The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Dirt eradicator by Fairchild Entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Now that Chance Wolf has decided not to make a Shoe Burner "Wiz-Kote", but a cell phone burner (which is a briliant idea), it seems that there are three available versions of the Shoe Burner. first, the "O.O.P.S." machine from Jim Gerrish, for $3 you can't go wrong. It costs little more to make the machine out of cardboard and duct tape. Excellent - that appeals to the Scotsman in me! But you can get The Chalet Magic "original" Wiz-Kote for around $500. Nice, but to my eyes a little dated, and it really seems to work best if you have an assistant.
Or there is the Fairchild Entertainment version - the "Dirt Eradicator". One man operation, slick props, and some great gags with the routine. I spoke to Joe Eddy who makes the Dirt Eradicators, and he's a really genuine guy. His wife Betty is lovely too. There are HEAPS of gags with this routine! Admittedly it's expensive - around $2000 if you get the new version with "fire free" smoke + shipping. But I've long felt that taking a kid's shoe and destroying it on stage is about the funniest thing you can get away with in a kid show. This routine has it all, so I've asked Joe to send me one. When I get it, I'll post a critical review for all those of you who have been longing to destroy a stinky shoe!
Potty Smile
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Potty, I too am intrigued by the burnt shoe routine. I have seriously persued the trick since 6 years ago when I first saw it.
It really kills with a family audience and I just enjoy doing it.

I will admit that I'm a bit disappointed that the newer version was turned into a cell phone. However, I do believe I can get some comedy out of it too. I never heard of this version by Fairchild but do believe I might start studying it. Is there any video's available of this being performed?

Look forward to hearing from others who may already have the Dirt Eradicator as well!

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I took a look at this item on Farichild Entertainment's website. It is certainly a nice looking and apparently well made prop. But the size of the table and the other necessary props that come with it, this will be a very bulky and heavy item to carry to performances which makes the Cellulator a much better prospect. (The site does not state if this large table breask down for storate/tranport). I think Chance Wolf decided not to do the shoe burnt effect to avoid this very problem of bulkiness and weight. If I wanted to do the burnt shoe effect, I would just use the Wiz-Kote that I have. If, however, you can manage to transport the Dirt Eradicator to and from your performacne venues without much difficulty by yourself or have a "team" to help, then it seems to be a very nice routine to do.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 16:38, Potty the Pirate wrote:
first, the "O.O.P.S." machine from Jim Gerrish, for $3 you can't go wrong. It costs little more to make the machine out of cardboard and duct tape.

Oops! That should be $5.00, Potty! And hardboard, not cardboard. It cost Jim $20 total to make the one in the photos. But thanks for remembering his name!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 20:19, magicinsight wrote:
The site does not state if this large table breask down for storate/tranport)

To answer your question, YES the table does break down for storage or transport.

It breaks down into 4 parts.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Well, at first I was a little disappointed that Chance with a cell phone over a shoe too. Then again, it does offer a fresh new approach. After I started thinking about a routine, I might like it better.

The only drawback for me is that it seems like it should be done with adults, not kids. In fact, I don't think I will even try to use it with a kid volunteer. I haven't heard this discussed, but I feel it could be upsetting to a kid to see a cell phone (theirs or maybe worse, their parents) destroyed. Cell phones are expensive, and an individual usually has one. Shoes are much cheaper and most have a closet full.

I'm not knocking the Cellulator. In fact I am going to get it, but I am concerned about using it with kids. Teens and adults, fine. Younger kids, not for me. Of course most younger kids won't have a cell phone, but it would have been nice if you could borrow the parents phone but the kid as the volunteer. However, I am pretty sure I wouldn't do it. The Cellulator looks pretty convincing, and I think a kid would think they were in major trouble if they saw their parents phone come out burnt to a crisp and dripping with goo.

I am always try to use adult volunteers in my kidshows anyway, so it's not really a problem for me. And, that I am even concerned about it is a testiment to how powerful I think the Cellulator can be. For me it will be easy to work around, and I still may let the kid be involved in the routine, as long as the destruction of the phone will be blamed on me it will be the fault of the parent for allowing me to do it! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Frank,

You noted the Dirt Eradicator breaks down into 4 parts; how is the overall portability and assembly? It is my understanding this routine is easier for one-man peformances as they've simplified the shoe recovery at the end. I thought I saw a video online some time ago but have not seen it since.

I agree with the earlier comment about Joe Eddie being a terrific guy to work with.

Dan.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Regan, I agree, I think the Cellphone burner isn't ideal for younger kids, whereas the shoe burner will appeal to all ages. It seems to me that most shoes these days cost a lot more than a cellphone though. But that's beside the point....and really, the kid is likely to get upset if he sees his shoe getting burned too! It will all depend on how you play it.
I've also put an order in for the Cellulator, as this routine will be brilliant for older kids, especially the 7-10 year age group.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
....... There's just something funny about a kid on stage with one shoe.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Yeah, that "one-shoe" kid is hilarious, except for the one time you pick a kid who cries about it. It's happened. One of those kids who just HAD to be an assistant, almost forcing his way on stage...shoe burns...he cries. Not a small kid, either.

Anyway, I'd have to disagree with ya on that line about the cellphone disaster not working with kids. Wrongo! Every kid has a cellphone where I live...right down to 5 and 6 year olds. Their phones seldom leave their hands, it's what they live for...constantly ringing and talking...this will be funnier than a shoe..

Steve
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Steve, Right with you buddy!
I once had a kid cry and it made me feel like Cr*p!

After that experience I found it helpful to pick someone before the show. I will explain that its a trick with their shoe and that no matter what happens they will get it back at the end of the trick just like it was.
That seemed to solve the problem for me and those who were hesitant, I'd skip.

Brad

Click here to view attached image.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish and his Wiz Kids cue the kid on to what's happening as they remove his shoe or sneaker onstage. Your back is to the audience and you just tell him, conspirator-style, "We're going to play a trick on the audience, OK? Just play along and don't worry about your shoe." The next opportunity comes as the magician/Wiz Kid has the kid inspect the O.O.P.S. Machine. As they move around the table inspecting it like it's a used car, the magician/Wiz Kid has his back to the audience for a second and says to the kid: "I'll see that it's safe. If you get scared, look at me and I'll wink at you so you know it's OK." Now you can do stuff like handing the kid a bandana and telling him to pretend to cry over his shoe. Then you can have him pretend to blow his nose loudly into the bandana before he gives it back. Kids love playing along like this.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

It's here! So my first impressions...
The props are expertly made, beautiful craftsmanship. Real eye-candy which will get kids excited as soon as they see the props on your set. The boxes are all made very solidly out of wood. Made to last a lifetime and more! The table is a great piece of apparatus, and could be used to achieve other effects. The nest of boxes is perfect, and the workings are as simple as can be.
Also supplied is a burnt shoe - very funny, it really is a burnt shoe!
Slightly disappointed that I didn't seem to receive an electirc match or igniter, unless I didn't check the packages properly. Also has a puff generator, so it's quite possible to have a big flash AND a puff of smoke...
The bubble blower is easy to operate, the unit has a great set of cogs and a clacker; altogether, a nice set of effects to build the routine with lots of comedy.
It's true that this is a large prop. The table is quite large and heavy, though it does break down if you want. There are 8 bolts to fix, so with an electric screwdriver, it should take no more than 2 minutes. When disassembled, the table takes up relatively little space. There are also the two large boxes to think about.
Clearly made for stage presentation, the effect is unsuitable for a parlour presentation without some modifications. In fact, even on stage, this unit kinda requires a black backdrop to be most effective. I don't like the angles, and will be adding a feature so that the effect can be performed surrounded. This is a fairly easy thing to accomplish, and I don't believe it will diminish the effect at all.
Overall, I'm very happy with this. I'll be using it in all my Christmas shows this year. The photos on the website of course, don't do this justice. it looks very shiny and smart, a bit wacky (though not as Wacky as it could be Smile).
In a couple of months, I'll post to let you know how it plays, but I can already assure you that this one is going to be a winner.
If you wanted to, you could put anything else inside the Dirt Eradicator, and fry that. You're able to put something into the yellow box, "wash" it, "burn" it, and later remove it from the inner box in the nest of boxes.
First class, now I just want to see the reactions......
Doug
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Doug,

Thank you very much for your detailed impressions. Am I correct in my understanding that this works easily in a one-man performance?

Dan.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Sure will! In fact it's billed as "The Ultimate, Single Performer Shoe Burning Routine".
Well, most of my minor worries have abated. This is fantastic! My first real problem was angles. The unit is designed to be used on stage, and has something like a 140 degree concealment of the "works". With a black backdrop this would be at least 180 degrees. But for me, performing in schools, with kids seated on the floor, this wasn't sufficient. I thought of many solutions, including my favourite which was to be the box the Eradicator was delivered in. When opened,the box would fall open, and do the business. But this was a complicated task for many reasons, and in the end I decided the extra box was just too much.
Joe already takes care of the angles, but as I said, only about 140 degrees. So it would be easy to extend his solution to cover much larger angles. This is what I thought I was going to do.....until I got to thinking a bit more laterally, and realised that all I have to do is display some "shoe shine" accessories, such as shoe polish, brushes, etc, and THEY will cover the naughty stuff!
This method is perfect for me, because it's the easiest, cheapest solution. It builds the plot, can be used more or less extensively to cover all angles up to full 360 degrees.
Next, how to make a pirate plot out of a shoe shine boy? Aaaaaar!
:)
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Cool stuff! Thank you. Joe Eddie does great work.

Dan.
sspanks
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta GA
241 Posts

Profile of sspanks
What happened to this???

http://www.wolfsmagic.com/Wacky%20Wiz-Kote.htm

I think it is ashame that he didn't produce this item.
-stephen
NeverGrowUpMagic

http://www.NeverGrowUpMagic.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Sspanks,

Just get your self away from that disease-carrying monkey and buy a Cellulator! That link you had was actually just a modified Wiz Kote. I'm sure that IF Chance had the time and IF you had an old Wiz Kote lying around (which I do), he'd be glad to modify it for ya!

Steve
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

I think chance has decided not to make a shoe burner after all. It's true, if he did, he'd probably be treading on someone's toes (chuckle). The Wiz-Kote, Dirt Eradicator, and OOPS machine have the shoe burning effect covered. One of my concerns was that Chance would make a shoe burner, but as he was planning to keep it quite low budget, it's perfectly possible that it wouldn't have played as well as (say) Dirt Eradicator. This is my impression at least.
I'll be receiving a Cellulator soon, and for what it's worth, I'll post a comparative review. But really they're two different effects. And Dirt Eradicator is really a big piece of kit, would play on the biggest stage; as I've mentioned above, for it to work in a more intimate setting, some additional thought/props/workings are required. Whereas the Cellulator looks small and cute and ideal for parlour, or even close-up. I don't know if it would play a large audience?
Anyhoo, I'm all excited 'coz I wrote most of the script for my shoe burning routine. It's going to be one of my most piratical, funny, scary, Caribbean effects! It should play for ANY audience apart from nursery kids. And will play at least ten minutes, I think.
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Hey Doug.

You had a few months with the Eradicator and was wondering if you could update us on its performing values you have found. Has it turned into a very useful prop for you?
I'm still interested in getting one of these, when I get the funds together.

Brad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Dirt eradicator by Fairchild Entertainment (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL