The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How much is too much? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
BDC,

For someone who has as many credits as you (wrote a theatrical business book, produce theater shows, self proclaimed expert in the theater world, etc.) you don't seem to know much about fairly obvious and simple questions.

Not really looking for a response here, just wanted to throw that out there.

Josh London
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2007-10-12 15:03, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
What if your continual exposure in the press or on TV strains relationships with others who are not getting the same attention?

That's their problem. They should be happy for you.

Quote:
Josh London wrote:
For someone who has as many credits as you (wrote a theatrical business book, produce theater shows, self proclaimed expert in the theater world, etc.) you don't seem to know much about fairly obvious and simple questions.

Not really looking for a response here, just wanted to throw that out there.

BDC knows his stuff, and does well with it. The question he poses is more of a personal nature, as his last several on the Café have been. He's coming here looking for advice from friends on balancing personal relationships with business and doesn't deserve this type of response. I know you weren't "looking for a response here", but you deserved one.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Obviously he doesn't know his "stuff" since he can't handle friends and a "career" as an entertainer.

Someone who has his stuff together has no problem with friends and family getting jealous.

The biggest problem I've had with an entertainment career is travelling and not being able to see my family and girlfriend, but that has been mostly a personal thing.

If you have friends that are jealous of success then you might want to rethink your relationships.

Josh London
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Danny wrote "Some of the busiest guys I know have NEVER been in the press once"

Yes, anyone can be busy, but at what level of success?
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Josh,

I challenge you to take over a year off from performing and then enter a whole new market, a market that you have never approached. I bet you'd have questions too. If you actuially read the questions I pose (you can read right?) you would have read that in the theater market - where I have focused for over 15 years, I was enormously successful. I never once sent any press materials to any corporate planners or individual businesses. I've never once advertised individual private shows. My model was and has been completely different, and If someone here wanted to know how to be successful with a theater tour, I am the expert. Period.

When I retired last year, I really did not think I would be performing again. But soon I will be able to do so soon, but my circumstances require that I look at new markets - markets that I am unfamiliar with. It takes a real man to admit his challenges and weaknesses. Only a phony like you pretends to know it all and be invulnerable.

The other questions I have posed are out of personal curiosity, not because I can't handle them. If you could actually interpret what you read, then you would have recognized that the questions were intended as conversation starters.

Go take a long walk off a short peir, charley.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Curtis: Re
Yes, anyone can be busy, but at what level of success?

Well in this game, success appears to start about at being able to keep a roof over your head, food on your table, and not having to use the wifes credit and insurance because you HAVE to. lol.

That's actually a pretty silly statement, Curtis. I know a few guys with little to no press coverage making six figure incomes in our little world. It's not always about the papers my friend... It's about the checks...

BDC - Re: "Take a walk..." You tell 'em buddy.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Keith,

I think you missed understood my question. I meant what level of success does one want to achieve...? Yes, a roof over your head is surviving, now one may want more than just a roof maybe a view, swimming pool, etc.

Also, it depends on the persons goals of what they want fame and fortune or just fortune. By ones personal choice it will reflect the path they will take if it should be media and marketing or just marketing for shows.... Which can pan out well either way

I am going for more of the media and marketing path and it has panned out wll so far for me.... I know this lady who is an excellent entertainer and she performs about 5- 8 shows a week working her tail off but she underprices herself and chooses to perform that many shows verses going after a higher market because she does not want to take the risk of not doing 20 shows a month.... That is why stated: Yes, anyone can be busy, but at what level of success?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Curtis anyone can get newspaper stories. BDC, that is not directed at you for any reason. You know I respect and try to help what it is you do.

As for Curtis, to make six figures with NO press coverage is falling off a log. Press coverage does not translate to money every time. The only paper that means anything is the bank statement.

All that is needed is an act good enough to be busy. I guess I misunderstood you as well Curtis.

Funny I know guys making mid six figure incomes and it is not enough for them. I know guys making less than 30 a year and could not be happier. Personally I would rather be the second guy.

I think this is the point Curtis was trying to make. At least I hope it was.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Danny yes that is the point I wanted to make...

Also, Danny stated : "Press coverage does not translate to money every time. "

I agree, If you go back and reread what I wrote in the beggening of this topic I said: " The trick is to take the PR and turn it into revenue... "

One can use the press coverage to build thier image and help influrance thier client to choose them over some other act.... Make yourself a star or an upcoming star and they would desire you... But there are other ways to sell your act as well...

The key is repeat bookings or referals..... These are usually your largest priced shows... Smile Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Curtis I suspected that was what you were getting at, and before it got out of hand wanted to clarify if it was. Glad to hear it was right, we have enough petty squabbles going on around the Café' without another LOL!

I agree about coverage. Without the income to translate it to, if you ask me it does nothing but feed the ego. Which is fine, but tough to survive off of.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
BDC,

I guess I do have trouble reading since some other guys here have misunderstood your question/problem. Maybe too much training as a paramedic and firefighter and now pre-med.

Josh London

P.S. I have to disagree with you about you being the expert in theater shows. Why are you the expert? Because you wrote an ebook that sold a few dozen copies (if that)?

There are a ton of other people here that have done more theter work than you've done in your whole life.

And if you were so so good at it you wouldn't be pushing 35-40 years old asking, "How do I book corporate shows. I hit a stroke of bad luck." Instead you should be thinking about where to invest all the money you supposedly made as a highly sought-after theater performer.

Just my 2 cents.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Josh,

I've defended you in the past, and offered you encouragement. I will not do so again, since you are obviously a jealous, hateful, spiteful person. Through this process I have seen many people show their face.

As for my theater experience, 20+ years averaging over 100k a year, in my own productions, directing and producing others, and in traditional book shows. I did not say I am THE expert, I said I am AN expert. Big difference.

AND IF YOU CAN READ, you would have read that all of this was a part of my own searching for direction as I prepare to re-enter performing after rehabbing from a near career ending injury. I hope you never face such a dilema. And you can see the result of that personal search in the post "Decisions, Directions, and Resolutions."

As for the book - charley, it ain't an e-book. It is a published work from the Leaping Lizards, The industry leader in Bizarre, storytelling and now theatrical magic books - available worldwide at any and all magic dealers. And it is getting great reviews. And selling.

Don't be a charley - oh, wait. Too late.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Very good. You put me in my place! haha
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Yes I did. Thanks for being a big enough man to admit when you are wrong.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I'd like to thank BDC for sharing his questions with us, and also thank those who have given useful, meanful advice. For me, this type of information sharing is what can potentially make the Café one of the most valuable resources available to anyone who sincerely wants to learn more about the successful promotion of thier act. I hope that you all will continue to share your wisdom and experience with us.

Chris
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Thanks Chris. It is hard to admit weaknesses in a public forum, and I am glad that there were several brothers willing to share constructive info and advice to help me find direction in both professional and personal areas.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How much is too much? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL