The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Need some tips. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
I want to get a better copper/silver coin. (Don't ask, I'll let you use your imagination as to why.) So what I'm asking is, what is the best effect on the market that comes with a copper/silver coin?
Genuis@work

We're trying to adopt. Visit us HERE
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
If you are asking who makes the best C/S coin, I'd say Johnson as far as price to quality! As for best tricks? IMO, if you know some Crimp moves and have a C/S as well as reg. coins, you could do hours worth!
Mick
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
Thanks, Micky, I was meaning Sun/Moon type ideas. Things where I can get two for the price of one. I've had my eye on the Johnson for a while, I'm just looking for options.
Genuis@work

feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
I would go with Johnson's Hopping Half trick. You get a lot of gimmicks for the price. To this day, I haven't used the Hopping Half routine on anyone. I bought it for the gimmicks. You get four gimmicks altogether. Can't beat that for the price.
I hope that helps.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
Does the Johnson come with an expanded [ and/or a full size C/S coin, or an unexpanded [ and a shaved C/S? Thanks.

Also, has anyone ever had a problem with a shaved C/S?
Genuis@work

feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
It's an expanded shell, then a fitted shell, over the C/S. Normal size.
I hope that answered any of your questions.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8637 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Tim, this might be crazy, but I made a mistake once and got the shaved Hopping Halves set instead of the Johnson's expanded set. Smile I don't use it either, and don't like the shaved-down version. I agree that the Johnson set is worth it for all the gaffs you get, but do you find a difference between a copper/silver coin and a sun & moon coin? My set came with a sun & moon coin. It seems basically a cop/silv, only thinner. Not sure of the real differences in this, but I think there is a real difference.

Anyway, can't think of any effects that come with the cop/silv coin except HH. But the cop/silvs are pretty cheap to get, or you can get expensive ones from Schoolcraft or Lassen. They're nice, but I don't know. For what you use them for, it don't seem to make much sense...sorta like having a nice Mercedes Coupe with no place to go, or perhaps having an extremely beautiful woman, but you're blind and have no hands.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Unless the Johnson Hopping Half has been changed, it DOES NOT come with a C/S. It comes with a Sun/Moon coin, NOT THE SAME THING. A true C/S is a full size coin, showing C on one side, S on the other, and has a milled edge. The Sun/Moon coin is a shaved, thin coin, showing C/S with no milled edge. It is fitted in a fitted copper [ and has an expanded copper [ over that. The rest of the set is a normal half with an expanded [.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
So which would you recommend, the HH or Sun & Moon? Any reason for it? Is the Sun & Moon still a half and penny?
Genuis@work

DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
The Sun and Moon that comes with the Johnson set is a Kennedy Half and English Penny. It works well in the "Hopping Half" routine, and also in the "Sun and Moon" routine as given in Bobo. In both of these the coin is seen by itself, not next to a real coin. IMHO, it is not a substitute for a true C/S. (Oddly, for some reason I suddenly cannot use some punctuation marks, such as an apostrophe or front slash. When I do, I get a "quick find" bar. Weird!) Anyway, the Sun and Moon coin does not resemble either well enough to pass when lying next to the real coins.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4909 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have only nice things to say about this coin company, well recommended.

http://www.schoolcraftprecisionmagic.com/
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
I would go with the Johnson Hopping Half Set. There are a lot of gimmicks there. You may want to get some English pennies from Johnson as well, just to be sure the gaffs match. Johnson coins are very shiny brand new, and you want your gaffs to age/wear consistently with coins that match.

A half dollar expanded shell, an English penny expanded shell, sun and moon coin, copper/silver coin. It's a good price for all these gaffs, and Johnson's quality is great.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Hi smithpaul60,

I use a C/S coin combined with shell to replace sun and moon. Still works well for me...the down side is only a bit of shell mouth will appear, but that's if you pay attention really well (I use custom gaffs).

About the material, there are many... New York Coin Seminar has DVDs on C/S coin. Doug Brewer also has many application with C/S or S/M coin, both in Unexpected Visitors 1 and 2.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
How about SASCO?? Howard
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
If you use silver coins [Kennedy's or Liberty's] you could go via Magic Warehouse. For anything else [Franklin's, Barber's, etc.] then it's off to Jamie or Todd.
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
Another option is Johnson's Magnetic C/S. It comes with a half that is a Sun and Moon coin (the shell is shimmed and the insert is a magnet) and two English pennies; one is shimmed, the other not, and both are shaved down to fit into the Kennedy. The only advantages are that the C/S piece is just a little more thicker than the C/S piece of the sun and moon coin from the HH set, but it's a magnet, which opens up a lot of possibilities.
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
So it sounds like the Johnson HH is voted for the C/S gimmick. I haven't really done much with the Sun/Moon sets. Should I look into it? What are the benefits over a traditional C/S routine? Can I do the same things with a C/S coin and [ ?
I'll be looking up prices soon. Thanks for the feedback.
Genuis@work

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8637 Posts

Profile of Mb217
SP, check this string on the Sun & Moon coin, and reach out to Café member, Mike Wild, there. He's a great source on the specific gaff, it's uses, and brilliance. He also has several routines using the gaff (along with copper/silver work that are really nice effects along the lines of what you're thinking of here) at his website: http://www.sundragonmagic.com It should prove pretty helpful. Smile -Mb

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=202
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 06:48, graywolf wrote:
How about SASCO?? Howard

Not very good quality. I have a silver (Walking Liberty) Johnson's HH set that is decent quality and, at $100, a great value. If you are looking for good quality, check out Schoolcraft and Todd Lassen's coins. Expensive, but very well made.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Smith, my advise is to go to a magic shop in your area to have professionals show you some demos. You might want to get both types of coins. You might get a different type of coin. People have different tastes. You will never know what pleases you more with the coins until you see it in action.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Need some tips. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL