The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why do some put down the cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
In recently weeks I have had many people try and tell me certain tricks including the cups and balls are out dated have no real magical value. well I am sure as many of you find this to be pure rubbish. I am a ameteur performer so I don’t have regular performances yet, but I did the Vernon routine at my house this weekend for my brother and several of his friends and his girlfriend. they had never seen magic before expect TV specials ect ect but never in person. during the ball vanish several comments where made on " where did they go" and "what the ..." all the sequences worked well and the final loads really hit home.

what I am getting at is with something that obviously plays so well, is fun to watch and a total mystery. why do you fellows think that many, some that are well known, regard the "trick" as outdated, and only useful for study
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Joshua, I do not know who mentioned that and whatever they say will not take my strong belief that cups and balls is a real classic and a real corner stone to the foundation of magic. What is important is what I believe in and not what others say about cups and balls.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Because they're too busy trying to push the newest thing, and if everyone knew that you could find powerful magic in the oldest forms then the crap they sell wouldnt sell at all.
don't get me wrong, some folks look at the c&b like a puzzle, but it's good magic nonetheless.
I think in many ways, it falls on the magician. I mean the sponge rabbits are probably one of the cheesiest routines on the planet, but laypeople love'em. So guys do the routine. Me, I hate the sponge bunnies but I recognize why people like them. So, I understand why it's still good magic.
The cups and balls represent so many (8) of the basic principals of magic. Too many Magi forget that only studying on a subject and not actually applying it or attempting it in front of an audience does nothing for them. They will never see the simplicity of the magic in the cups and balls. And this is their loss.

Just the way I see it...
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'll bet you heard this comment from a fellow magician who does not perform the cups and balls. This effect takes a lot of work to perform professionally and smoothly, with good presentation and patter. It also takes tremendous imangination and creativity to produce a routine that is truly your own. Unfortunately, some magicians are not willing to put that kind of work into an effect.

Don't let their comments deter you.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Thanks for the comments. it does not deter me at all. I figured it might make good discussion as its a real einigma to me as why they think that why
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Kent, you said it all. C&B takes a lot of study and practice to perform competently. A lot of magicians simply can't be bothered when there are so many non-sleight-of-hand tricks around. Never mind, their loss is our gain.

Fortasse
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Actually it depends on who made the comments and why. Is there any motive behind those statements made by them? Are they serious cups and balls workers? Or should I say ... can they do cups and balls?

As mentioned by BAH1313, they could also be trying to sell their wares and hype how good these items are, etc, etc.

Some people just like cups and balls while others may just hate it. But it does not justify making a comment like that.

Good thread, Joshua Smile
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

It came up originally with me talking about cylinder and coins. people said it does not work, cause of the wand and the cylinder. both I disagree with. I downplay the imporantance of the cylinder as a simple peaice of paper ( and it is ) but that's another discussion.

anyway several comments were made that both routines cups and cylinder is "antique" magic. can they do them? I don't know. maybe they never took the time and after one day of practice they blew thier performance.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Usually (this is only my assumption) this kind of reactions only indicate their ignorance about these classics. I believe their reactions did not show any genuine interest on the cups and cylinders - which only indicate (again my assumption) their lack of interest or complete ignorance to the subject.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I ALWAYS "put down" the cups and balls...when I'm finished using them. Smile

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 12:38pm
I really think anyone that "puts down" a trick (like C&Bs) doesn't get it... what actually was most likely the case was a LOUSY PERFORMER.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 12:37, Pete Biro wrote:
I ALWAYS "put down" the cups and balls...when I'm finished using them. Smile

This is a good one, Pete Smile
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
One word to sum up the Cups and Balls, "Classic". It has withstood the test of time. Being a classic is far from being 'antique' or 'outdated'.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I put down the cups and balls whenever I decide I need a cup of coffee. Smile

I drink a lot of coffee!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magicorik
View Profile
Loyal user
Italia
203 Posts

Profile of magicorik
Cups and Balls are without any doubt the essential of a magician. So many principles and effects and above all it is very welcomed by any audience.
It can also give you lot of pleasure!!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I remember reading a book by a well known professional magician who said that he didn't like the cups and balls because "once the ball has gone from your pocket to the cup again, the only thing left is the big load."
He wasn't slating the C&B, he was saying that the C&B wasn't his style.

I agree with him that if something is not your style then you can "walk away" but I disagree with his "the only thing left..."
I have performed the C&B and received great reactions from the pre-final load parts of the routine.
"But there isn't a door"
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
During his recent shows earlier this summer Eric DeCamps chose Cups and balls as his closing effect. Based on the performance I saw it was well recieved by the audience.

I think masny perfromers focus on the latest and greatest, neglecting tricks that have been popular for centuries. And learning cups is more effort than many are willing to put forth, even a simple routine takes time to learn and get smooth.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Palmer... do you know a musical intrument guy in Hawaii named Harry Timmins? He thinks he knows you. He's a cousin of my wife.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
When I first got into magic I over looked C&B's for no reason other than knowing nothing about the routines. I unfortunately bypassed Sponge balls as well because I thought it was kid magic!
Now I wish the guy at the magic shop had NOT done his job by selling me all the latest/greatest stuff going. I wish he had directed me to C&B's and Sponges since it has been those 2 have taken my coin work to the next level and taught me about presentation, misdirection, patter etc etc etc!
I am still a raw novice at all this but I think I have learned more and had more fun in the short time as a C&B junkie than anything else!
Let the nay sayers have their way Josh, the fewer that do C&B, the better we can look IMO!
Mick
James Stob
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of James Stob
The only "outdated" thing that I see is that the venues available to us now seem to offer fewer opportunities to perform the cups and balls.

The trick, itself, is very modern, actually.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 16:03, Pete Biro wrote:
Palmer... do you know a musical intrument guy in Hawaii named Harry Timmins? He thinks he knows you. He's a cousin of my wife.

No, I don't. There is a good chance that he knew my dad, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why do some put down the cups and balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL