The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hans Klok show to close (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
311 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 13:36, Johnnie Blaze wrote:
Ouch Tim that was a little harsh on our Canadian princess now wasnt it?

Not harsh enough in my opinion.

I included my thoughts about Ms Anderson's appearance here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5141841

RE: The wind machine:

He only blow-dried his hair once on the night I saw him. Granted it was one too many times, but that type of thing didn't dominate the show.

Whatever wind his fan blew into the show, Anderson sucked an equal amount of wind out of it.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
His show is overkill and lacks the most important: Emotion
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

I'd rather do 9-15 well performed illusions instead of 60+.....
There is this saying about chocolate and sex...
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-17 21:40, hugmagic wrote:
Isn't that wonderful..not only is the Delage's Fastest Trick ripped off but it is exposed.

The publicity Hans has generated from this will serve him very well in the years to come.

Richard

He is the Thurston of the new Millenia and Master Illusionist Guy Jarret called Thurston a Smile
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Silvio, do you think the lack of emotion and the multitude of tricks was because of the language barrier? Or is that his style?

I know some people that can act very well, but forget about pulling off a trick haha. And I have seen a lot of the opposite where the trick is performed well, just like a robot would do it with about as much emotion. I was heading out to Vegas this spring, I was hoping to see the show at least once.

While a celebrity is good to bring in some recognition you really have to pick someone who is not know just for the healthy lungs.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Yes, look at the early Henning and Copperfield productions. That is what an illusion show should look like. I consider myself a dream merchant who transports the audience for an hour or two into a world where hopes and wishes are fullfilled.

Someone just good looking who rattles off one after the other, somebody here at the Café did count over 80 illusions, is totally missing the point of this business.

I agree 100% to what Doug Henning said.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Oliver - Twist
View Profile
Regular user
France
170 Posts

Profile of Oliver - Twist
Silvio,

I agree with you. Maybe the audience has changed with the time and today they're looking more for some stunning illusions fast paced, rather than emotional pieces telling stories and trying to "realize" human dreams. A good show has some from everything.
I think it depends sometimes on the audience : age, culture, educations, influences. For exemple in France,people always want to know how you've done, even though the magic has a strong story and emotions invloved. In Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States of America, people just like to have "fun".

Oliver.
May all your days be magical

Oliver Twist
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Well, I just got home from Vegas and with much hesitation I went to this show. To tell you the truth I was not looking forward to seeing 40 illusion thrown at me in 90 minutes. I went with my girlfriend who from being with me knows a little about tech but not too much. I agree with Tim that her costume was just aweful and that she gave away what I think was a very good trick was a bit stupid. My girl even turned to me and asked "is that how it was really done?" She was a bit surprised and then dissapointed because she really liked it and did not want to know.

Now, on to what I thought of the show. The dancing was a bit Broadway, and being from NYC I have seen quite a bit of this. It could have been a bit shorter but hey it seemed to work and break up al the illusions. The lighting was just fantastic and the production value was very good. The girls he used in the illusions were great and the "evil" girl, which I believe is his main assistant was just great. Pam gets all the press but these girls are the heart and soul of this show. The dance sequence with the cheese wheels was sort of funny, but I am not sure everyone got that they were chees wheels. The fan blowing on you when you go into the theater made me laugh, but only because I am familar with Hans. He did not use the fan as much as I expected in the show. He does A LOT of over posing, but I think that has something to do with where he comes from and his very 80's style.

The illusions were all very good and although he performs them very fast they are performed well, the people around me were loving them. It does say in his promo that he is the worlds fastest illusionst and he lives up to it. Overall I did with much hesitation enjoy the show as I love illusions and it was nice to see an entire catalog of them performed. I went to P & T a few nights earlier and much to my dissapointment did not enjoy their show as much as I did Klok's. Now, before you get all crazy, I am a P & T fan but the show as lacking a bit for me. There was a few great effects in their show, but overall not a great show. But, that review is best left for another post. I would say that if you are going to Vegas take the time and see this show as I think it is worth the time to see it. The theatre is huge and quite frankly I think it is too big for this show but it is a very nice room.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
AVLD
View Profile
New user
London
5 Posts

Profile of AVLD
Tim, just to fill in some background about the screens held in the hands either side of the stage. The hand screens are originally a hang over from the European tour as it played arena venues and they provided close ups of what was going on onstage. They were not really needed for Las Vegas ( as most of the audience were not really that far away from the stage ) but they stayed, although half way through the run, the live video was cut and only the logo and movies remained. I guess it was to save money when it was not really needed.

Today ( Dec 8th ) is their last 2 shows and I am very sad it has come to an end. I worked as the lighting designer for the show and was very proud of what we all achieved on the show. It was a long journey from starting just over a year ago rehearsing for the European tour in a cold TV studio in Holland to a amazing experience working in Las Vegas.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Caveat Lector:

What secret did Pamela expose on the show?

Reynold
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-09 10:01, reynold wrote:
Caveat Lector:

Reynold

She exposed the Vanishing Flower Pot.

Best,

Tim
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Quote:
On 2007-12-09 10:01, reynold wrote:
Caveat Lector:

Reynold

Yes, it was the vanishing flower pot, which as a younger magician I worked with a magiian named Jack Adams and it was always one of my favorites. It was a shame to see it just thrown under the bus for a cheap laugh.
www.underworldent.com
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Quote:
On 2007-12-09 00:45, AVLD wrote:
Tim, just to fill in some background about the screens held in the hands either side of the stage. The hand screens are originally a hang over from the European tour as it played arena venues and they provided close ups of what was going on onstage. They were not really needed for Las Vegas ( as most of the audience were not really that far away from the stage ) but they stayed, although half way through the run, the live video was cut and only the logo and movies remained. I guess it was to save money when it was not really needed.

Today ( Dec 8th ) is their last 2 shows and I am very sad it has come to an end. I worked as the lighting designer for the show and was very proud of what we all achieved on the show. It was a long journey from starting just over a year ago rehearsing for the European tour in a cold TV studio in Holland to a amazing experience working in Las Vegas.

I must say that if you were the lighting designer that you did a fantastic job. I really enjoyed the lighting and it really did make the show look very good.
www.underworldent.com
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
I must also jump in and say the lighting was amazing!

can you PM me your contact info?

would like to hire you to do some lighting designs.
AVLD
View Profile
New user
London
5 Posts

Profile of AVLD
Thank you for your compliment. I had a great time doing the show. It was my first magic show and in the process learnt a lot about lighting for magic. We had great consultants Rafael and Don Wayne who were always on hand to help.You can find out more about my design work on my website http://www.avld.com ( there are a few pictures from the Las Vegas show ).
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Hello, whats the purpose for the exposure?
Thanks,
Reynold
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-09 23:07, reynold wrote:
Hello, whats the purpose for the exposure?
Thanks,
Reynold

A very cheap laugh. Which it didn't get.

Best,

Tim
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
The only cheap thing in that show was her look. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good slutty assistants outfit but she just did nothing for the show. Other than help with marketing.
www.underworldent.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-09 21:45, AVLD wrote:
Thank you for your compliment. I had a great time doing the show. It was my first magic show and in the process learnt a lot about lighting for magic.

It was obvious you had never lit a magic show before. I've never seen lighting like that in a magic show ever. I was sitting in the audience with about 5 other magicians and we were all impressed with the fresh/original look of the lighting. It really took the show up quite a few notches. Well done!

Best,

Tim
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Incredible looking stuff judging from the photos alone.

Bravo Andrew!

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hans Klok show to close (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL