The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Witches Almanac (Outlaw Effects) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18325 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I can't help but sing "witches almanac" to the similar sounding song by The Kinks...
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
I just distressed the cover of the spiral bound edition until the title was impossible read. I did the same to the title page inside(or you could just pull the page out). An easy fix, but probably a bit more work with the CE version.
I just refer to it as a "weird fortune telling book". More of novelty item than a genuine occult item. Mine however is haunted......
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Thanks Bob and Joshua for the advice! Yes it is audience management and control that's key. I shall probaly just refer to WA as 'An old historical book about witches' among laymen then.
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Nice idea Necroloid,may I ask what and how did you distress the title cover? Haunted you say? Smile
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
I just used fine sand paper and sanded down a few letters on the cover. If you were to actually read the cover, it would now read: Th* **ches Al**ana*
As for presentation, I refer to it as a fortune telling book that my great grandmother used to own. She would take the book out of her "box of things" after dinner, and the family would take turns finding their fortune. My great grandmother had a strange knack of knowing the fortunes before they were revealed to the other family members. I inherited this book and I am finding that I am gaining the same ability.
That is how I play it up. I guess possessed may be better word than haunted.
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Ok fine sandpaper. Il remember that if I decide to destroy the title. and nice presentation. I don't think friends would believe that tale if I told them, so Il use the 'found it in an antique shop' ploy.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Sure, MI. Use whatever works for you. I prefer staying away from the whole "occult" or "witch" angle for this prop. I do not even mention that it is haunted or such. The specs will come to their own conclusion.
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Yeah I would focus more on historical research on false and real witches at that time and make it more theoretical factual, if that makes sense. yeah the specs should come to their own conclusion from the result of the effect. Thanks again Necro
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2612 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
As for presentation, I refer to it as a fortune telling book that my great grandmother used to own.

necroloid. I agree. (For me)WA works better as a folksy/white witch/fortune telling type book.

I leave a certain "other" old publication for the dark side of witchery. Smile
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Roth rocks! Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I'd be interested in knowing the differences between Luna and WA...and if anyone does both in the same show.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Hey David, I ordered both already, so if youd like I can post a full review of Luna and WA here when it arrives next week.
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of dennper
Same as Necro, I did this to my almanac a long time ago ...

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470......0110.jpg

and I refer to mine as the 'Book of Truths'
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-09-08 00:35, Mind illusionist wrote:
Hey David, I ordered both already, so if youd like I can post a full review of Luna and WA here when it arrives next week.

That's very kind of you, MI!

I am completely familiar with Luna. It's one of my favorite all time effects. I am not familiar with WA.

So I am primarily interested in how they differ from each other. I'd appreciate thoughts on this very much.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 08:13, necroloid wrote:
I just used fine sand paper and sanded down a few letters on the cover. If you were to actually read the cover, it would now read: Th* **ches Al**ana*
As for presentation, I refer to it as a fortune telling book that my great grandmother used to own. She would take the book out of her "box of things" after dinner, and the family would take turns finding their fortune. My great grandmother had a strange knack of knowing the fortunes before they were revealed to the other family members. I inherited this book and I am finding that I am gaining the same ability.
That is how I play it up. I guess possessed may be better word than haunted.

That's the solution.

I've been considering the same thing myself. I do mostly corporate shows and some members of the audience would totally freak if I pulled out anything with "Witches" anywhere on it. They'll buy a fortune telling concept though.

This is the perfect idea. Thank you.

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
If you want, a very fine grain sandpaper (180 grain)will easily sand off some of the letters from the word Dekranom from the copyright page.

To be honest we've sold this book for 3-4 years and I've never had a buyer email me to say someone "discovered" anything online.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Anyone from the UK(or anywhere I guess) should read up on the Pendle Witches and the surrounding trials. Would make a great frame for anything Witching
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2121 Posts

Profile of RCP
Cool ideas. I had my Lillian’s diary hand copied because it didn’t feel right to have a girls diary type written but in the end, I have decided, if people are looking on the internet during your show you got bigger problems.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
915 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Just a quick question is the Hardbound CE Edition the same as the original spiral bound copy? Which version do people think would play the best and finally is the hardbound version aged as per the original with the supplied tarot cards?

Sorry for all the questions.

Warmest Regards
Dr Rob.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2011-09-08 19:54, DrRob wrote:
Just a quick question is the Hardbound CE Edition the same as the original spiral bound copy? Which version do people think would play the best and finally is the hardbound version aged as per the original with the supplied tarot cards?

Sorry for all the questions.

Warmest Regards
Dr Rob.

The Hardbound is the same book as the spiral. It is beautifully aged and does come with the 5 cards. I can't say which would play best because it is a personal preference.

We have sold more spiral.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Witches Almanac (Outlaw Effects) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL