The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Star - which trick is taking you forever? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
After many years on and off of trying to learn the 5 coin Downs Star, I finally (just the once!!) managed to do it last night. WOOHOO! It was far from perfect and will still need considerable work even to get near performance level. Just wondered what tricks you guys have been persevering with for years? Did they ever come off, or are they still...works in progress?

Good excuse to share my joy with everyone. Smile
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi Chris,

Congratulations, it's a great feeling to finally master something, eh!

The coin trick that I'm still trying to get the hang of is keeping money in my bank account.

With a wife and two children, I don't think this is a effect I'll ever really master.

Still, the rewards are more than enough compensation.

:cheers:

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I have been working on Bertini's 4 coin production for a long time, and I have a long time to go, Chris. I have done it, but not with any regularity. What is so painful is that he makes it look so easy.....

Good luck to you on that one, Kyf. It's a noble goal to reach. I wish you the best success at reaching that goal.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
The Coin Star is darn near impossible for me. I keep blaming my short first and fourth fingers, but the coins just flop over as I roll them out. The other one that is so elusive to me is the coin roll. Rarely can I get it to go around more than once or twice.
The real magic is family!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
Chris, I hope you know that for the Coin Star, Downs used a slightly hollowed coin with wax inside to stick on the thumb.
As for me, I'm trying the muscle pass, but it pushes on the vein in my thumb base (gross!), so I'm trying to find an alternate position for it.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Coin roll.

Hopefully, I can shave 15 to 20 seconds off with practice.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
Moving stuff from my right hand to my left, such as the above mentioned 4 coin fan production (one at a time).

Some things were easier learned first with my non-dominant left hand. The coin roll was one of them.

My one handed version of a coin color change, based on Howard Schwarzman's two hand toss...(using Tenkai)...took years and is still not as close to 100% as I would like it to be.

I met him while in Boston '05. It is great putting live faces with names I have read in my coin youth.

Harris
"too old to know it all"
Deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I purchased Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook" 35 years ago. Since I was new to magic, I was under the assumption that the moves, tricks, and sleights in the coin section were what all magicians were doing. So I dove in, learning the Coin Star, Downs' Eureka Pass, Edge Palm transfers, etc. Didn't find out until I began meeting other magicians that this was the "hard" stuff.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Some of the coin moves that I still struggle with are:

*One Handed Edge Grip Change. I've been practicing this ever since I had Coins On Edge by Kainoa, and I still drop the coins at times.

*Dropping multiple coins from classic palm onto a close-up mat with equal spacing in a straight line. Ever since I saw Jay Sankey and David Stone do this, I practiced a lot in doing this. Still having a hard time.

*Heel Clip Steal with multiple coins (not soft coins). Gary Kurtz makes it look so easy. I need to find the right timing, like he does it.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 11:36, todsky wrote:
Chris, I hope you know that for the Coin Star, Downs used a slightly hollowed coin with wax inside to stick on the thumb.......

You don't need to use a sightly hollowed coin. I do a six coin Downs Star with silver dollars in both hands. It's amazing what you can do when you have no other hobbies.

I might post up the five coin if you all want to see it.

Or, just look at my DVD Xtreme Koin Magic. I teach how on there.
Joe Jesse
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
For the Coin Star, I discovered how to from reading and meeting Bobby Bernard. He showed me the move with the first finger and thumb to get the coins to stick (naturally) to your fingers as you spread them....still difficult to do though, in my opinion. I'll keep practicing.

Intrigued about the 6 Coin Star...what is that?

Fingers - What is Bertini's 4 coin production, and where can it be found?

Sounds like a few gems coming out here.

For the coin roll, I really like using the UK £2 coin. In fact, it's really good for quite a number of things...slightly thicker than the US half dollar and a similar diameter, milled edges for good grip...perhaps the inventor was a coin magician!

Todski - Thanks, I did know about the wax. Why risk it when you don't have to? Smile
By the way, with the muscle pass, I have it slightly further towards the wrist than classic palm, and it helps if instead of being flat on the palm, you have a 45 degree angle on the coin as it sits gripped in your hand [lower end gripped by the palm in line with the little finger (Pinky) and the higher side against the fleshy part of the thumb]. That, for me, is where the coin sits just prior to exerting the pressure to make it jump. Obviously you can show it flat on your palm, exert pressure on he coin to bring it to the 45 degree angle, and then pop it up into the waiting hand. Hope that makes sense/helps...best of luck with your endeavour.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Bertini's 4 coin production can be found on his DVD, Revolutionary Coin Technique. He's is doing some amazing stuff on there.
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
Santos, which Edge to Edge change are you having trouble with? Townsend's version or Kainoa's version? I'm doing good with JT's version, but the Kainoa version gives me cramps.

I'm struggling with Edge Grip Change (Kainoa) and left hand, 1 handed Steeplechase.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Roll Down....managed to do it a few times. I seem to be stuck on getting three in place and almost getting the forth..... I'm not even going to think about a circle of five and dropping a sixth to the center.
Wes
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
Quote:
On 2007-10-12 08:13, Chris "linkster" Watson wrote:
For the Coin Star, I discovered how to from reading and meeting Bobby Bernard. He showed me the move with the first finger and thumb to get the coins to stick (naturally) to your fingers as you spread them....still difficult to do though, in my opinion. I'll keep practicing.

Intrigued about the 6 Coin Star...what is that?..............

Here is a little video of me doing a Six Coin Downs Star. Let me know what you think.

6 Coin Downs Star - Quick Time

6 Coin Downs Star - Windows Media
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8658 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey Joe, good to hear from you hear man...Smile Good stuff as usual my friend. Smile

-La Famiglia
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
Man, I hate you Joe. I can never do that. haha
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
284 Posts

Profile of Griff
Great cops Joe! I can't do the Down's Star, but I can play Piano Man... The Down's Star is more difficult. Nice!
Griff
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
VERY nice Joe!
Mick
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Quote:
On 2007-10-12 10:30, Gary Yin wrote:
Santos, which Edge to Edge change are you having trouble with? Townsend's version or Kainoa's version? I'm doing good with JT's version, but the Kainoa version gives me cramps.

I'm struggling with Edge Grip Change (Kainoa) and left hand, 1 handed Steeplechase.

Both versions. I can do Jonathan's Edge Grip Change. What I'm having problems with is consistency and smoothness,, Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Star - which trick is taking you forever? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL