The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar's cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 15:24, Mobius303 wrote:
Mike Rogers made those baseball's special for Mike and two other famous magicians.
Mobius

Actually, Mike made them for many magicians, famous and not so famous. He made a couple of sets of special load balls for me.

After he died, Mike's widow farmed these out to a lady from Guatemala, according to one of the last sources. I heard from this source that Mike's widow has not been satisfied with the quality of the balls from the last shipment, so she is quitting.

But that's not entirely bad news. Jedinat still has them, the fellow in Australia still has them, and Auke still makes them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 16:25, djkuttdecks wrote:
But you can still buy them on Ammar's site right?
-DJ

Only while supplies last.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 17:12, leaycraft wrote:
I have a set of the Ammar Cups that I am learning with, was going to have James T, make balls for- Should I think about a batter set of cups- Theay are a nice wieght tho. Bill - Jake? Waiting for my Halloween Special chop cups from Jake. Plan to use them for imprompteu work, while keeping my Riser for more formal work.

What were the changes that were going to made to thes originals?

Slightly different shape, better stacking.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I think you mis-understood Bill. The specific Baseballs made for Mike Ammar were made of different Leather than the regular balls ....he made only three sets. I used to talk with him all the time and yes Mike used to do special orders. His last e-mail to me was about doing a set of balls out of Doe skin that I had here. We never got the chance to finish the deal sadly.
It was because of Mike Rogers that I contacted James Riser and then got to see Bill's Cups and Balls Museum.
Stevens also still has baseballs by Mike Rogers.

I think a better shape would greatly imporve the Ammar Cups....they are horrible and I am surprised that Mike made them on purpose that way.
Later,
Mobius
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No, Stevens doesn't have balls by Mike Rogers. They have balls that were made for Mike's widow by the lady from Guatemala.

I'm aware that Mike made custom order balls. As I mentioned, he made a special set of load balls for me. I didn't mention that he made some special chop cup balls for me, as well. I used them at the Renaissnace Festival for several years.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Were the Ammar really all that bad? Which was worse : the Ammar cups or the Garcia cups?

Fortasse
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Garcia Cups were worse.
The Ammar cups were just odd.
Mobius
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
All of the Ammar sets I have handled seem to have a suction issue..... Meaning that when I stack two cups, they are slow to completely nest for the last 1/2 inch, and when I unstack them, I can actually hold the cups in the air with my hand holding the top cup and the bottom cup will slowly dislodge itself versus just dropping.....

I have handled 2 brand new sets and 3 used sets and they all handle this way...some have been worse than others.....

James
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That's a side effect of making them "too good."

You need a certain amount of "slop" to allow for air flow so that doesn't happen.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Anyone know of a set for sale? I've looked around ebay...nothing.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ammar's cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL