The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tail Coat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Hi guys !
I am planning to custom-make a new Tail-Coat(Is that the way you called it?) .
I've seen many magicians with Tail-coat and it is very cool ! Lol .
Anyway , can anyone tell me more about what a tail-coat does ?
Can I hold cards with it ? I usually hold my cards under my belt when doing my card act.

Please shed some light

Regards
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
The tail coat by itself is only a sort of dress coat woren during and at the turn of the 19th century. The dress by it self consists of a pair of black pants with a outer stripe on them and the tailcoat. If you want to be classical there are a few rules you must folow.
The tail coat has a short front ant two tails at the back. Both pants and coat should be black and is most often made in wool. There should also be worn with white dress shirt, white bowtie and white vest al three in ehite and the same piké. The talcoat should have a white cloth hanky in the breastpocket. Also you must have black painted shoes and black socks.
There are some people that wear a tailcoat with black tie and black vest this is however only acceppted if you are going to a funeral. White vest and Black bow tie is only woren by matredees at resturants.
The shirt that goes with the tailcoat should have cuffliks.
This is a classical tailcoat
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ci......rack.jpg

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic
Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
If you would like some wonderful insight into creating tailcoat pockets, read Tommy Wonder The Books of Wonder vol 2. You can also wear a cummerbun which will hold your cards and give you a belly servant (also discussed in Tommy's book) for vanishing and switching objects. A vest also opens you to TONS of possibilities. There are several publications that cover the subject, I found Tommy to have the best insight into all of the misdirection involved with costuming and your interaction with your costume.
Aim To Amaze
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
What is the name of the deep pockets that are in the tails?

Prefronds?

Somebody help me out.
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Alright ! Will checkout the book sooner or later Smile
Anyway , where do you guys keep your cards most of the time ? I mean when you are performing your card act ? I usually keep my cards under my belt behind my back with paper clips .

Regards,
Kenny
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Quote:
On 2007-10-16 21:35, scaevola wrote:
What is the name of the deep pockets that are in the tails?

Prefronds?

Somebody help me out.

Profondes
Aim To Amaze
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Topits..Howard
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I was actually going to post something like this, I hope you don't mind if I ask a question in this thread so as to the forums from getting cluttered.

My question is actually about multiplying balls, Like PseudoManipulator, I would like to wear a tailcoat (I don't plan on making it though). I usually hold my multiplying balls under the edge of my jacket, however, I don't see how I could do this with a tailcoat. Would I place them behind the tails? Also, does Tommy Wonders book cover this?

Thanks so much,
Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Yes , I wanted to ask that question too !
Thanks T.G Danton !
Anyone please shed some light !

Thanks
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Haha..it seems magical minds think alike!
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
With a tailcoat you wear either a vest or cummerbun, both of which provide you with places for storing and ditching balls. You could of course hide anything behind the tails, as longs as your misdirection allows you to go back and retrieve them. Tommy Wonder's books do not specifically cover body loads, only those that are used in his effects.

He does cover his manipulation routine that he performed in the 70's seen here : http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/510465/t......_70s.swf
He does his own billiard ball routine in this act.
Aim To Amaze
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Ah, so you would use the vest/cummerbun to hold the balls until you need them. Thanks.

Off topic a little, where would you be able to find a book or dvd which covers body loads for billiard balls?

Back to Tailcoats: PseudoManipulator, Are you ever planning on using doves in your act? just wondered, because if you are planning on having your coat custom made, it would be a good idea to go ahead and have it set up for that.

I am guessing you would also hold candles in your vest/cummerbun when wearing a tailcoat, correct? I use candles in my act currently, so this is something I would need to be able to have in a body load.

Danton
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
The best info I can say about body loads is to see where your hands go naturally during your performance, and then create your load locations based on that. You can use a ball clip (or any other clip for candles, cards, etc...) anywhere in your jacket, it doesn't have to be at the waistline. One thing I do is stand in front of a mirror and go through the motions as I would want them to look, then devise a way to make everything else fit into that. You don't want your presentation to revolve around your gimmicks; your gimmicks should support your presentation.

~Matt
Aim To Amaze
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Watch Tommy Wonder's vanish of the egg and lemon at the end of this routine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqLvPaQOsQ
Aim To Amaze
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Thanks Matt...I agree with 100% about not letting your gimmicks run the show.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Geffory Buckingham..his video covers it all..Cordially,Howard
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Hey Thanks Howard. I will look into that.

Maybe after my next gig I'll be able to think about placing an order. *laugh*

Danton
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I forgot..Ron MacMillan's SYMPHONY OF THE SPHERES.He ends up wiht a 14 ball production.Lewis Ganson wrote the book.All holders ect. are explained..Cordially,Howard
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Hey Danton ,
Yeap magical minds do think alike ! lmao

Yes , I planned to use dove for my act , unfortunately it is very difficult for me to obtain a dove in my town . I am wondering can I order my doves somewhere else on the internet ? I think that is not possible . Sigh ...

Anyway , I am getting more and more interested in Tail-Coat !

Best ,
Kenny
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I forgot..THE NEW EXPERT BILLIARD BALL MANIPULATION by BURLING HULL.It is a Mickey Hades publication..Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tail Coat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL