The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Teach spectator a trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
I would be interested to know what other magicians do when asked if you could teach spec a trick, at the moment I am using an idea of Jerry o'connell which is on his web site any ideas ?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There are some good "you do as I do" effects, if you just want to play with the spectator. Just when they think they have it, it goes ca-put and they realize they haven't learned anything at all. Be ready to run.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Magi51
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magi51
I like what Carl Andrews does.
I says sure I'll teach you, then he goes through a whole routine of finding a selected card that is full of flourishes and moves that are far too advanced for any layman. It is a magic trick also. By the end they realize it take more to be a magician...like practice.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Instead of angering and disappointing perspective clients, teach them something simple, such as the Age Cards, and give him a set with your business card on the back!
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
When I am asked to teach something I just tell them: "Sorry I can't its the magicians code!" That usually makes them laugh a bit.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
World's Greatest Magic had some simple tricks they taught the viewers....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
I only teach some simple tricks to people I know like friends or family.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I have taught people a few easy tricks when really got them into magic, but they quit, because it was too hard for them, they thought.
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Whenever I teach friends they jsut don't even try becuase they think its really hard. But I guess some tricks can be very hard to perform for them.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2007-11-17 13:51, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:
I have taught people a few easy tricks when really got them into magic, but they quit, because it was too hard for them, they thought.

Exactly.. Smile .. If they come back and show you a good job of what you teach them,
at least you know they are interested enough for another effect...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Yes, that's right. No one ever understands what it takes to learn a trick and perform it properly.
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Which is why I don't even bother teaching people things. Unless they are friends or family like I stated before.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2007-11-17 20:56, Art190 wrote:
Which is why I don't even bother teaching people things. Unless they are friends or family like I stated before.

Me too. I have had people BEG me to teach them something, and I have - only to see them butcher the trick in performance through lack of practice of even the most basic stuff. Now I very very seldom bother - though I like Scott's idea of the business card angle.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
I only teach self-working tricks to non-Magi. I don't expose any slights or major secrets that way. If they show continued interest I'll suggest a book or two. If we use the magician's code as an excuse to never teach at all wouldn’t the art surely die out?
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Ross Welford, that's true, teaching a spectator a trick can ruin it for the performer because they might not be able to do the trick so good and therefore accidently give the method away.
nairbles
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of nairbles
I try to teach them the charlier cut... so far they've been satisfied just trying to learn that. if they keep hounding you, tell them to buy royal road. that's what someone did for me and now I've got the bug!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
RE:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"World's Greatest Magic had some simple tricks they taught the viewers...."

That's still a sore point in some quarters, since some were not considered beginner's tricks at all (the Cut and Restored Handkerchief from The Art of Close Up Magic for example).

Re: "I have taught people a few easy tricks when really got them into magic, but they quit, because it was too hard for them, they thought."

Exactly!!! So really why bother exposing anything. Some people just have a hard time saying no, and one person's beginners trick may very well be in someone else's repertoire.

I think the best course of action is to politely refuse, magician's code and all, BUT recommend a good beginners book to them. If they truly wish to learn, then they will take the next step. Most people who ask don't want to learn magic, they simply want to know how something is done.

Paul.
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
That is a great idea Paul. If we recomend them a book and they actually go and buy it that tells us that they really are interested. THEN will I go and give them some tips/props.

Art
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Teach spectator a trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL