We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Large production drum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I am gathering info to build a large drum head production. I am interested in making it look like a marching band bass drum. Plans at this point would include using one of the large heavy cardboard tubes Home Depot sells for concrete column forms as the shell of the drum. I would like the drum to be about 18" to 24" in diameter. Has anyone here ever built one that big ?

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Mark,

I've only seen the concrete tubes as large as 12" diameter, but larger ones may be available.

There may be other ready to modify materials available, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Maybe you could actually find a junk drum.

I would think you could make the drum from a sheet of plywood (1/4" - 3/8") cut to appropriate dimensions, and bent to the desired shape.

Do an online search for bending plywood, and you'll find plenty of info on how to do this.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Check your local high schools. Being non-profit, they might have a problem selling an old beat-up drum (usually it's just the drumheads that have broken) but might be coaxed into giving it to you with a donation to their instrument repair fund.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I just looked on a popular internet auction site that shall not be named but rhymes with "Knee Way" and found 4 real old drums, with damaged or missing skins, most for about $20.

I can't imagine you'd spend a lot LESS than that to buy a Miranda Tube, (I THINK that's what I recall those concrete forms being called.) cut it down, fiberglass or cover it to make it strong enough to hold up, etc etc etc.

Also, local music store may have one that is trashed they would be happy to give you.

Last idea- find a relatively cylindrical trash can and cut it to neded size, then paint.

Given my druthers, I'd just make one out of fiber glass.

Actually, you COULD just get formica of proper width and length, join it to itself in a circle, brush the inside with a coat of fiberglass resin and add one layer of fiberglass cloth and have a pretty indestructible but relatively thin form with a permanent finish.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1620 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
If you'r talking about an illusion to produce a person, Osburne has plans for a Drum Tube that looks like a drum.

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/thinbasgirin.html
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Great ideas from everybody, THANK YOU ! I am going to be using the drum to produce something fairly large, but instead of a person, it will be a big dog puppet.

Michael, I have seen some of the Miranda tubers down here that are at least 24" in diameter. The 12" diameter ones I bought when I made my square circles were only half the size of the biggest ones they had in the store.

Funny, since I am a musician, but I never really stopped and thought about using an actual drum. I can see, now that Mr. Lizard is right about the cost comparison between an old drum and adding fiberglass and such to the Miranda tube. Your idea of the fiberglassed formica is intriguing.

Being in south Florida, there are no old time music stores down here, only modern well lit, sterile drum and guitar centers ! I miss the old days of the dusty music store crammed with stock all the way up to the top of the 20 foot ceilings. The town I grew up in had several of those. Of course, they are gone , now, due mostly to cybersales.

I will investigate further into the idea of an old bass drum. Ir would certainly be the most realistic. I think I am going to have some fun with this project !
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Large production drum (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL