The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Custom Shoulder Holster - for your props (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
A lot has been discussed here about how to manage props for restaurant and strolling magic.

Thus far, the High Caliber Holster has been the leading product, and I do not dispute its excellent quality. However, its $300 price tag puts it out of many a-magician's price range.

I managed to find an alternative that I believe is superior to the High Caliber Holster in several ways, which can be fully customized, and costs less than $50.00.

My suggestion:
Buy this: http://eholster.com/ezio.html
Get a bunch of Nylon strap material (Wal-mart or craft store),
Get E600 All Purpose Glue (Wal-mart or craft store),
Get Industrial Strength Velcro (Wal-mart or craft store),
Get "D" rings (craft or hardware store).
Make your own pouches customized for "your" stuff - or convert existing pouchs.

Cost:
Base Shoulder Holster $29.99
Nylon Straps ($.99/yd.) $5.00
E600 Glue $2.99
Velcro $7.50
"D" Rings ($.23 each) $3.00

Comes to: $48.48

Advantages over other systems:
It's modular.
If you remove an effect from your show - remove the pouch. If you add a new one - add a new pouch.

Fully customized.
You get only what you need, not what others have declared the "essentials."

Cheaper.
Less than 20% of the price of the High Caliber Holster.

Expendable.
You don't need to worry about hurting it, because it can be replaced.

Wearability.
The shoulder holster base I suggest above is made of Ballistic Nylon, which I have found to be superior to leather in day-to-day durability. Leather conforms to shapes when heated, worked, and made wet - this means that if you change shape (lose/gain weight) a leather holster may not fit you comfortably anymore; however, the nylon holster will fit you for years to come (and change with you).

Sacrificing.
If a pouch is destroyed, you can sacrifice it. The lost pouch can be replaced, while the rest of the system remains.

Disadvantages
Improvised.
If you suck at crafts, you should let the professionals handle it. Granted, if you can cut construction paper, are aware of how to use glue, and can utilize a clamp as proficiently as a kindergartener - you can probably handle this craft project.

Pouches you make might suck.
You may need to buy pouches and just add rings and straps to make them work with the holster base. If so, I suggest http://www.qmuniforms.com. Their products are also Ballistic Nylon, and are pretty inexpensive for the quality.

Enjoy friends, and let me know how it goes.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I really like your thinking!

I am a crafter and artist. I am aware of the 'High Caliber Holster'. It looks great[real nice quality], but it doesn't appear to fit my personal requirements.

Your idea,has got me psyched...because having the basic holster platform...it can probably be built upon with the materials you suggest...to fit personal requirements.

Excellent thinking. I would like to converse with you further on this.

Best.
Rich
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
I didn't realize a holster was a common magicians utility?

Wouldn't you worry that somebody would catch a glimpse of it and think you had an illegal firearm?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was saying the samething.

Other disadvantages:

Your shirt might be damp from sweat.
Nobody would enjoy holding something you hand to them that came from near your underarm.
Patrons might not be comfortable eating after watching the props came from near your underarm.
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
I sometimes wear a white sleevless vest when performing so this pseudo firearm holster would fit my act perfectly.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
On 2007-10-02 00:39, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-01 21:01, Maestro wrote:
Wouldn't you worry that somebody would catch a glimpse of it and think you had an illegal firearm?

1: I've only had that happen on one occasion. The person who thought I had a gun was a police officer and asked me to explain what it was - no big deal.
2: It's not like it needs to be a secret. It's not a prop, it's a prop holder. If people are curious, show it to them.

Quote:
I was saying the samething.

Other disadvantages:

Your shirt might be damp from sweat.
Nobody would enjoy holding something you hand to them that came from near your underarm.
Patrons might not be comfortable eating after watching the props came from near your underarm.

1: Look into the proper way to wear a shoulder holster. It looks like it's coming from an inside pocket, not your arm pit.
2: Ever seen the sweat stain pattern on a shirt? The area your props occupy stays dry, largely because it gets the most circulating air.

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 8:29pm
Quote:

On 2007-10-02 09:27, Baggins wrote:
I sometimes wear a white sleevless vest when performing so this pseudo firearm holster would fit my act perfectly.

As long as you can leave the vest unbuttoned. It's somewhat hard to retrieve your props if you're buttoned up.

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 8:34pm
Quote:

On 2007-10-01 00:48, PaleoMagi wrote:
I really like your thinking!

I am a crafter and artist.I am aware of the 'High Caliber Holster'.It looks great[real nice quality],but it doesn't appear to fit my personal requirements.

Your idea,has got me psyched..because having the basic holster platform...it can probably be built upon with the materials you suggest...to fit personal requirements.

Excellent thinking.I would like to converse with you further on this.

Best.
Rich

The fact that you can customize it is what makes it great.

I'm not criticizing the High Caliber Holster, because everyone I've talked to who owns one loves theirs; but the product lacks the expandability, personalization, and adaptability that I wanted.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
They will call me Hart "the hitman" Keene...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Actually, if you guys want an excuse to carry a cap-gun around in your holster, I've got a hilarious effect for ya'.

PM for details.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
I guess it's just a personal thing for me, but I wouldn't wear one myself because I don't think most people would think "prop carrying device" if they caught a glipse of a holster. Even if it's clear there's no gun in it, people might wonder where the gun is! Even if it is explainable, I wouldn't want people thinking that suspiciously dressed fellow over there appears to have a concealed weapon.

Maybe this is a regional thing, Dynamike and I are both from the midwest, but around here you pretty much never see people with holsters/firearms unless they're clearly some sort of police officer, or somebody you don't want to meet in a dark ally.

Not to sound paranoid, but in this day and age after Virginia Tech many other similar incidents, I think that people are justified in being extra cautious.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
What you do is up to you, though I have a bit of a shock for you. . .

The midwestern US has the highest number of concealed carry permits per capita, so you've likely sat next to a few fellows in restaurants who where packin'. I'm guessing that it seems odd more because you wheren't aware of it yet more than anything else.

Also, by their very nature a "concealed holster" is not visible, and hence would not be seen. If you are wearing an over-shirt it's completely hidden. If it is seen, you are probably wearing it improperly.

Quote:
On 2007-10-03 12:29, Maestro wrote:
I don't think most people would think "prop carrying device" if they caught a glipse of a holster. Even if it's clear there's no gun in it, people might wonder where the gun is! Even if it is explainable, I wouldn't want people thinking that suspiciously dressed fellow over there appears to have a concealed weapon.

As I said, if you wear it correctly, they won't "catch a glimpse of it". If someone wants to see it, show them.
"What's that?"
"What this? Oh, it's a holster I made to carry my props around so I can free-up pocket space."
"Oh, I thought you might be packin' something, ha."
"Oh, no, I never carry a gun. . . while I'm working."
Followed by laughter.

What would make you "suspiciously dressed"? And again I point out that the item is not visible when worn correctly.

Like I said, it's up to you what you do; but don't pass up a great tool because of preconceptions you may have about what others might think.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
All this speculation about appearing as if you are packing firearms is silly and capricious.
I would have already purchaed the excellent and apparently high quality 'High Caliber Holster'[$300+]if it met my personal needs.I am not going to pay more to have it custom made for my needs.

That is why this idea intrigues me.I think I will be able to construct a 2 sided holster that fits my requirements for my particular props.

All this nonsense about 'sweat,armpits and such'is rediculous.It is not surprising who it came from. Smile

A properly adjusted holster set-up is positioned so that the important prop holding area is positioned at side mid chest to upper waist.
How do I know? I know because I already wear a single side holster occasionally which is virtually invisible to onlookers.

As I stated,I like the idea of building from a basic platform to meet my personal requirements.Not to mention freeing up pockets and eliminating pocket bulge.

Rich
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Quote:
On 2007-10-02 09:27, Baggins wrote:

I think our american brothers missed this one Baggins as they call a waistcoat a vest, unless you were being serious in which case John McLane 'Magician' could be a great stage name
Keep passing the open windows!
HCM
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of HCM
Hi everyone!

I thought I would join in a bit. I think if you have the skills to put this thing together, you should go for it! The High Caliber Holster is really made for working professionals. The pros who buy them spend more time working on their magic, and don't have the time to try and make their own. Plus, they easily pay for it with one gig. If you are not a working pro, then I can see where it might be hard to come up with money like that for your hobby. So if you are looking to make something you can use that won't cost a lot of money, this could work. It may not look real pretty, but if you keep it concealed that shouldn't be a problem! I know how hard it is to make pouches the right size, and find out where to put them, it's hard. It took me two years before mine was right. The HCM holsters have quickly become the industry standard among the pros, but it was a very long journey. With that said, I wish you all the best on this endeavor.

Quote:
On 2007-10-03 23:41, PaleoMagi wrote:
I would have already purchaed the excellent and apparently high quality 'High Caliber Holster'[$300+]if it met my personal needs.

Rich,

In many cases, a custom holster can actually end up costing much less than the standard holster. I also do many adjustments at no charge if you ask. And depending on your design, it could cost less than the two holsters we currently make. Let me know what your needs are, I'd love to see if I can help. You are welcome to email me or call me at (818)312-2736. I don't want to come on the Café and pitch my product too much, it's not my intention. So, I'd prefer to talk specifics somewhere else. But I don't mind answering basic questions that will benefit everyone online.

Regards,

Joel Broock
High Caliber Magic
Joel Broock
High Caliber Magic, LLC
www.highcalibermagic.com
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I swear by the High Caliber Holster, the quality, the service, and the how great the product works. I understand not everyone can afford it, however like Joel said if this would work for you then go for it. I personally do not have time to do stuff like that and I prefer to have something that I know was made for my purpose.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
You guys ever hear of pockets? You only need a few of them!

The more you perform, the less you need...Smile
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
HCM
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of HCM
Hart,

The only problem with actually using your pockets, is that the pockets in a jacket are not really supposed to be used the way we use them. I agree that a professional doesn't need all that much to work a room, but for most of us it's an issue how to carry. With the holster, all of my carry material is in it's place, plus my pant pockets are free to carry an extra deck if I need it. But I try not to carry anything my pants either, it doesn't look good. And the most important part of it all, my jacket pockets are empty. In fact, I don't even cut the pockets open on a new suit. The jacket pockets should never be cut because then they can hang open, and that looks bad. The jacket lays better if you never open those pockets, any expert would agree. It really comes down to what you need. If you don't carry anything more than a deck, some coins, and a thumb tip, then you are set. But for the rest of us, we need another solution.

The absolute most important part of being a professional entertainer is that you must look good. Your appearance is everything, because you are the face of the party. So, you must not be frumpy with bulging pockets. And you must be sure that your props are in their place, where they belong.

Also, the HCM holster is designed after a gun holster. It is made so it does not flash. And if for some reason someone sees it, it is a professionally made nice looking holster. So if you make your own, make sure it looks professional too. I even know some people who wear their holsters over their shirt. I guess it's kind of a cool look for some, but not for everyone.

Whatever works for you the best, is what you need.

My $0.03

Joel Broock
High Caliber Magic
Joel Broock
High Caliber Magic, LLC
www.highcalibermagic.com
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
If you need an extra carrying device then I would go with this over a "fanny pack" type device. I have said it in another thread but I feel that those are way out dated, especially to younger crowds. I think they look a lot worse than bulging pockets.

Sorry Frank but that is just how I feel.

But I guess if we all dressed the same life would get pretty boring!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I wear mine under a jacket on my belt. nobody sees it. I don't keep a ton of stuff in mine but what I do keep in it makes a big difference from what I used to do.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Joel,
At $300.00 does this item come with any type of guarantee?
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
The holster just says to me "awkward to do a deck switch" heh
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Custom Shoulder Holster - for your props (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL