The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ponsin on Conjuring original French Text. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Does any of our magic friends from France have access to this book, originally published in 1853? Is it available for sale in France? If so is there any link to a French bookstore that I can buy it from?

I'm not interested in the English translation that is a series of excerpts.

Thanks for any help.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Contact Joe Stevens
Mobius
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming you're talking about Joe Stevens of Stevens Magic Emporium. I just called and he was on the phone. I'll try and email him, when I get home.

THanks again....and if anyone else has any info on where I can get this please post or pm me.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
No dice with Joe. He said he wouldn't know where to start. Anyone else? If it's available in ebook form in the french language that's fine as well.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
The French title of the book is:

Sorcellerie ancienne et moderne expliquee

If anyone can help please let me know.

If you know how to get a hold of Decremps "Testament de Jerome Sharpe, professeur de physique amusante"

I'm looking for that as well.

Thanks for any help.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Podcastrant,

I'm curious....what does the french version offer that the translated version that I own lack????
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Unfortunately I don't know. That's what I'm trying to find out. The standard line is that the English translation just covers the things that Hoffman left out of Modern Magic. (Hoffman having taken liberally from Ponsin and Houdin to compile Modern Magic)

For a project I'm working on the dates that certain things came out are essential, so I'm trying to get a copy to see what was included in the original work. If I get one, I'll send you a transcription of the entries related to coin magic.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Folks, if you've read a few of Fischer's translations of works into english or Sharpe's translations you will start to notice some limitations which may give you pause to wonder just what was lost when those guys did not read too well between the lines.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
That's another reason why I want it as well. So I can get it from the source.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
With the help of Dam, I found the book for $217...so it will be awhile before, if, I get it.

Thanks for everyone's help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ponsin on Conjuring original French Text. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL