The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Witches Almanac (Outlaw Effects) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Another large batch of freshly "brewed" Witch books went out today!

Dr. Bill and I get emails everyday from buyers that are blown away by the Almanac, and we'd like to thank you guys for taking the time to let us know how happy you are.

More books are shipping on tuesday, so if you're waiting, check your mailbox this week!

Thanks

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
Just thought I'd bump this as a thanks to Rick and to echo all the other posts about just how good this puppy is...

I ordered this back in the dark age of November last year but only finally got my paws on a copy a little over a week ago. It transpired that the extended delay was due to some hideous postal troll having lost/stolen/eaten the original copy Rick sent. When we figured that out, then Rick swung into action and duly got another one sent out to me as soon as he could which promptly arrived with no problem. Much kudos to Rick is due. Smile

Whilst it would of course have been far nicer not to have to wait, now that I have the book it was worth it. It is a fantastic work and I can only add my vote to all the good things that've been said. Of all my Outlaw books, Reflections has been my most used. This takes the basic Reflections idea and wraps an already excelent method in magic gold. Beautifully aged, totally convincing, and as spooky and hard hitting as you want to play it. This book really is gob-smackingly good...

So as to avoid being tooo gushing however, it does have one major flaw. I am now far too attached to this thing of beauty to want to place it in the grubby, unwashed hands of a spectator. This makes for a serious problem in performance. Anyone got any ideas? Smile
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
Wrap it in an old ratty cloth that you "found it in". ask them not to habndle it except for carfeully flipping the pages. Tell them that the pages are very brittle because they are so old. You liar, hehe. Or give them rubber gloves and tell them you have a contagious rash. I would probably go with the first one though.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I have my homicide books in plastic bags such as used for protecting evidence or comic books.

Also have some white gloves for people to wear because the books might make your hands dirty and are collectors items.

I did not come up with this presentation as a way to protect the book but as a way of conveying caution should be taken when handling them.
They become even more interesting.

Most people have seen important and fragile documents handled with white gloves on.
(I think I picked up my gloves at a pharmacy or uniform store.)

I would do the same with any of Ricks aged products.
Just to up the value of them in the audiences eyes.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I have just finished ageing mine even more. It now has a nice polished almost shiny cover - which has given it the look that its been used a thousand times. Then I went over every single page with me Mums ageing kit and now every page has a crispy and crusty old feel to it - I was a little worried about doing this to my Dekranom but the final result really does look like its really been used by a fortune teller from, shall we say, one of the less than reputable carnivals -

I would never make the Unsub wear gloves though, the tactility is part of it for me and at the moment I am ageing and distressing a piece of expensive leather to wrap it up in which I will imprint the Sanctum seal onto.

I also placed the book in the mailing envelope my Sanctum 3 came in and it has absorbed the aroma just wonderfully.

Declan Ring
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Nice Ideas Jim ans Declan! Thanks.....
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Quote:
On 2008-02-20 08:53, Silvertongue wrote:
I have just finished ageing mine even more.

I have just aged mine even more than that. I will continue to age mine until I get to the point that I cannot age it even another 32 minutes. Then I will continue to age it. I was up until very late last night aging the book. The first thing I did this morning was to continue aging the book. I will continue the book aging process this evening, but not until I have aged the book even more.
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Quote:
On 2008-02-20 07:53, Jim-Callahan wrote:
I have my homicide books in plastic bags such as used for protecting evidence or comic books.

I do this too except I have aged the bags. I mean REALLY aged them.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2829 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Rick and I get emails almost every day singing the praises of The Witches' Almanac. It is good for my soul (The one I keep in a jar on my desk) to see how much pleasure our humble efforts are bringing others. Keep up the great work and continue to let us know how WA is playing for you and any ideas you might want to share. Thanks!
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I use a burlap bag, it’s aged with tea and bees wax. On the front I have a pentagram that also has the information I need on it. I then use the bag to lay the book and stones on, and a small candle just for ascetics
The bag with the book is placed in a small wooden box, aged very well. Inside the box is also another small burlap bag, with the stones I use with the book. I am waiting for the tarot cards to come out so I can complete this setup.

For now those three items give the book a very realistic feel, and I want to thank Rick for ageing mine to what I suggested, I had a friend of mine who is into antiquities try and give me a presale for it.

He said it’s out of his league. I asked him how old and he almost nailed the date in the book he was off by one year.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Alright, I am usually (mostly) not someone who praises any particular product/service to the hills, but I'll really give an exception this time....because I am so, so, so compelled to. Put it this way; I suddenly felt bringing meaning to the phrase Magicians helping Magicians....or rather Mentalists helping Mentalists...Fortune tellers helping Fortune Tellers ....: ) - Steve Brooks will be proud!

I received my Witches Almanac few days ago. I was, totally ... (considering 20 years prop-buying-experience), blown away. While good reviews of Outlaw service and props abound, that is not really it. You're getting something really out of this world in terms of quality and relevance. Its not just a magic prop...Using the term prop would be distateful actually.

Let me simplify; - Witches Almanac is

1) A reading tool. Yes, it genuinely is. You can use it to genuinely deliver a reading. In fact, when I bought it, that was my intention. An aged, rare-looking almanac that would deliver prophecies. So for those of you out there who do readings, this is a ***... MUST. It looks and feels sooooo...authentic (whatever spin you have to it)

2) A mentalism prop. To me, this is secondary although that's the way WA is marketed - its a mentalism prop. And its a *** good mentalism prop. Put simply, its a fortune telling-booktest effect...

Rick...I hope you have a limit to marketing this item....

For those of you who are considering...grab it while its still available!!!!!
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
Rick...I hope you have a limit to marketing this item....

For those of you who are considering...grab it while its still available!!!!!

I have beged Rick for the same thing, Limit it make is speical you don't buy it your out!!!
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
824 Posts

Profile of nique
Just got my WA last night. Just wanted to chip in that it's all that it's hyped up to be... the work that has gone into this is just amazing - method, look, concept. Nice; well worth the wait.

A little note as well... my first shipment got lost in the mail, and when notified Rick IMMEDIATELY sent out another one, tracking number and all with a personal guarantee that the 2nd shipment would get to me.

And it did. I already own Kioku, S2, Panther, Relic, Scorpion and WA. Will definitely be shopping with Outlaw again.
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Cybersloughter
I have been looking at getting the Witches' Almanac from Outlaw and had a couple of quick questions. I saw people say in a couple of the reviews that it is supposed to come with some tarot cards. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? The Outlaw website doesn't really give a list of what you get when you order it from them. Also, could someone link some pictures of what the tarot cards and maybe a page or two of the book look like? I am pretty sure that this book is perfect for my current act and a gig that I have coming up later this year, but I would love to be able to see it a little better. Also, Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a couple of names written in the book, on the last page, or inside a cover, and have them look like they were written in the book by one of the "previous" or first owner? I'm wanting to have it look like the first owner put the names in it of all the future owners, as kind of an extra little "hit" on my spectators when they are looking through the book. I suppose I could try to do it myself, but I am not sure how I could go about accomplishing that. Lastly, I was curious where all the text came from in the book? Did Roth just make it all up, or was some of it taken from various sources from the era? Or possible even from some true occult books? Smile

Thanks in advance for any help I can get,
JLJ
James L. Johnson

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

... a rigmarole with a few bits of paper and lots of spiel. That is Mentalism
- Corinda
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 23:32, Cybersloughter wrote:
I have been looking at getting the Witches' Almanac from Outlaw and had a couple of quick questions. I saw people say in a couple of the reviews that it is supposed to come with some tarot cards. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? The Outlaw website doesn't really give a list of what you get when you order it from them. Also, could someone link some pictures of what the tarot cards and maybe a page or two of the book look like? I am pretty sure that this book is perfect for my current act and a gig that I have coming up later this year, but I would love to be able to see it a little better. Also, Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a couple of names written in the book, on the last page, or inside a cover, and have them look like they were written in the book by one of the "previous" or first owner? I'm wanting to have it look like the first owner put the names in it of all the future owners, as kind of an extra little "hit" on my spectators when they are looking through the book. I suppose I could try to do it myself, but I am not sure how I could go about accomplishing that. Lastly, I was curious where all the text came from in the book? Did Roth just make it all up, or was some of it taken from various sources from the era? Or possible even from some true occult books? Smile

Thanks in advance for any help I can get,
JLJ

The book itself has a pocket in the back cover. The pocket contains 5 hand aged tarot cards.

This book is very ominous and dark looking, but is very white in content. As with all outlaw books, they allow the performer to jazz the presentation.

It is white magick not black but as I said, you make the presentation your own.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Sounds absolutely lovely and with those cards included I believe it will work perfectly with my current routines. In fact, I think I may end up reworking my whole routine if this accomplishes all of the wonderful things that it is supposed to do.

Now the hard part... Convincing the wife...

I'm looking into Sanctum 2 as well, and I saw a brief mention somewhere that there is a potential tie in for the two effects. Would Sanctum work as a good lead in to WA, or would it potentially work better to do WA first. I'm thinking of doing Sanctum and then WA...

Also, thanks for the amazingly quick response. I didn't expect to hear anything for a while on what looks to be an almost dead thread...

JLJ
James L. Johnson

- Voltaire

- Corinda
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
I have several of the Outlaw aged books and this one is my favorite. The cards are awesome. I keep all the books in an old cigar box and treat them with a kind of casual reverence (a bit hard to describe).

The cards in the Almanac look like the Carnie Tarot cards that Rick is producing now (I presume they are similar if not the same). That just begs for a routine. I am ordering these too.

You cannot go wrong with the Almanac. Looks great, easy to use and it slays.

Bruce
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
I would do WA first and then Sanctum 2 which is a longer and potentially more convincing routine as the spec is "seeing". The combo would be very powerful.
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Well, I've done my first performance with S2 already, and actually had a startling good go. The spec amazed himself and the 2 people watching were really baffled and intrigued. One guy didn't want to let go of the card after the routine was done.

I LOVE my WA. I am in the process of "seasoning" it with some scents to give it that truly aged look. My first performance of it will be this weekend. I plan on posting a review of the WA soon actually...

As for the length of time, S2 is very much a long performance, however I have been writing a pretty in depth routine for my WA that includes a bit of cold reading and a bit of therapy that I believe is actually going to take longer then S2. I also have a kicker extra reveal with the WA that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet...

Curse you Rick... My mind screams out, "Buy more, buy more" but my wallet screams, "Oh God it hurts..."

:)
JLJ
James L. Johnson

- Voltaire

- Corinda
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

I just wanted to leave a short message letting everyone know about this.

I performed my WA for my wife yesterday (Poor magician's wives, they should be renamed guinea pigs...). I added my extra kicker revelation and in general just enjoyed performing it. What I hadn't exactly planned on was how it was going to hit her. Shortly after the routine was done, she had broken down crying and had to take a xanax.

After calming her down and taking her out to eat, we had a nice talk about the effect and she summed it up by saying "It was worth every penny and more."

I love this thing,
JLJ
James L. Johnson

- Voltaire

- Corinda
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Witches Almanac (Outlaw Effects) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL