The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Talent Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Hello, I am a 16 year old magician and I am going to be in my school's talent show on the 16th of November. I wanted to do a swords through assistant's head at least, but what else could I do? If you have any ideas, preferably something in Paul Osborne's Illusion Systems that I could do and build. Please reply. Thank you

E.B. Nicholson
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hi there,

To speed up the process check out some of our old threads, there has been lots written about this very subject! And not everyone may still be here, so you will get even more ideas with the older posts.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Vince_the_vince
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Vince_the_vince
Check Illusion book by Andrew Mayne or in Tarbell
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

E.B. What would you like to do??

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Vince_the_vince
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Vince_the_vince
I'm not kidding if you want to buit something impressive and easy to do...check Tarbell
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
One thing you might want to think about... Obviously you know your school better than I do, but I would carefully evaluate anything using swords, knives, guns, or even fire...

Yes, I know you're fine. You know you're fine. Unfortunately I've experienced first hand the stupidity of school administrators. In the Post-Columbine, ultra-sensitive, ultra-paranoid era I wouldn't put it past our public schools to make a HUGE issue out of this.

I don't want to put a damper on anything, but at one of our local schools a kid got expelled because he picked up a fish stick, pointed it at another kid, and shouted "Bang!".

Just give it some thought.

Please don't look at me as being sour grapes... It's just that I nearly had a similar issue when I used fire in a magic act at my senior talent show five years ago. Fortunately nothing ultimately became of it, but I wouldn't run the risk had I to do over again.
-- Matthew R. Jones --

-- Website --

FREE Remote Cueing System for Mac! - Download Here
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Blair: I actually don't know what I like because I'm only a beginner.
Vince: What volume of Tarbell is it in?
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
MysticalMatt517: Well my school is very liberal but I'll still ask them tomorrow about the swords.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Each vol. of Tarbell has 2-3 illusions. Do you have any of the Osborne books?

You are doing a sword box (head box) with an assistant, or volunteer? Do you have an assistant, or do you want to use someone from the audience?

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
I would like an assistant as in my partner on stage and yes I do have one. I own the Classic Illusions Volume 1 and Begin to Build Your own Illusions Volume 1. By the way thank you all for your help in this.

E.B. Nicholson
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
Andrew Mayne has a sword box for your head that only uses a cardboard box and some umbrellas. I believe it's in his book illusion tec .and the shock FX DVD
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Well, I can't do the swords through head because my principal said no. Do you people have any other ideas for something I can do?

Also dark kard, that may actually be a plus because my script could be something like "Well, I was going to put swords through my assistant's head, but than Jane (my principal, we call our teachers by their first names there) said that I couldn't use swords so I had to improvise (bring out an umbrella)" It will be great!

Thanks

E.B. Nicholson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Talent Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL