The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Keeping it moving... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JasonLinett
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, VA
202 Posts

Profile of JasonLinett
This post is meant to stir some ideas and hopefully create (or destroy!) some new ones.

In my stand-up show, I've started to work in the concept of getting one or two ahead. I don't mean this in terms of method, but in presentation. Here's an attempt at an explanation... Let's break a demonstration down into three elements - procedure, process, and revelation. The procedure is the steps required to create the final moment. The middle element is the process in which you present your mental skill.

Procedure: Secretly bend the spoon
Process: Intense focus
Revelation: The spoon "visually" bends

Procedure: Peek via a center tear
Process: Look into their eyes, touch their shoulder, etc.
Revelation: Tell the the name of their pets.

My attempt is now to blur the line of procedure. Cut down the time of the "work" within a show to allow more focus on the process and revelations. Thoughts?

To further explain my idea, an example would be to have the information already obtained from a peek while readying a spoon bend. Think pre-show done during the show.

Spoons handed out within the course of a billet sequence so all you have to do is take them back from the audience. The goal is to maintain clarity in performance - so don't go bending a spoon while revealing the name of a woman's pets. The goal is to achieve "the work" earlier and cleaner.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
If I've got this right, you're getting the information for the next (or next but one) revelation while performing the current effect, and so on. I can see how that could divorce possible cause from effect. Does it get complicated?
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Spectator should be only aware of two things: Process & revelation. They should not be aware of procedure.
To believe is Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Keeping it moving... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL