The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Double Back Stock (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
I have using double-back cards for quite awhile now and in fact have constructed a few of my own routines around them. I think their great gaffs and have been interested in them after finding out that this gaff is what Vernon used to fool Houdini.

Here's my issue:

Whenever I buy double-back cards by the deck from California Card Co. and Murphy's Magic, the double-backs are not printed on a standard bicycle stock. The stock is got a gloss to it and smoother on one side. Not only that but the stock isn't even really white! It really shows on the border but the stock is an off-white, so it stands out when added to a deck.
Whenever I have to use one of these, I have always looked past this and it flies, but the other day whenever performing at the shop I work at I had 2 people that day, ask, "Hey, why's that card shinier?!" and the other just told me "that card is a different color". The different color we was talking about was the fact that the borders looked yellow. My girlfriend noticed this a long time ago. This is very annoying. If it was an issue in my performance my responses would different and I would fix that, but they were commenting on the aestetics of the cards. The frustrating thing is that this brings attention to the card I don't attention brought to!

I try to use double back cards from the assortment deck supplied by Magic Makers (these cards are on a bicycle stock), since they look right. The problem is there aren't very many in there and the deck is much pricier than a deck of 52 double back cards made by California Card CO. What's frustrating is that this only with double back cards. The double face, blank face, blank back, and double blank cards from California Card CO. are on bicycle stock and aren't yellow or glossy at all.

Besides this rant I have a couple questions for Café-ers(that's a word now). First Have you ever noticed this with the double back cards? Secondly, Do you know where to get a deck of double back cards that really are on bicycle stock?
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Contact Haines House Of Cards. They should be able to help you.

http://www.haineshoc.com/

Mark.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
Besides this rant I have a couple questions for Café-ers(that's a word now). First Have you ever noticed this with the double back cards? Secondly, Do you know where to get a deck of double back cards that really are on bicycle stock?

Yes I have noticed this. It is even worse when you get a deck that is printed a lighter shade of red (nearly pink) and you end up with a noticeable color change... not exactly the magical effect you were looking for. I lament the fact that the Fun Shop (our local brick and mortar shop) no longer carries magic. At least there you could inspect a deck before you committed to buy.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings JC;
Drop me a line with your mailing address and let me know if you need R/R, R/B, or B/B double backers and I will send you some

All the Best
Marty
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Cool, thanks Marty, I'll do that.

I know what you mean Bill, I just looked at the double backers I was complaining about and they ARE PINK. Well maybe not pink but a faded red. They don't blend in with my deck and seems to be to defeat the purpose.

Well I just wanted to know if anyone has noticed this too, and where to get good ones, and it seems both of my questions have been answered.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Quote:
On 2007-10-04 17:05, martini wrote:
Greetings JC;
Drop me a line with your mailing address and let me know if you need R/R, R/B, or B/B double backers and I will send you some

All the Best
Marty

Does that go for JT as well, send me some too.....just yankin yer chain Marty, you are the best.

NUMS
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Nums;
You still looking to get adopted? lol

I will have the new Rainbow decks on Friday next week 10/12/07. The U.S. Playing Card Co. changed some cards I laid out for this deck, but the proofs look great. There is a great variety and color combination in this deck and a couple special gaffs are being printed in the pack as well for other uses.

I leave Saturday night and get back the end of next week, I'll be able to let you know more when I return. The decks will be arriving while I am away..and guess who gets to unload the truck???...

All the Best
Marty
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Rainbow decks??(!!) Marty... count me in! Please let me know more when you have more info.

evanjunko@msn.com

Thanks!
Evan
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
HI Marty have you ever seen or have in large quantity double backed cards that are NOT Red/Blue say a Green/Yellow or any other two colors.

TIA
Scott
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Scott;
I have Bicycle backed with Tally-ho's factory printed in quanity, but other colors that are double backed, I have not seen any printed.
While they can be hand made, the cost gets too expensive, but on the other hand, having 10,000 decks printed is way to many and very expensive also.
Part of the problem with getting something custom printed is that it takes a long time from start to finish. For example on the rainbow deck, I had to lay out the 52 cards with backs that I wanted to use. Then I had to hand make each card so that it had a white border which involved inlaying the backs. This deck then had to go the the playing card co. who in turn makes the final decision as to what they will and will not print. In this case they turned down many cards which they said they had no idea who owned them. This was confusing because they were cards that came from my personal collection of cards from 1910 up to date, all printed by the U.S. Playing Card Co.
So back and forth, the cards went, designs were turned down, certain colors were turned down and such until the deck was finally approved. Then the 4 extra cards (usually two jokers and two advertsiing cards) needed to be designed to give 4 extra trick cards that can be used in other tricks and routines.
All of this back and forth took over a year and a half from the time the deck was initially submitted. I finally took delivery of my rainbow decks today.
While I do a lot of card gaffing, I do not custom print cards. You can check with two of the other card guys here on the Café (Cardmaker & Cardshark) both of which do printing and can possibly help you with making a special deck custom printed. It will not be a cheap deck to have made, but it will be a one of a kind. They can also give you a price on a quantity of the same card if you are planning on putting a new item on the market.
If you decide to go the whole magilla and get a deck custom printed by the U.S. Playing Card Co., contact me by private message or e-mail and I will try to help you by letting you know a lot of the details and tips that can keep your costs down.
Hope this has answered your question and helped some
All the Best
Marty
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Your dvd was very useful to me in making my own gaffs. Thanks!
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I second that. Martini is the man.

Andy
Cards never lie
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
I appreciate that very much, I am always glad to hear that my information is helpful to others. I am always around to help if you have any questions.
All the Best
Marty
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Marty,

your DVD is my bible for gaffing. The fun I had with it and thanks to it can not be measured in $.

Andy
Cards never lie
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Andy;
Many Thanks for that kind comment.
All the Best
Marty
dncmagic
View Profile
New user
Gettysburg Pa
57 Posts

Profile of dncmagic
If you want bicycle doubled back card on bicycle stock, why are you buying them from california card company and not the uspcc where bikes are actually made. I have double backed made by the company that makes bikes and they match perfectly to the rest of my bikes, I got them here and I cant tell the gaffs from the real ones
http://www.magic.org/store/product_info......._id=2306
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Double Back Stock (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL