We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Coin Hidden in Hand Trick done by Jason Alexander (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 10:12, mrmagic0 wrote:
Is there a demo video of Jason performing this effect. I probably would be able to tell for sure since I am the co-inventor of Child's Play and would be able to spot some tell tale signs. I am also very familiar with "Eye" to Eye".

Ron

Sorry but no, I only saw this on Reel Magic Quarterly. But I too was curious about this.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I love this video
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17686 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That Derren clip was very entertaining!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12355 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 10:04, kriskraze wrote:
Preshow.

Could, but don't think so. Too many other easier ways to do this. I would think Jason purchased the means.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 06:06, Slim King wrote:
That Derren clip was very entertaining!

Yapp... although the plot of the effect is soooo simple.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17686 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'd have to say that it's my new favorite. Involves the entire audience, has a great deal of mobility for humor. and a good ending..He also utilizes the entire stage in a symetrical fashion in tempo with the show.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I have watched it many times in the past. He demonstrates the perfect middle ground between the strength of the effect, and a relaxed humourous presentational style. Wonderful sleight of hand used too, reminiscent of the boldness and creativeness demonstrated in his lecture video.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 10:27, RickDangerous wrote:
Mesmer, I like this idea very much. Taking a magic effect and creating something different out of it.
Great thinking on your part.

Thank You!

Now I might add new phases thanks to David Shuttleworth "Mindblowing Mentalism"
I havent try this new pahses in front of people yet, I even havent sricpt it right

Phase 1: I guess the Spectator in wich hand the Brass key is
(From Mindblowing Mentalism)

Phase 2: she guess in wich colour of the key that I hold in my hand, if she got
more than 3 mistakes she will win some money

Phase 3: my kicker prediction ending that I wrote behind the Bills and it turn out
the mistake that she makes is indeed because I influence her to make the
three wrong guesess

some member in here suggest I end with the productions of Jumbo Key other suggest to end with the Silk Blendo Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12355 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 08:30, David Meade wrote:
I have watched it many times in the past. He demonstrates the perfect middle ground between the strength of the effect, and a relaxed humourous presentational style. Wonderful sleight of hand used too, reminiscent of the boldness and creativeness demonstrated in his lecture video.

Beautiful s****h. yes, indeed.

J
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1526 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Well after viewing the Derren Brown video my thinking is he is using a M***s device. Very clever routine.

Ron
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17686 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think that he stuck a GPS device on the item before anyone could see Smile
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I saw Jason Alexander do this live & he was using an eye to eye. Derren's routine
is great! Seven minutes with seemingly no props. Kept it moving and fun. Great.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12355 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 12:47, mrmagic0 wrote:
Well after viewing the Derren Brown video my thinking is he is using a M***s device. Very clever routine.

Ron

May not be M***s. I believe he employs a s****h and a preshow bit.

Watch close while he is getting spec on stage. Hand in pocket. Then at end hand in pocket again.

John

PS: BTW mrmagic0 looking forward to receiving my CPII soon. Maybe tomorrow!!
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1526 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
John:

I am sure you will like the CPII

Ron
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That was a marvelous rountine on the video.
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 07:01, harishjose wrote:
Demo videos here:
http://www.magicbox.uk.com/shop.php/shop......378.html

http://www.stevensmagic.com/videoclips/eyetoeye.mov

You be the judge. I am not familiar with Childs Play. The only drawback with the Eye to Eye is the 'move". And sadly enough everybody chooses a woman to do this effect. Smile

I don't know the performer in the first clip posted above but I'm constantly amazed at the lack of actual "performance" in routines such as this. More specifically the reaction of the performer on seeing whether he is right or wrong with his guess.

You HAVE to put yourself in the mindset that you are "REALLY" reading body language tells (afterall, that is what you are tellingthe audience), in which case, everytime you guessed and they opened their hand to reveal you are correct, wouldn't you be slightly happy? It's so overlooked in performances and I see it time and time again. The audience will buy into what you are doing at an unconscious level if you look like you are truly delighted with your correct guesses. Many magicians fall foul to the fact that they already know, by whatever method they are using, where the coin is, and so forget the fact that when the coin is revealed, it should be the FIRST TIME they actually know if they are right, as opposed to a minute earlier when they felt the vibration or tingle in the E***s. The performer in the demo shows absolutely no sign whatsoever of being pleased at being right and it looks fake (to me)

Also, adding an element of being unsure adds so much drama and puts the audience on tenterhooks

I'm hopefully going to be putting my 'coin in hand' effect on my website soon, via youtube, and will post when it's up. I have performed it many hundreds of times and it has become a real reputation maker. Hopefully it will also convey my points above better.

End of rant.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-20 17:14, Mesaboogie wrote:
I don't know the performer in the first clip posted above but I'm constantly amazed at the lack of actual "performance" in routines such as this. More specifically the reaction of the performer on seeing whether he is right or wrong with his guess.

You HAVE to put yourself in the mindset that you are "REALLY" reading body language tells (afterall, that is what you are tellingthe audience), in which case, everytime you guessed and they opened their hand to reveal you are correct, wouldn't you be slightly happy? It's so overlooked in performances and I see it time and time again. The audience will buy into what you are doing at an unconscious level if you look like you are truly delighted with your correct guesses. Many magicians fall foul to the fact that they already know, by whatever method they are using, where the coin is, and so forget the fact that when the coin is revealed, it should be the FIRST TIME they actually know if they are right, as opposed to a minute earlier when they felt the vibration or tingle in the E***s. The performer in the demo shows absolutely no sign whatsoever of being pleased at being right and it looks fake (to me)

Also, adding an element of being unsure adds so much drama and puts the audience on tenterhooks

I'm hopefully going to be putting my 'coin in hand' effect on my website soon, via youtube, and will post when it's up. I have performed it many hundreds of times and it has become a real reputation maker. Hopefully it will also convey my points above better.

End of rant.

I agree with your POV 100%, BUT please realize that other performers choose to act as if they are cocksure that they were/are right, because it jibes with their performing persona of having a supernatural or masterful gift that never fails them.

Derren Brown does not look pleased nor does he show it in his voice - he acts as though there were no doubt that he would be correct. His persona is the master of psychology, etc., and so he never wants to show any doubt in his abilities.

The difference lies in the persona of the performer, n'est-ce pas?

Arnon
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
It's "Eye to Eye".

Robert
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12355 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-10-20 20:21, Robert M wrote:
It's "Eye to Eye".

Robert

I think we may have jumbled this thread up. Some of us are talking about Derren Brown and some are talking about Jason Alexander.

I think Derren's video he uses something like CPII and he S****H's the coin out with the help of the spec. I think Derren's objective is to make the audience think he is doing this with the specs object thus successful via his influence and his ability to suss out tells.

Jason is simply using a routine to tell an entertaining story. Jason isn't too worried about seeming like the "real" thing! He uses all his props.

There is a difference. I like them both. In most of Derren's stuff he is a minimalist. Like, for example, his yes/no video. There's no story. He simply asks the spec to GUESS which card he put down -- yes or no. That's it. Most performers feel a long drawn out story is the way to go. I like both methods.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Coin Hidden in Hand Trick done by Jason Alexander (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL