The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: Amazing Mystical Vanishing Bandanna (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Here's a hint that I've been using for almost 10 years of performing the original version of this...when it says "squeeze the bandana into a small, little ball"... duh...DON'T! Just grab another part of the cloth and squeeze. No muss, no fuss, no mashed banana. It's A-C-T-I-N-G. If you seem to be disgusted with the apparent mess, the audience will be, too. After the "squeezing" move, have that "ewwww", look, and wipe the squeezing hand on your lapel or pants. It's a convincer, and leaves much less of a mess than actually mashing the banana.

Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I squeeze the heck out of it. It's funnier when they say you don't really place the bandana in the silk. I've never had a problem with a stained hank.

John
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I "squeeze the heck out of it, too"...at least that's what the audience sees. They don't know otherwise. Saves a lot of cleaning on the hank when you have 3-4 library shows in a day.

Steve
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
If you are doing 3-4 library shows in one day,
you pobably have more to clean than just your hank! Smile

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Good suggestion, Steve...thanks. But I was under the impression that it wouldn't leak whether the cloth was squeezed or not.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
... That would be real magic.
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
It's important to remember that rip-stop nylon is NOT water proof -

It has water and moisture resistant properties.

If you take something gooey and wet and CRAM it against the fabric, you in theory could overload the water resistant (psi I think) rating of the fabric itself and wetness would come through.

In addition to the fabrics properties, I doubt that the pockets in question have had their seams where the material was sewn "Seam-Sealed". Not having seen one yet though, I can't speak to that fact. But this would in escense put a couple of hundred holes in your pocket the water and moisture could easily get through. It seems like it would be worse as well because while cotton could absorb and distribute some of the moisture making any spots of leakage less noticeable, nylon doesn't have the absorbing property, so it would let most all of the liquid right through any hole or permeation in the pocket onto the outer cloth.

Oh the stuff I have learned and experimented in the close to 1,000 times I have done this thing in the last couple years!!!

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Keith,

You are absolutely right. It is water and moisture resistant. They are assembled by "close-stitched" thread so that it will not leak. Like you said, if you squeeeze the pocket extremely hard and force the banana out, it will leak. If you simply either give it a little squeeze or squeeze below the banana (as some have suggested in other threads as well) you will not have any leakage problems.

As for the color of the insert, yes, it is white. It is inset a little more than an inch, so you will not flash. We looked for blue parachute material, and both Sandra and I were not able to find any. I've performed this routine hundreds of times with this hank, and have never had anyone spot anything. The lining is not flush, it is inset so nobody will see it.

I look forward to helping out any way I can. Please let me know what you think. What does everyone else think about the 4 additional tracks included with this routine (2 two bill-in-lemon tracks and the two free audio tracks). Just curious as to what you all think.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I ordered it from hocus yesterday, thanks to all for helping me make a decison
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I love the newer tracks and have already used the two liners (the Emergency Magic System and the Sticky track) in shows!

Steve
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Great. I'm glad to see some people are getting some use out of it. Just curious as to whether anyone had tried the Bill To Impossible Location script in actual performance? I use that one more than the Bandana and it kills. Wonderin if anyone had any good storeis or has even used it.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
You mentioned that the liner is inset about an inch? NOT ON MINE! It's almost flush with the top edge of the bag!

Steve
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Kobi,
In an earlier post you describe the inner pocket as "waterproof and leakproof", not water-resistent. And mine, like Steve's is right at the top edge of the hank. I'm not looking for or asking for a refund, because I have gotten some ideas with the script and pocket that I hadn't thought of, so I can edit the script and re-work the hank,....I'm just letting people know what I've encountered.
Patrick
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Patrick,

The mahnufacturer where Sandra and I purchased the hanks from claim that the pockets are "waterproof and leakproof." I have filled the pocket up with water at my house, and it held the water in there for a bit, but then started leaking. I would lend more toward the "leak-proof" part. After al, who would want to fill the pocket up with water anyhow??

Since this is our first inital 500 run of these (almost sold out already) I am definitely looking for what you like and what you do not like. I will try to improve upon this the best that I can. If I make any drastic impromevements, I will offer my current customers a VERY GREAT discoun so they do not feel like they are buying tons of "add-ons" I appreciate mycustomers and would never do that.

Although a few of you have said your pocket leaks, I am unsure as to why. I have spotchcked a few of them as they come inand they seem to work well. If you squueze the banana extremely hard, you may force one of the threads to break, there fore having what I like to refer to as 'banana juice' leak out (Alright, get your heads out of the gutter!!)

I think they are made well. Steve, if your liner is sitting too high, try to move the pocket to the lower part of the velcro. This velcro is very good and it will still hold the weight of the banana. If it still does not work, PM me and I will send you out a new one. Sound okay?

If you can see any improvements, please let me know. I would definitely like to know what works well. I am still looking for some input on the Bill To Impossible Location tracks I have included in this routine, as well as the 2 FREE (not factored into the price of this effect) Magic Enhancer tracks. Has anyone used these? Let me know what you think.

I included the Bill To Impossible Location tracks for two specific reasons. I wanted the performer to have something a little different if they were asked to do a repeat performance and did not want to do the same routine since everyone had already seen it. I also wanted to include a similar walkthrough version for performers to use when entertaining a slightly older audience.

I have other surprises coming soon. I will be sure to let everyone know.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
www.MagicEnhancer.com
MJP
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of MJP
I was disappointed with customer service, but the the trick is great! The new audio is excellent. Cheers!
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2007-10-29 02:03, patrick flanagan wrote:
I guess I'll be the first to say, I'm not 100% happy with the new version. I feel the routine is now way too long, for my tastes. While the new version does have some very good moments, especially a motivated ending, which I like alot, I think some of the bits play way too long, including the lead in music. Also, while some of the updates are entertaining and funny, I think at some other parts the narrator is just...rude and annoying. As far as the construction of the devil hank, the idea is great but the construction, again, less than pleased. The removeable pocket, on mine, is white while the hank is blue. So, while folding the hank to create the pocket and while squishing the banana, you have to be careful not to flash the white pocket. If the white pocket is flashed, this causes a discrepancy. I used it 3 times this weekend and the banana "juices" bled through to the outer part of the hank which I thought wouldn't happen with the material of the inner pocket...but it does. The outer hank is now discolored and will have to be replaced.
As an aside, a yellow silk is supposed to be included, which I didn't receive. This, however, was not really a big deal, as I have more than enough yellow silks laying around.
I will say that I have gotten some good ideas on the script and the construction of the inner pocket that I didn't or wouldn't have thought of myself. I can/will use these ideas to tailor the routine to my liking, so that was a benefit. But on the whole, not happy.
This is the first time I've commented in this section.
Patrick

I feel the same. I have performed the old version for years and I have tested the new one out recently in shows. The flow is different and seems to drag in places and yes the intro music is too long. I'm just speaking from professional experience and it doesn't seem to go over as well as the old one. The hank is a little smaller than the previous version but that's no big deal. I like the removable pocket but I find I still have to clean the hank not because I have squeezed it(I don't), but because the banana just plain leaks out of the pocket. I would have used a water proof, leak proof material. I later received the yellow silk but replaced it with an actual yellow bandana which makes more sense in the script. I would have retained the two beads at the top of the hank instead of just one. Again the flow of the routine seems to drag a bit. I'm sure there will be improvements made in the future and I do like their other products. I have the cd with the customized intro and others on it. I think the Amazing Mystical Banana may have been released before it was "road tested".
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Just got this and agree with those who have reservations about the length of the intro music etc. As a matter of fact, I think the entire introduction should be cut (the first minute at least). The original version seems more believable. There is no reason for the narrator to comment on the movements of the performer. It is ridiculous and no magic instruction tape would do that. Let's at least attempt to make it seem like the instructions are real. The commentary assumes that the magician is a moron and isn't doing anything correctly. How on earth can a CD see what you are doing to tell you you are doing it wrong? Why would a CD ask the magicians a question and wait for an answer?
The entertaining part of the effect is that the magician mistakenly hears the word bandanna and assumes that it is "banana". That's all that is really needed along with some clever side jokes (the palming bit etc.). It always seems odd to me when someone takes a banana out of the box that came with the "props". It defeats the whole idea of the effect as, I believe this script does. I know for a fact that I will never use it in a show.
The 32 page text that comes with the effect looks to be much more valuable and although I have only skimmed through it, appears to have lots of sound advice.
The devil's hank seems well made although I agree that the white pocket on blue hank may require care in handling.
The bonus material seems more usable although I have not really listened with intensity to fully evaluate if I will use it. All that I know is I was very disappointed with the narration and will now look for one that is a bit more believable.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Now that there are several performances on my set, I'll have to agree with the comments made.

I never got the yellow silk (when I contacted them, they gave me the option of getting it or a gift certificate for a future purchase...I've never gotten that, either!) with mine.

Steve
MJP
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of MJP
Same happened with me... But I insisted on getting the silk; it was sent.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

If anyone hasn't received the yellow bandana, please let me know and one will be sent out right away. I need to know your name, address, and where you purchased it from. Thank you.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
www.MagicEnhancer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: Amazing Mystical Vanishing Bandanna (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL