The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Geometric Cabinet Appearance Effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Hi there,

I'm trying to track down a illusion designed by Rand Woodbury for a friend:

The basic effect is an appearing assistant (actually 4 appearing assistants). The lovely young ladies appear from a stand-up cabinet that shows 3 hollow geometric shapes that go all the way through the cabinet. On top is a triangle, middle has a square and the bottom a squared-off circle (or a square with cut corners if you prefer). The insert for each shape is taken out of the stand-up cabinet starting with the triangle and set aside. When the magician finishes removing the shapes, the front door is opened to reveal the assistant.

Apparently, there is a similar effect that only allows for the appearance of a single assistant. My friend would prefer the version that allows for 4 assistants to appear.

Anybody know the proper name for this effect? If I can find the correct name, I can help my friend to find which Woodbury book would have the plans for building it. So, if you know the name of the effect and/or the Woodbury book that offers it... that would be most helpful!

Thanks!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
You may also want to check out one of his building videos, I believe he shows how this one is built, along with the Cat Tower, Slanted Cage and one other.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Quote:
On 2003-02-18 19:02, Blair Marshall wrote:
You may also want to check out one of his building videos, I believe he shows how this one is built, along with the Cat Tower, Slanted Cage and one other.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

Hey Blair,

Thanks for that. Yeah... I see that Rand has 4 volumes of his "Illusionworks" videos available, but I'd hate to have to get all 4 just to find this one trick for my friend. Any idea what the proper name of the effect might be?

Excellent suggestion. Thanks!!
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hi all,

The name of the effect is geometrically impossible, and i believe the video is volume four, but im not sure.

Beau
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
The illusion is Geometrically Impossible. It is on tape 2 or 3 pretty its 2. I will look into it when I get home. PM if you would like more on this illusion. I have worked with one before with some additions made to it. Such as using 6 girls.

Mike
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
Sneakers,

Geometrically Impossible is on page 27, 28, 29, and 30, in Rand Woodbury's ILLUSIONWORKS 1 book.

Make sure to buy the book.

Regards,
John Taylor
Mysterium Global Productions
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
There is one on magicauction.com right now. check it out. Smile
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Yes I am sorry the book also has the info in it. And by owing the book you own the rights to perform the illusion.

The video is number 2.

Mike
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
You don't suppose owning the video where Rand shows you how to actually build the illusion step by step would give you permission to perform it?

I would buy the book also for the other great ideas in it. But if you are interested only in that illusion, I would think buying the video would give you permission to perform it.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
454 Posts

Profile of Kingry
The Geometrically Impossible on Magic Auction belongs to a friend. He had it built for one show. It is absolutly beautiful, and a steal at what he is asking.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I would agree with that. Due to the nature of the prop allot of lumber is wasted in construction.

I know that the book says you are ok to use these ideas. Not sure on the video. But I really don't see why not.

Let me clear this up. The video DOES NOT show you step by step how to build it. Rand shows you the clip form his show. And then does a walkthrough of the prop in his shop. Was he points out the major issues? No measurements just key facts and points on how and why the illusion works.

Mike
PetePedersen
View Profile
New user
Pete Pedersen
1 Post

Profile of PetePedersen
Quote:
On 2003-02-18 18:53, Sneakers wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to track down a illusion designed by Rand Woodbury for a friend:

The basic effect is an appearing assistant (actually 4 appearing assistants). The lovely young ladies appear from a stand-up cabinet that shows 3 hollow geometric shapes that go all the way through the cabinet. On top is a triangle, middle has a square and the bottom a squared-off circle (or a square with cut corners if you prefer). The insert for each shape is taken out of the stand-up cabinet starting with the triangle and set aside. When the magician finishes removing the shapes, the front door is opened to reveal the assistant.

Apparently, there is a similar effect that only allows for the appearance of a single assistant. My friend would prefer the version that allows for 4 assistants to appear.

Anybody know the proper name for this effect? If I can find the correct name, I can help my friend to find which Woodbury book would have the plans for building it. So, if you know the name of the effect and/or the Woodbury book that offers it... that would be most helpful!

Thanks!

Actually the illusion is called "Geometrically Impossible". I have one for sale that can easily produce either four or six girls. It is a beautiful illusion.

If interested, please email me at old.magician@verizon.net
Magic-at-the-Wells-2003
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Mike,

You are correct.

The video is not as specific with that illusion as some of the others on the video. For someone to actually build it, if they have never built an illusion of this style, they would definitely need the book as well as the video for reference.
Clarence
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore, City Central, Scotts Road
146 Posts

Profile of Clarence
If i remembered correctly, there is a similar illusion like this in one of Paul Osborne's illusion systems book 3 or 4.

The production of a few girls.. pretty neat!
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Are you referring to the Arc Of Impossibilities?

Mike
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Excellent!

You are all too kind. I'll advise my friend.

Cheers!
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
323 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Magic Makers are selling that illusion...

Regards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Geometric Cabinet Appearance Effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL