The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Daryl's Cross of India (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
NM
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of NM
This has become one of my favorites for walk around. At first, I did this on a table top only.
One day I tried it using the spectators two hands instead of the table. I was amazed at how much better the reaction was. It seemed awkward at first using their hands but works like a charm. I have never had anyone grab the coins. With a little verbal preparation they will keep their hands still. The reaction they give is similar to performing sponge balls. The magic fools them but it happening in their hands is true magic!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I used to do the routine as written. Then I moved into the Slydini "too many coins" and went to 6 then 4...then 1...using various methods...

Harris
saying 3 "Yo Yo Ma's"
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
What I like about Daryl's routine there was no extra coin in play, and it is very bold
His cross of india inspired my crossing the delaware.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I think that using the spectators' hands for the second of the transpos sounds awesome for breaking up the pattern at that point, and adding the 'you're holding them' aspect to the already disarming cleanliness and boldness.

However, I still want to fully explore the benefits of using a hard, loud table instead of the close up matte, and not only survive it, but actually improve BECAUSE of it's absence.

JF
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst I'm a big Daryl fan and think the handling to be clever its not for me personally, the main reason being that I prefer the magic to stay off the table when ever possible which is why I tend to perform my variation of Daryls 3 fly 111 when performing at tables and my variation of Jay Sankeys Mr clean coins across for walkaround.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I'm not big on using the tables either but they have their place. I prefer, like you, to be a bit more mobile and instantaneous. I like both Daryl and Sankey's effects. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I believe it is Reed Mc, who uses the stack idea but with a ccpper coin joining a stack of silver. The contrast makes a startling reveal.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
"However, you just don't hear much about it."
GOOD!

I use it as written. I've never had a problem with the boldness of the method, it as far as I'm aware... The fewer people who do this/know about it, the better.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I like this effect, too. Been doing it for years. And Paul Gertner has a similar effect in his book, but with a different method.
themechanic03
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of themechanic03
This effect is great and has its place. I have used large washers and performed this for a few mechanical engineers and it always goes over well.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks, Mechanic for the reminder about using washers.

I used to use them all the time. I called mine, "Brain Washers".

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
David Williamson's Cross Eyed Coins Across is based on The Cross of India.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2003-02-19 10:44, Platt wrote:
I saw this a long time ago on one of the Ammar tapes. It's pretty original and looks great. However, you just don't hear much about it. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this one.

Brian, even though the post is 9 years old, it's a great post and will help people new to the Café.

I learned it from the Minch book on Daryl's magic "Secrets of a "Puerto Rican Gambler".

I've know magicians that got Ammar's VHS where he taught it. They were fooled by the routine and when he tipped the work, they thought it wouldn't fool anyone. lol.

The crossing of the open hands, showing all the coins, creates like an optical illusion of sorts. It's is what makes this such a fooler. It's also very easy to perform because there are no extra coins, no friction passes, classic palms, etc. I taught it to my nice so she'd have a mini miracle while she worked on her classic palm. As expected, she did it better than me.. I should have taken up flower arranging as a hobby instead of magic.

I like using six coins. Then I'm sticking with the rule of three;-)
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have been doing this routine for years, sometimes with six coins, other times with eight. It has always been a 'strong reaction' effect.

I agree with what Curtis said on the previous page - the short essay on the psychology alone is very much worth the price, and then some! Years ago Darryl put this effect into a $3 or $4 manuscript and still sells it that way today if I am not mistaken, and that is where I originally learned it. It had two other effects in it as well - very good material!

Having said that, there are numerous ways to accomplish the redirection of attention or, misdirection as it were, in using the first move that are practically built in to the routine. I also like this routine because once you have gotten it down to its essence, just like the "Elbow, Knee and Neck" routine, there is not one single wasted move to be found.

Slightly off-topic: For those of you not familiar with it, "Elbow, Knee and Neck" is another classic Darryl effect. You should look into it - very economical and a great lesson in routining, especially where movement itself is concerned.
timmyjimmy
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of timmyjimmy
I love this effect. It is a real fooler (Dooler) <BR>I also like the thieves, sheep and the magician... the two can run side by side since you have 8 coins. Also, During the holidays you can use 8 of just about anything. olives, almonds etc. The palm is very easy and deceptive. <BR>I have performed this surrounded and it works every time. I also did it for some magic friends during a session, one guy was fooled so badly he asked me to do it again. I performed it in it's entirety for him and he never caught on. Granted, he was "green." But he also was slightly behind me on my left. <BR>I would like to spruce up the ending however. Although the empty space on the last coin across is cool, it is redundant. <BR>After performing this, it is easy to remove four of the coins and go into your favorite matrix, or coins across or? <BR>
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Currently, I use this often when performing close-up. I perform it as written and described in Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler. The patter and by-play with the spectators helps to cover the fact that the same technique is used each time. That's partly what makes this effect deceptive. This is not just a coins across effect using the same method each time. Daryl takes great pains to teach the psychology behind each coin's passage.

Although Michael Ammar does a nice job with a six coin version, I still prefer Daryl's eight coin version for the reasons noted above.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Great book.
I first heard about it at an early Desert Seminar in Vegas
Late 70's as I recall.

Steven's from Wichita put on a great convention.

I was only about 3 years into coin magic

Thanks for reviving old threads.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
This is a great effect and I have been performing it for many years. When I was teaching on Friday, I would have students come up around my desk to watch some
close-up, and this was the best. I would have 20 or more students crowded around my desk, some with the eyes down at eye level with my close-up pad. They would never catch a thing. If you can fool high school students over and over it is a pretty good test.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
This is a great effect and I have been performing it for many years. When I was teaching on Friday, I would have students come up around my desk to watch some
close-up, and this was the best. I would have 20 or more students crowded around my desk, some with the eyes down at eye level with my close-up pad. They would never catch a thing. If you can fool high school students over and over it is a pretty good test.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Daryl's Cross of India (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL