The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » First C&B Routine, w/ rookie complex (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
I am currently learning the routine from Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. My only change, so far, to his routine is that I am incorporating a wand (I made one from a cedar arrow shaft, laquered with silver painted tips). I am also improvising cups by using Mark Wilsons coffee cup idea (hey, I gotta start somewhere). My question is, once I get the routine down perfectly, being as I don't have a paying performace gig, who do I perform the routine for without seeming strange for carrying around cups and balls to work or school? I realize this is a weird question, but my crowd thus far is limited to coworkers and classmates, and I usually do a quick card or sponge ball routine. Maybe coffee cups in the break room at work or Caféteria at school is most appropriate, your expert wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Sorry to pose such an oddball question, but maybe I can get some words of encouragement from people who have "been there".

Thanks,
Vinny
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Vinny,

Welcome to the Café! You'll find some fantastic people and advice here.

Just work the C&B's for those you know at first. There's nothing wrong with carrying them around with you. Just pull them out of your magic close-up case, backpack at school, or briefcase at work and have fun.

Later, if you start doing parlor type shows, street magic shows, etc...you'll have them sitting close by as part of your routine.

Until then...just have fun!

Mark.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Vinny, welcome to the world of cups and balls.

I would suggest that you perform to as many people as possible, and wherever possible. The reason is ... you get to polish your routine as the different responses from different groups of people will help you improve. These responses will also help you in further developments of the routine, presentation and also the script for the patter.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I don't think the question is odd at all, and a good one to ask in all aspect of magic. How do I get in and out of the routine?

The best advice I have been given is what James states... Do it as much as possible, and wherever. This helps work on calming nerves, giving you confidence in performing in different settings.

And welcome to the Café!

RevJohn
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
Thanks for understanding. As soon as I feel confident that I can perfectly perform the routine, I will definitely perform it as much as possible. Rookie nerves are hard to overcome, but I think with the support and advice I am getting from the Café members, I will overcome much of my anxiety.

Once again thank you for understanding and making me feel like a welcome member of your community.

-Vinny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » First C&B Routine, w/ rookie complex (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL