We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Losander table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
608 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Im finally thinking of buying A losander table. If I was a stage guy which I'm not, I would go for the dearest table ...My question is... If I buy the basic table with box ($999) Would I get the exact same effect as with the top of the range tables?
Papa David
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Papa David
Yes Magicmike!
You will get the same effect and you will so enjoy performing it.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Be certain to get the box, it provides a marvelous moment.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I have the basic table with the box and it gets great reactions every show I use it in. One of my favorite magic effects that I own and the one trick that my wife cannot figure out and doesn't want to - it's just too amazing!

The basic one is more than fine for any performance!
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I want one...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I was working with a magish the other day, who was using one. It's a beautiful piece, and handles very effectively. Even in a close-up situation, it was quite convincing. If it were my genre, I'd get one in a minute.

I understand that there are slight differences in design. The version I saw, has an oval spray-painted gold section on the main post. I think it took away from the beauty of the wood, looked like a cheesy add-on.

One of the goals of a floater, should be to make the whole thing look like a solid piece. If it has little sections, rather than longer lines, it doesn't look like a regular piece of furniture. I think this is a detractor.

I still loved the prop.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I have to agree with Harley and the others on this one. Having seen Losander perform this effect live (just after he added the box on the table, mind you), you really get a feel of how wonderful it truly can be.

One thing I haven't seen really developed are the story concepts with it. Sometimes, I've seen a good story tossed aside once the table started floating and that was the end of a fantabulous possibilty.

I hope you do something great with it.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
So far, I've seen two presentations. I'm guessing that they were learned from tape or dvd, which would explain the high degree of similarity. Each had two parts, and were done in the same order, with no story-line.

The first part is performer and table. The second adds an audience member.

I don't understand why it gets done twice. If the performer does it alone, it's just proving that (s)he can. If the concern is that the volunteer would be in the way of the demonstration, then it's an issue of prop-management (the volunteer being essentially a prop, in this sense).

It could be played for a spiritualist approach, "Ooh, lookit what the spooks can do". Or it could have a simple development, as in..."They said these things happened, I don't believe it". For the latter, the box becomes the closer, the final proof that the skeptical attitude was wrong.

And of course, there can be full-blown stories. So many possibilities.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I always take the spiritualist approach with it. I also put all the heat on the empty box while it is away from the table.

I have used various tales to empower the box, from being a family heirloom with a tragic story to having once been owned by Anna Fay.

I direct attention to the box when I place it upon the table. I want the spectators to be thinking ahead and believe that the something might appear in the box or even perhaps the tiny box lid might open on it's own. I don't want anyone considering the table until it floats. I want the focus on the box not the table.

As for the box moment itself. The box will now indeed contain something relevant to the story and is given to the spectator holding the cloth with you.

I have used as apports the name of the deceased on a slip of paper, candy (I have a ghost story for little ones) and withered flowers.

The table needs be story driven for me.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I like the idea, that the table floats of its own accord, and you have to keep up with it, trying to control the forces at work. And the box is such a sweet final touch.

It's interesting...The key concept for the need to control, is fear. So, something scares us, and we try to alleviate the fear, by being in control (which is why I think that anybody who wants power, shouldn't get it).

I think that most magical performances are lame, because it's about being in control, without any of the motivating factors. How many feather flowers can there be, in the world? Fluff, where there could be guts.

Will you all please rise, and join in singing "Rule Botania!".

www.bladewalker.com
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Does anyone use "out to lunch" as spirit writing with paper and pencil in the box? A spirit floats a table then leaves a short message or vice versa. Would work either way and as eddie stated the focus is on the box.
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
608 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Thanks guys for the above ...Any views on the poltergeist table?
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
There is no comparison. I got the Poltergeist table first because it could shake and float. However, you cannot float it surrounded or do many of the moves that you can on the losander table. With the Losander table, you can float it directly over someone's head and there is nothing for them to see except for the bottom of the table. I sold my Poltergiest within a week and got the Losander one - don't make the same mistake I did! Go with the best the first time!

Chad

PS. If you have any other specific questions about the poltergiest table, pm me.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I see the Poltergeist Table and the Losander Table as “apples and oranges” myself.

For a pure magic-show I’d recommend the Losander hands-down for the reasons given above, but in a Séance or Haunted setting, there is a lot of power in the Poltergeist.

In a Séance or Haunted show you want something more subtle and the limitations of the Poltergeist become assets, as “less is more”. I get quite a lot of use out of mine.

The Losander tables are great works of art, made with extreme love and care, and for magical use are absolutely the way to go. Losander creates elegant and usable magic.

Neither table “work themselves” and both take a great amount of work and investment to make effective, so don’t purchase a floating table without giving a great deal of thought to the commitment involved both in cost and in time and effort.

I have always strongly felt, and even mentioned this to Losander,
that the Floating Tables would greatly benefit,
and perhaps even double in impact,
if he made available a “solid” practical “matching” table.

This way there would be a pair of identical tables on the platform or stage,
and the “floating” one would not stand out like a sore-thumb,
as it may if it is the only one among other styles of tables.

The “practical” table could hold a good deal of weight and numerous props,
and would by inference make the other table seem the same.

It would also seem to the audience that either table could be chosen to levitate.
I would gladly pay “double” for this convincer and source of misdirection.

I think the only aspect that keep the Losander tables from being *perfect* magic,
even in his hands, are that they sit on stage as one-of-a-kind,
and I believe the impact of the pair would blow lay spectators away.

It’s the seemingly little details that I feel can elevate Magic to Miracles!

My two-cents,
Walt
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
608 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Received my Table today WOO-HOO!
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
372 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Dirk was in Hartford for the ICBM. Absolutely the best table much less the other effects of levitation. I just hope people don't go hog wild and mess up. It really does take practice even though he makes things look so easy.

His "dancing hank" is an example much less the soap bubbles.

Lary/TEB3 and Traveler
Nathan Coe Marsh
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
14 Posts

Profile of Nathan Coe Marsh
Harley,

The reason for the first phase is not prop management/control (I think the second phase is clear evidence of this). The reason is solid, dramatic construction: build.

One of the lessons of masterful construction is that you use restraint in the opening phases, you don't show your full hand. If you go with the strongest possible phase right at the outset, it loses a huge amount of its power.

Imagine an ambitious card routine that only consisted of the final phase...a cups and balls routine where the performer showed the cups empty and they were immediately filled with fruit. These would be one note pieces that don't go anywhere...the idea is to put the audience in tension and then release that tension, to build momentum...

Thus, we see the performer alone onstage. The table floats. It is a pretty and mysterious thing...but it is a distant thing...there must be some kind of wire -- like in peter pan...then, wait, now he's bringing someone onstage...the guy is holding it himself...he's looking under it...he's feeling it...

They've seen something that's impossible...then, suddenly, the level of impossibility is ratcheted up, and it's more deeply impossible than they originally believed...

You don't get that build...that moment of "the rabbit hole goes even deeper!"...without a first phase performed under less stringent conditions...that's why the first phase is (and ought to be!) there.

N
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Losander table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL