The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Gaffing coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Wesley James posted
Quote:
Gents,
Notwithstanding the fact that gaffing coins is illegal--though apparently not unethical because our purposes is just--the gaff being defended by those who haven't done their homework was originally marketed by Steve Duschek, long before Kohler, as "Slippery Sam," and the basic concept appears in "The Art of Magic."

The feke coins being offered by Magic Makers are almost certainly the non-silver replica coins that are fairly ubiquitous in some parts of Asia. These too are illegal, but no more illegal than gaffing real coins. I won't get into the controversy about the "flipper" that was either the invention of Phil Postma--based on an idea in Greater Magic--(manufactured by Eddie Tytlebaum) or Bob Swadling, and no mention of Jonathan Townsend (or Tommy Downs). My point is that in this case the ethical lines don't appear to be clear or consistent. If the set Magic Makers is offering are of poor quality, fault them as not being Ferrari, but not over incomplete knowledge of the history of the effect or the props.

Wesley James

Nice try, Wes. Gaffing coins is no longer illegal in the US, unless it is done for the purpose of fraud.

The original laws were passed to keep people from clipping gold and silver coins and making counterfeits out of them. Since 1964, when we went off the silver standard, that law has been rescinded.

Here is the text of the law:
http://www.lawforkids.org/speakup/view_question.cfm?id=407
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
So...does this mean Lassen and Schoolcraft can only make gaffs with coins such as half dollars and old silver dollars etc as they are no longer used in the country? Or have I just misunderstood that link?
Thanks
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Christopher, gaffing coins is not illegal as long as you are not attempting to defraud the government.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm still wondering where the idea for doing the display or using that sort of gaff can be found in The Art of Magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Gaffing coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL