The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Honest opinions on this course (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Robert Shields has a certification course in hypnotherapy. read material then take an independent test for a couple hundred.

Obviously if one had the time and cash a week or more live training is best, but for the full time worker with no time out for things like live training this it seems to be just the thing.

Honest opinions (in light of a very busy schedule).

As a basis for beggining Stage work, being the reference.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
The original question was, is it a good foundation for stage work. I think a clinical training program is vital for any stage hypnotist. A lot of stage hypnotists don't have any clinical background and a good course, even homstudy can help with these learnings. One who only intends to do stage work and doesn't want the expense or time commitment of a clinical trianing course would be a good candidate for a homestudy certification course. It will supply a base of knowledge that is important for success in stage hypnosis.

I am a believer that those with the proper people skills, intellectual level and learning style can benefit from a homestudy hypnosis course. That being said, no "homestudy" course will equip one without a basis of education and people skills to do hypnosis without further study and experience. Any homestudy course should be considered an starting point, not a finishing point. Mentorship, texts, DVD's and other learning tools should follow any basic course of study.

I am unfamiliar with the program you ask about. These are good questions in evaluating any homestudy course:
1.) Do a variety of learning media accompany the course, or is it only delivered in one learning format (DVD,Text, Computer modules vs. a simple "text course")
2.) Is the instructor licensed by the state or recognized/certified by organizations they have not created themselves.
3.) Do the courses make fantastical or realistic claims about what you can accomplish or about the organization it represents (There are no rules on who can create a certifying body. Anyone with a printer can "certify" anyone else. No laws regarding this exist. So it is really a "nationlly recognized" organization or just a creation of the sellers mind).
4.) Can you talk to other students of the presenter?
5.) Does the creator of the course have a relationship with other hypnosis organizations and are they published or only "self-published"
6.) Does the creator speak and teach at OTHER hypnosis organizations annual meetings, conventions, etc.
7.) When you "google" the creators name, are the results only commercial, or do they seem to imply a broad base of recognition.

Some programs are better than others. Using the above questions as a guide can help you sort out the quality of any homestudy program.

Again, a homestudy course can be a great learning experience, if you have the right background to benefit and the materials are well prepared.
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Hi, kingstardog,
My background is in Ericksonian / indirect hypnosis etc however I do have this course.

It is a secure ebook type file, all text based. I can tell you that Robert teaches in an honest and ethical manner and there are far worse places to start if you want to begin to practice hypnotherapy.

I would not reccomend this course if you want to do a stage act, from the viewpoint that it does not teach it, however I would recommend anyone who wishes to do a stage hypnosis act to train in clinical hypnosis and learn as much sa they can first.

One thing that you cannot substitute is practical experience (when I first started out I went on many residential courses) so this is important to bear in mind.

My stance on stage hypnosis is that it is certainly not for me (for many reasons), I don't like it at all, however if you are to train in it it is advisable to have a strong knowledge base in your arsenal.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
If you haven't taken a course that was made for doctors; if you haven't taken a State approved course with State Certification; if you have been trained by licesned teachers: You're wasting your time and prepare for the worst.

If you don't 'have the time' to take a professional course get out of the field. A real course takes around 3 months. 3 months.....not 8 years like some professions. I have had to clean up too many messes from too many clubs and agents from 'tists' who read a book or watched a video or, God help us all, took a weekend course and hurt people.

Do it right or don't do it.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

>Do it right or don't do it.

I didn't want to say too much for fear of fueling the fire to a similar thread which went on and on a while back in another part of the Café but Kevin has a point.

I didn't go into the reasons why I do not like stage hypnosis and each person has to make up heir own minds but also be aware that it is not just stage hypnotists that cause messes to clear up....

One particular instance springs to mind when I had to clear up something someone else started, a qualified counsellor who decided to try a "visualisation" which (unbeknown to her) turned into a regression... the person in mind left the office eyes open, still in trance (not that the counsellor even thought her client was in a trance) regressed to 6 years old.

There is a lot more to it than that but to say it was a frightening hour for her until I was called would be a huge understatement. I guess my point is that even a "professional" can get it wrong and get out of their depth...
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Great, more "fear of hypnosis" stories. Hypnosis is a natural state. If a person leaves the office in trance, they will become more alert and more awake and soon realize they are NOT 6 even without intervention form one who is "qualified". The movie "Officespace" was a fiction movie. Nobody can get "stuck" hypnotized. If a person does not naturally exit a trance state (something every one of us does many times every day), then they are having a psychotic break, and that is caused by psychosis NOT hypnosis, and they would have had apsychotic break at some point with or without hypnosis.
Hypnosis is not something someone does TO someone. All hypnosis is self-hypnosis.
readytogo
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of readytogo
Here Here
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Nongard1

I am not spreading "fear of hypnosis" stories here, the person I had to help was traumatised, she was regressed and left an office to meet her partner as a 6 year old, she had simply been told to open her eyes and leave the building. By the time she arrived there she was petrified and suffered a panic attack in the toilets of a restaurant (which she wouldn't leave by the time I arrived.) Nobody was even trying to say that someone was stuck at 6 etc, there was more to it than that.

Also, nobody is trying to claim that someone was stuck in a trance and as for the movie you mentioned I am not familiar with it so I cannot comment on that.

What I can comment on is the fact that a human being suffered at a direct result of another person's negligence and I can comment because I was directly involved in helping the person.

I am relating something which actually happened from an ethical standpoint. I (and probably everyone else reading this) is well aware of what hypnosis is and isn't and whichever way you look at it, taking a flippant attitude towards the way in which people, participants, clients, whatever, are treat is, in the very least, doing them a disservice.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and I am not going to get bogged down in petty arguments or long threads here and as far as I am concerned I am not posting on this thread anymore as I have already expressed mine.

FIN
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19818 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Good.

Last thing we need is to feed hysteria.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Especially since people can't get "stuck" hypnotized and regressed to six for the rest of their lives without "expert" intervention. All hypnosis is self-hypnosis. A person will either fall into a deep and natural sleep, or wake up on thier own if not "de-hypnotized" properly. Office Space was a FICTIONAL movie, that was the humor in it...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19818 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So was the Bugs Bunny episode where that happened. Although the part where he was hit with an anvil was real I heard.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

It seems that nobody actually reads the posts they are attacking. Go figure. There is only one person feeding the fire here.
Back to the Original topic.
Kingstardog - If you want to know anything about the course (or speak to others who have it) then PM me and I can hook you up.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Yes, and I understand at the college I performed at over a year ago they are still running around picking up paper napkins off the ground that they think are $100 bills and hiding them where no one would ever look. Its great for the maintenance department :>)

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I once knew about a guy who got stuck...no, wait a minute...I think that story has a vanishing hitchhiker.

That part where Bugs Bunny got hit by an anvil was fake...it is not well known that Bugs Bunny was a former professional wrestler. The anvil was his finishing move.

I think someone was desperate for attention and sucked others into their drama...I doubt this had anything to do with hypnosis.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Well this drifted off point, but I feel like throwing gas on a fire:

No nongard you cant get 'stuck in hypnosis'. But if someone without REAL training messed and regressed someone to 6 years old (and there was a serious trama at that age) then the subject would have to deal with it right then and there.

Are they stuck in hypnosis...no. Are they stuck with a real problem with no one around to help them.. yes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19818 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 02:02, kevinuncanny wrote:
Well this drifted off point, but I feel like throwing gas on a fire:

No nongard you cant get 'stuck in hypnosis'. But if someone without REAL training messed and regressed someone to 6 years old (and there was a serious trama at that age) then the subject would have to deal with it right then and there.

Are they stuck in hypnosis...no. Are they stuck with a real problem with no one around to help them.. yes.

Actually, no.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
"IF"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19818 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Kevin please tell me you ae not going to use the term "abreaction" next LOL.

You are mixing very old school very discredited thought, with urban legends.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
In response to the original question, I've taken this course as well. It's not that great if you're looking to get stage tips from it, but it is decent from the clinical side. It is a text only course, over a three month period, iirc, at which point you take the test. I would supplement this course by either joining a practice group in your area (look on Meetup.com, for example) or by setting up a practice group yourself. Either way you go with the practice group, it would be valuable to have an established and fully trained hypnotist in the group, as well as all the people learning.

That said, I'd actually almost recommend something else instead. I've found another program that is audio-based, with accompanying PDFs, and teaches Ericksonian and traditional hypnosis, with loads of exercises to do. It doesn't offer a certificate of any sort at the end, however, which may mean it's not one you'd want. It also doesn't go into great detail on the therapy part (meaning the approaches for "fixing" various issues and whatnot). I'd post a link to it, but the only link I have is an affiliate link and I don't want to abuse the forum. Smile

If you're interested in this, feel free to PM me and I'll give you the link.

Back to the Robert Shields course. It's decent and a workable introduction, but by no means is it enough to open a practice with. IMO. You definitely want to supplement it with practice groups and perhaps even supervision/mentoring from a local hypnotist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Honest opinions on this course (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL