.

I know a guy who doesn't drive. He's a pro but uses public transit to get around Toronto. He does kids shows and his entire act plays out of his large case. This illusion could easily tuck into a side pocket of his case and let him present a large finale or production. He couldn't travel as easy with a cardboard version. I also think the lightness of the illusion promotes the fact that there is nothing there to hide. I did a family corporate picnic a few years ago and had to fly cross country. The client wanted some sort of production but I couldn't take anything to fit the bill on the plane.

I'd also think that the flexibility of these props would be more forgiving and not bind against each other as a cardboard version might if you didn't pull them apart just right.

Yes.. boxes might do the same thing but I think these are designed more for pros who need to travel light.

Best,

Tim
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I have a friend who uses several of them, they are not bad, and a good value for the money. But I do not think I would surround myself with them.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
Someone should tell that little Michael magic dude about this effect. I thought the pacing for when he made the girl appear was pretty good. Mike could say "You know everything I get I make into a magic effect, infact look what I made out of my tent..." play off of the idea that hes a kid. I think that's a neat effect for the right performers.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The tent would be good. I have seen it performed in both good and bad ways.

Maybe he could get a hold of Melinda's "Fireflys" I think it would make a great piece!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Ok, hre is my two cents worth, I applaud magicians and illusion builders who make their stuff reasonable priced for all magicians to afford. As one who is on a limited budget, seeing illusions priced this low makes me want to do more with my magic. I have routines for props I can't afford. What should I do, just give up? No. I hope that more magicians and builders make illusions affordable for people like me (knowledgible than a lot of magicians but can;t afford the expensive props)
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
You have to keep in mind that not only is it affordable, it packs small and fits in the trunk of your car. For many of us, who do not travel around in a truck, that is very important also!

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I didn't like their stuff at first - it wasn't and still isn't for me. But over time, I have grown to appreciate and respect the purpose and practicality of these props. I know several people who own some of their illusions and have seen them first hand. For someone looking to add illusions to their show with limited budget and transportation (not to mention storage for down time), this stuff is great!
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
That's another point M. I live in an apartment. Storage costs a ton where I live, so I need illusions that pack flat. Personally, I wouldn't knock anyone willing to help out the magician on a budget or the magician with lack of space.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I agree about the beach balls. Other than that, you can make your own for the price they are asking.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 17:57, mtpascoe wrote:
I agree about the beach balls. Other than that, you can make your own for the price they are asking.

Can you make one that folds up into that little flat piece of fabric and then springs back into shape?

I guess that's my main point here. I am not saying its the greatest illusion ever. It's a squared circle!!!! LOL But its SO portable. That's the great benefit I see here.

Best,

Tim
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
IMHO, I love it. Its really user friendly if you ask me. Perfect for VIP appearances where you don't want to reveal too much of a magic secret to a Layman...even if he's a CEO of a company. Some illusionists use the Flash app., others use deceptive bases...This squared circle concept is great as you don't really give away 'other' magic secrets. I was once performin to a model and she said how she made a 'magical appearance' in india. There was this small table and when she looked into it, there was a huge space to fill her body up with. I mean, I honeslty don't like it when a layman tells me about magic's secrets. Theis illusion is an ideal one for me. Sure to get it soon.

JUS my opinions...
STEPHANE-ARNOW
View Profile
Regular user
FRANCE
136 Posts

Profile of STEPHANE-ARNOW
Hi
yes interesting. I was going to buy one for SANTA CLAUS production (and Santa CLAUS on the show place, not 'our comedian'. But Do you think if it is possible to move the illusion from backstage to stage directly front of the audiance (with personn hidden of course)? We don't have a curtain that we can open, with a procenium. If we want add the effect at the end, we need move the props and place it front of the audiance.. Hard ? or it need to add a skate on wheels for that?
I remember that with the shadow tent It is possible.

thanks for your help
cameroncando
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of cameroncando
Hi, I own a Cube Squared and I think it is one of the most practical illusions ever. I am a big Creative Magic fan. They have great products great quality, great customer service and fantastic prices! What more could you want from a company?

The cube squared can be done surrounded and yes STEPHANE you can load a Santa in it off stage and bring it onstage (this is covered on the DVD) but by far the best feature in all of their products is that is so dang light, durable, and easy to set up.

I own almost every illusion they have released and some for years already and have never once had a problem with any of them. I have never had to do any repairs or touch ups or anything. I can’t say that about my Zig, Zag or any of my non creative magic illusions.

Long story short I would recommend their props without any reservation to anyone wanting to get into illusions.

Cam.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2007-09-30 15:55, Timothy Drake wrote:

You could easily get cardboard boxes but the big advantage to these is that they look more pro than cardboard boxes

I disagree. What looks more innocent than a cardboard box? When Copperfield made the kitten appear from a cardboard box in the "Alcatraz" special it was far more magical than if he would have used a brightly-painted container. Especially in todays' world where our audiences have come to expect "street magic," or at least a improvisational-appearing derivative of it, a cardboard box can be more accepted, more magical.

And they're free ... or a few dollars at most.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cube Squared - Make them stop! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL