The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Maximizing spectator amazement for a four-ace thingy. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Now I understand, we aren't talking about performing the effect as a mentalism effect, but as a sleight of hand effect.
a. Yes, this is the wrong forum for that
b. Performing this effect as a sleight of hand effect diminishes it's impact IMO. You don't have to go all out to 'sell' your psychic powers with this, but by refocussing the effect on the spectators you will help to build a relationship between them and the effect.

All just my opinion. To be honest, if the effect is already really working for you, don't change it. Besides which rapport and spectator response is about more than just how you present a single effect.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
McDonald Aces should work.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I see your point, and I have to say I'm with Phil on this one. If you do it as sleight of hand demo then the effect is pointless.

All I can add is don't reveal any of the cards until all 4 have been cut to. As for what I wrote 'letting the cat out of the bag early', well then modify it ('do you consciously know the positions of any of the cards in the pack? NO? Good. Cut the cards...'). Simple. They don't know what to expect, and it's all ON THEM. So the effect is about them, so they will be amazed. Usually.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Thanks for your input gentlemen.

Just to be clear ... I leave the participant to draw their own conclusions - which will either be 'oh, nice sleight of hand' or 'wow, magic' or 'what an amazing piece of luck'. I make it clear that they cut the cards themselves. I try to make it clear that they did all the magic. At no point is sleight of hand mentioned.

I apologize for the lack of clarity here. I'm making a bit of a pig's ear of this thread!

As mentioned, I think it's perhaps worth discussing here, because, after all, manipulating your particpant's perceptions, emotions and responses is what mentalism is all about, right?

Olly
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
We are happy to insist you Olly. No matter what the question is, let it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Maximizing spectator amazement for a four-ace thingy. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL