The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My sleight of hand skills with sponge balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Hi everyone! I'm a sponge magician/street magician who also works on flourishes. I recently made a new sponge video and am looking for feedback on it. Here it is, I'd appreciate all feedback on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVHOrWdMkU

Not sure if you're supposed to post videos of you performences in this section. I've gotten different responses from it. I've been working on my sleight of hand for some time now. Some people told me my sleight of hand with sponges was excellet, others not so much. Please let me know what you think

Please also look at my other sponge videos. I have a yellow ball to red ball color change too on another video.

Thanks!
Kevin
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Nice enough moves. problem for me I was bored to tears, with the monotone presentation. id not refer to them as sponge balls, and esspecially so constantly, do you know what I mean?

try and make it exciting. not just heres ball.... now its gone... now its back...
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
My constructive criticism is to not use the vanishes at 13 seconds and 48 seconds. Keep in mind that just because you can do the move doesn't mean it's the move to do. I realize there are many vanishes, but I feel that these two are a bit unnatural in how the ball is "placed" in the hand.

Just my 2 cents since you asked.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 00:53, Terry Holley wrote:
My constructive criticism is to not use the vanishes at 13 seconds and 48 seconds. Keep in mind that just because you can do the move doesn't mean it's the move to do. I realize there are many vanishes, but I feel that these two are a bit unnatural in how the ball is "placed" in the hand.

Just my 2 cents since you asked.

Terry

Ok thanks. So don't do the wave vanish or the other vanish where the hand goes underneath the other hand. Was my retention vanish good?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2007-10-24 00:45, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Nice enough moves. problem for me I was bored to tears, with the monotone presentation. id not refer to them as sponge balls, and esspecially so constantly, do you know what I mean?

try and make it exciting. not just heres ball.... now its gone... now its back...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your feedback Joshua. I noticed that too after watching that. My dad told me as I was making it "Sound excited! You sound too bored." I'll have to try and work on that. Perhaps I should also not say what I'm going to do. For example, just say "watch" and then make the ball go through the pocket or travel to the other hand.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Hi everyone, here are my other sponge videos. They are a bit older though, and I don't think they are as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVHOrWdMkU

These 2 videos were made awhile ago. So they are different and I don't think as good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXQ9xtKTP2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvQ_06fwmj8
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well the first video is a nice start. The retention vanish really needs work to look more natural.

To just pull the 3rd sponge out of your pocket after you supposedly made it go through the pocket, well lets just say it becomes no mystery how it happened LOL. You kind of tip it off so I would re routine that part at least.

I have never seen the point of video in basements, for nobody, but whatever.

All and all a good start but practice a lot more. Oh and if you work for people ever you need to work on presentation.

Ok here comes the tip of the day!

Look at the video of how you place the ball in your hand. Then make the retention vanish look exactly like THAT. See my point? Either adjust one or the other, but make them identical. That is the right way to do it.

Also after you vanish the ball and have it in your thumb palm, you do what every beginning magician, and too many experienced guys do. The "vanishing thumb" trick.

Your thumb goes way out of sight and it is a HUGE tell. Watch the video and you will see.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 12:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well the first video is a nice start. The retention vanish really needs work to look more natural.

To just pull the 3rd sponge out of your pocket after you supposedly made it go through the pocket, well lets just say it becomes no mystery how it happened LOL. You kind of tip it off so I would re routine that part at least.

I have never seen the point of video in basements, for nobody, but whatever.

All and all a good start but practice a lot more. Oh and if you work for people ever you need to work on presentation.

Ok here comes the tip of the day!

Look at the video of how you place the ball in your hand. Then make the retention vanish look exactly like THAT. See my point? Either adjust one or the other, but make them identical. That is the right way to do it.

Also after you vanish the ball and have it in your thumb palm, you do what every beginning magician, and too many experienced guys do. The "vanishing thumb" trick.

Your thumb goes way out of sight and it is a HUGE tell. Watch the video and you will see.

Is my rentention vanish really that bad?
I thought it was decent.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As I said, look at how you put a ball in your hand, and look at the vanish.

IF they are different, then you are doing it wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 15:26, Dannydoyle wrote:
As I said, look at how you put a ball in your hand, and look at the vanish.

IF they are different, then you are doing it wrong.

OK thanks for your constructive critism . I recently bought Jay Noblezana's SPONGE, he teaches you how to do a good retention vanish in that so I'll practice my butt off to get it better.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Practice actually putting the ball in your hand using the same technique you use to do the vanish.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Hi everyone. I recently digged up Jay Noblezana's SPONGE DVD and used that rentention vanish in this new video. I show you the old way I did it, and the new rentention vanish. Let me know if its any better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMK71QcR7o
MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Yes, the 2nd retention vanish looked a little bit more convincing than the 1st one.

However, you still need work on the timing of the 2nd vanish. The audience is not suppose to see the middle and ring finger 'scoop' the ball BEFORE the hand that receives the ball closes. You need to time it so that when you are just a little less than half-way in completing closing-the-hand action, then you do the 'scooping' to retain the visual illusion of the ball 'retained' in the closing hand.

Hope this helps,
MDew
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
Go with the 2nd, with a bit more practice. Also there is no point in putting your hands on top of the sponges, (in YOUR routine). There should be a purpose for every move. AND, try to pick up the second sponge as if there is nothing in your hand.
Genuis@work

We're trying to adopt. Visit us HERE
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Referring to the first vid.
You're on the right track.

Too me, the patter was really bad. You said a lot of things like, "I have a sponge ball." or "I put the ball here." These actions are obvious to the audience.

I didn't care much for the wave as your hand was clenched.
Nor did I care for the crossing of hands or when you went directly to production from pocket after a vanish.
You did do a couple of nice retentions.
Overall, the routine needs to be more streamlined and perhaps shorter with more more entertaining patter.

Don't take all this too harshly. After all, they are just opinions.

Best to ya,
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
You mentioned in your last video showing the two vanishes that you learned most of this from Mark Wilsons book. I would highly recommend mastering his routine step by step and word for word. Then when you have that down use it as a guideline to build from. I have been performing professionally for 12 years and not once has that routine failed me, I use the basic outline of the routine and have incorporated some of my own bits of business.

Basically keep practicing! But you are working on it and it will come with the practice!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Fish sticks I recommend, looking at john carneys book carneycopia. that looks similar to the vanish john teaches however john talks about somthings that tell you why some things work ect ect. for a dvd david stone sponge routine in real secrets one, is very good. its not very long at all and flows nicely. its basiclly 2 productions some hand to hand travel then to a specs hand. I beleive that's all your really need. beyond that its just filler and becomes repetitive for the viewer

edit: the carney vanish is done without a "scoop".
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Is it good to practice the sleights in front of a mirror? Because another magician told me not to because 'your mind tunes out the mistakes and tricks you '

He said I should record it on video and just rewatch the video.

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 4:49pm
What level would you say my routine is? Beginner, intermediate?
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 16:49, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
What level would you say my rountine is? Beginner, intermediate?

Are you talking about sleights? What does it matter? Are you wanting to entertain laypeople or impress other magicians?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Beginner routine.
I only say this because it looks and sounds like one of early sponge routines.
There's a fine, invisible line somewhere between beginner and intermediate.

You know techniques and a bit about routining.
However, it's not all about the techniques as much as it is about presentation, routine structure and entertaining.

Read what sickmagic has to say above.
If, and as you do Wilson's routine, ask yourself why the routine is structured the way it is.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't become a "bliinker".

So many guys blink through the move so they miss it!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My sleight of hand skills with sponge balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL