The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Stumbled Across A Rare Coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Maybe this is a common experience to you coin experts. I am putting together a collection of Morgan Dollars to add a touch of class in my coin routines. A fiend loans me a few of his Morgan Dollars to play with. As I explore a little about their dates, it turns out one of the coins he loaned me is an 1889 Morgan Silver Dollar that was minted in Carson City. Only 2% of all the Morgans made were minted in Carson City, and 1889 is one of the rarest years. This coin I've been fiddling with is worth some serious jack, even in its average condition. Magic is so much fun! And yes, I let my friend know that he is now at least $700 wealthier than he was before he loaned me that dollar! I think I have inspired him to explore his coin box a little closer... Has anyone else found a great coin?
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
It must have been fairly worn. An uncirculated MS-68(Very High Grade) 1889 CC sold for $529,000.00 in 2001.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Wow!!!

Mark. Smile
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I don't know a lot about how to appraise a coin. My best guess is that it is in the "fine" or "very fine" quality grade. The price I gave it may be very conservative. I know it's worth too much for me to be using it for coins across.

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd be giving them back fast since I wouldn't want the liability!

Mark.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I just received an over the phone appraisal for $2,300. Can you believe that?

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Also, make sure it's not a replica. Some of them are pretty well made.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
A Carson City Coin is rare, but it is also one of the most copied. Take it to a coin dealer and have them check it out for you.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I hope it's the real deal, that would be cool!
I received a book with all the half dollars from 1957 to present for my 50th B day and a friend was looking through it and got all excited when she stumbled across a double headed 1996! Well, you KNOW what it was so it's now replaced in the book and the dbl header is in my kit! LOL
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I remember that Mick.That was special!

rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Very cool Mickey. I hope it's the real deal also...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Only a real deal in a magicians box Tony but a darn well made one at that! LOL
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
I'm a numismatist (coin collector) myself and I know a bit about coins.

These three dates/mints are the most difficult to find and the most valuable of the entire Morgan series. This is mainly due to their low mintage figures.

1889-CC: 350,000
1893-S: 100,000
1895 Proof: 12,880
Of these, the 1895 Proof is one of the most valuable with a PF-65 (PR is proof, a special way of manufcaturing coins that gives them a mirror finish for collectors) coin worth $66,000 according to the 2007 Red Book. If they are only proofs, there are only 880 1895 Proof coins that have survived. This rarity has caused attempts to forge an 1895-P by removing a mintmark from an also rare 1895-O or 1895-S.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Hey StrangeTastingFishsticks,

Welcome to the Café. I know I'm diverting a bit from magic here, but since folks in this section love coins, maybe they won't mind. Thanks for the info. Let me clarify something. PR-65 means a special way of manufacturing the coin that produces a mirror finish. Is that right? Did they do that for years, other than 1895? I have a 1921 that appears to me to be mirrored. It really stands out from the others. Originally I thought it must have simply worn differently, but now that you mention the mirror finish, I think that might be what this is. Is that possible for 1921? And, are the mirrored finishes worth more than the normal finish? Thanks for the insight.

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 07:59, Tony Thomas wrote:
Hey StrangeTastingFishsticks,

Welcome to the Café. I know I'm diverting a bit from magic here, but since folks in this section love coins, maybe they won't mind. Thanks for the info. Let me clarify something. PR-65 means a special way of manufacturing the coin that produces a mirror finish. Is that right? Did they do that for years, other than 1895? I have a 1921 that appears to me to be mirrored. It really stands out from the others. Originally I thought it must have simply worn differently, but now that you mention the mirror finish, I think that might be what this is. Is that possible for 1921? And, are the mirrored finishes worth more than the normal finish? Thanks for the insight.

Many morgan dollars have PL or DMPL surfaces. PL is 'prooflike' and DMPL is a deeper mirror finish called 'deep mirror proof like'. 1921 was the last year for the morgan dollar. Proof coins are only made for collectors and are struck multiple times to get that mirror finish, so yes, they are worth more. Remember proof isn't the condition of the coin (like mint state or MS) but is rather the process they are manufactured.

Also, yes, many coins are made proof and in fact you can still buy proof coin mint sets directly from the mint.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
635 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
So, Tony, it has been a few days since you first posted: did you or your friend ever take the coin to a dealer and have it verified? How does this story end?
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I gave it back to the rightful owner on Wednesday evening at church. We joked about it for a while. He's trying to convice his wife for a new flatscreen tv and this coin may just be his ticket. I'm not sure if he is serious or not. I recommended that he take it to a dealer for verification. I'll be talking to him soon to find out if he has done so. Thanks for asking...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Stumbled Across A Rare Coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL