The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Searchable Database: any upgrade coming? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
As everyone knows, The Magic Café site doesn't have a truly functional search engine.

The site itself is excellent but a search engine is hugely important. The problem was exacerbated when Google was blocked.

One of the benefits to the Café would be non-repetition of topics and comments, which would save server space. Currently, there is a new discussion of the Mental Photography deck, repeating what was discussed only a short time ago.

Any possibility of an upgrade to this feature, Steve?

Steve H Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5191 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Steve: Not really sure what you are looking for in a search engine. Currrently, using the search button allows a wide variety of options to look for users, topics, subjects etc. Adding more features to that search engine would still require a user to go there and search for a subject. Since you feel this isn't being done currently, it would seem that it wouldn't be done with an enhancement either. Also, using the current search engine, with a subject of "search" would have resulted in multiple responses to this exact question. Suggestions are always welcome at the Café and if you could give some specific examples of what you'd like to see, it would be easier to work on a solution.
Where the magic begins
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Dave:

Whatever happened over the last 24 hours, it's interestingly positive.

Steve replied privately that they were doing an upgrade of the search capabilities. So maybe they did something overnight.

At the time of my post, I did a search for Keywords "mental photography", "Search for ALL the terms", forum "Pick a card", "Search in Subject".

I got an extensive list of postings, few of which had "mental photography" in the Subject. It was a useless reply from the search.

Today, using the same parameters, I got a useful reply, just what I was looking for.

As for your reply, as you can see, I'm aware of how to use search engines. I felt "this isn't being done currently" because it didn't work at all yesterday. I tried multiple searches, the worst results being either an Explorer error msg page or a Magic Café "No records match that query. Please broaden your search" reply.

Also, not sure what you meant aobut a "subject" of "search". There is no "subject" field (I'm guessing you meant "Keywords") and I'm not sure why you'd enter "Search".

Anyhow, while yesterday multiple attempts yielded no gold, not even pyrite, today I did hit the jackpot. So, for now, I happily retract my critique.

And thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Steve H Smile Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5191 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Steve: I'm glad the search engine gave you what you wanted finally. My response was in no way accusitorial or meant in a derrogatory manner. I was just pointing out that there have been several postings concerning the search function and the comments have generally been favorable. You are correct, I meant that if you typed in "Search" in the keywords and selected all forums, the previous posts about the search engine would have been there and may have helped you. No damage done on either side. Suggestions are always welcome and we do our best to find solutions.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Searchable Database: any upgrade coming? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL