The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Obedient Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
There are several versions of this but basically 3 or 4 silks are tied in a knot to a silk ribbon or rod or hanger and in any order the audience chooses, they untie themselves. I'm not sure when or why I purchased this thing many years ago but I'm trying to figure out some kind of comic twist for this effect. I don't remember ever performing it in a show (that's 20-years give or take).

So far here's what I'm thinking about: I measure a kids head (or brain) with a tape measure (maybe a stethoscope) and test their brain power (It will of course be mighty impressive for a whatever-year old). Then I might use the old metal spaghetti strainer and egg beater bit to pump up their brain waves a bit as they call out the color of the silk THEY want to untie. They of course do untie and child gets applause for making it all happen.

OK, there is my idea. Got any improvements or even alternatives? Anybody else use Obedient Silks and if so, how do you present it?
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I did the routine with the coathanger and 4 silks. I would say to a child "you have the choice. yellow RED green blue. just wich one do you want yellow RED green blue.(the idea is to force the red one. so say RED very loud. children will take another one)

child says yellow. wiggle you fingers - another silk falls but not yellow.
lets try it with a magic (bongo) hat - again another silk falls but not yellow
lets us a magic wand - pop away wand - again another silk falls but not yellow
lets do everthing together - and yellow falls.

this was a 7 minute routine. lots of fun and happening. no child on stage.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have found that kids with AARP cards like this too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Hey Robert,

I really like your presentation as a way to give personality and entertainment value to this effect. Things mess up but all is right in the end. Good stuff.

Derrick
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Robert's routine is quite like the Mark Leveridge routine so if you enjoyed Robert's ideas ML's book might be worth checking out for further ideas. (I can't remember if it's in Magic party 1 or 2 but I'm sure you could ask before buying).

ON a side note although his routine has some nice ideas the prop he sells with it is not so great. It's a large wand that the silks drop from and it's pretty obvious there could be any kind of mechanism hidden behind it. I find the coat hanger and ribbon versions very magical though.

I tried it a couple of times with the coat hanger and one problem I came across was when I gave the kid a wand they tried to knock the silks off by hitting it with the wand!

George
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
This could also be used as a nice warm-up or group trick. I have the three silk set-up.

Have all the kids raise one finger in the air and wiggle it at the Red silk. The yellow one unties and falls off. Then have all the kids wiggle all five fingers at the Red silk (four fingers and a thumb). The green one unties and falls off. Then have the kids wiggle all 10 fingers at the Red silk. The red silk falls off. They give themselves applause for finally getting right and now everyone has just had the opportunity to participate in the show.

This is much shorter than Robert's and is a little bit like a number of coloring book routines I've seen but it might be a good alternative for a repeat booking.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Derrick nice idea.

I like it when you can use a trick in different situations and lengths.

magic george I go looking for the Leveridge book. Thanks for the tip.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Does anyone know the official name of this (with the coat hanger)?

I thought it was The Enchanted Hanger, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere (and I am interested in getting one).

Brian
Belleque
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Belleque
Yes the most popular version of this was the Enchanted Hanger. I purchased mine many years ago from Duane Laflin. Unfortunately I do not know who might be selling them now. Interestingly enough out of all the shows I do for churches this is the only trick that someone ever protested to!(They thought it was telekenisis!) After 30 years of shows! There is also a ribbon version of this effect called I believe - you guessed it - Silks off Ribbon!

Brett
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
I've been thinking about putting the silks with the color changing bow-tie. The wrong silk falls off, but the bowtie changes to the color that the person call outs. Any thoughts?
Jerry Smile
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Robbins has one but it is from India and is very fragile. The bottom piece keeps falling off. I think it can be glued. Since Robbins is a wholesaler, you would have to get it from dealer.
It is called Silks off Hanger (clever, huh?)
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Obedient Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL