The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mirror Penetration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
I am interested in the mirror penetration - not the one with the f*** h***, but the one with two holes for your arms in the center and you go from behind - grab the cloth through the holes, raise it up - walk through within a second.

Who builds this, what is it real name for it, who has the rights for it etc, etc...any info would be great.

Thanks for your help.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
It's called mirror passage.
Invented by Luis de Matos and Wellington makes and sells these, see:
http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/mirrpass.html

I hope this helps.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
308 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
It was invented by Luis de Matos, the actual name for it is the Mirror Passage.

Wellington builds a nice looking one that sells for $6250 w/ ATA.

http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/mirrpass.html

Sam
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Is this actually patented? Cause I believe I figured this one out and ironically enough I just started working at a glass/mirror shop so I think I have access to all the tools to build it, and would love to perform it live. Also the shop I work at throws away a lot of decent size pieces of mirror they call scrap so I any one needs any glass or mirror let me know and I will see what I can do for ya.
Peace all!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 09:04, juggling1 wrote:
Is this actually patented? cause I believe I figured this one out and ironically enough I just started working at a glass/mirror shop so I think I have access to all the tools to build it, and would love to perform it live. also the shop I work at throws away a lot of decent size pieces of mirror they call scrap so I any one needs any glass or mirror let me know and I will see what I ca do for ya.
peace all!

I doubt very much that this holds a patent. VERY few things in magic do. That doesn't give you the right to copy it. Ethical performers respect the designers rights to his/her creation and purchase it if they really want to perform it. I'd suggest that you don't build this.

Best,

Tim
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
308 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Yes, Tim is right, do the correct thing and don't copy this!

Another alternative is that you could build yourself a walk-around style penetration, as I'm sure it is public domain.

Sam
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 09:35, Sam Pearce wrote:
Yes, Tim is right, do the correct thing and don't copy this!

Another alternative is that you could build yourself a walk-around style penetration, as I'm sure it is public domain.

Sam

Hello Sam,

The walk-around style actually belongs to Andrew Mayne. Its a bargain as the simple purchase of his book allows you to build and perform it.

Best,

Tim
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
308 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Tim, I did not know this, thanks for the info!

Sam
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
471 Posts

Profile of reynold
I personally think the Mayne's version is the most practical, lightweight, compact, and you start clean and end clean, unlike the Luis the matos one. Also, when was the last time you have seen a mirror with holes cut through? I don't think it makes sense. You need three assistants to perform the Mirror passage and for the price I will go with Mayne's.

just my thoughts,
Reynold
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
I've looked at these and I have to totally agree with Reynold. I've done the Mayne Style with a chain link fence and it used to get a really big response. The Mayne style is cleaner.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 10:16, reynold wrote:
I personally think the Mayne's version is the most practical, lightweight, compact, and you start clean and end clean, unlike the Luis the matos one. Also, when was the last time you have seen a mirror with holes cut through? I don't think it makes sense. You need three assistants to perform the Mirror passage and for the price I will go with Mayne's.

just my thoughts,
Reynold

Reynold My Friend,

It seems we are back to this effect verses practicality thing again. LOL I like the Mirror Passage effect much more ( a personal opinion ) as the instant passage through the mirror really freaked me when I first saw it. BUT.... considering the price of the Mirror Passage and the size of it I'd also have to vote for Mayne's for most performers. It takes up MUCH less room, is much lighter and is a strong effect. The fact that its a one person illusion has a lot of bearing as well.

Best,

Tim
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
I've owned and performed the Luis De Matos version. Very big, heavy, and fragile prop (Real Mirror here--not plexi). Wellington did a great job as always, on the construction...but sometimes it was like walking on eggshells during the assembly: tighten a screw too much and crack!...that chunk of mirror is busted.

With regard to the Mayne penetration--
I've played with it in various forms over the years...it seems that it depends on what you're "penetrating", as to how much response the audience gives.

Keith Jozsef
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Well you can't talk about mirror penetration without mentioning Peter Loughran's Devil's Reflection. It seems to be a good blend of effect and practicality.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
471 Posts

Profile of reynold
Well, Mike I have never seen Devils reflection. But I am sure is a great effect.

But of all walking thru mirrors the best in practicability is Mayne's. For audience response and most convincing is Steinmeyer's. Luis the matos version, evaluating it from impact point of view (not for practicability) I think that having lines and holes in the mirror is as incoherent as wrapping a girl during a chair suspension or gamolo levitation.

Thanks,
Reynold
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
What is the name of Mayne's mirror illusion and what book is in?

Thanks,

Las
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
It's called RazorWire. You walk through barbed wire that is going across a frame.
-Matt
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
Actually, the effect is called A-frame, from Andrew's book Solo-X. Razorwire was a subsequent variation to the original.

Keith Jozsef
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 16:56, reynold wrote:
Well, Mike I have never seen Devils reflection. But I am sure is a great effect.

You can see it here:

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/master_o......efle.htm
Ben Pratt
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Ben Pratt
I own a devils reflection, I like it a lot.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
471 Posts

Profile of reynold
Guys, I found this version on luis the matos mirror penetration and it looks very good and it solves the problem of starting and ending clean via a a base.
check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cEgs2XoC......illusion

Reynold
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mirror Penetration (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL