The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon Raise the Dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..35..41..47..53..59..61~62~63 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 01:19, gabelson wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 01:02, Timothy Drake wrote:

Regards creating Drama I think Angela Funovits had the audience the most on the edge of their seats. I can't stand to watch that effect because when it goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong. Her performance was great.

Best,

Tim

Personally, I would have liked the "celebrity" to decide in which base to place the knife.

Quote:
On 2007-11-01 01:19, gabelson wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 01:02, Timothy Drake wrote:

Regards creating Drama I think Angela Funovits had the audience the most on the edge of their seats. I can't stand to watch that effect because when it goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong. Her performance was great.

Best,

Tim

Personally, I would have liked the "celebrity" to decide in which base to place the knife.

that's what I was hoping for!

Mike
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Looking at the physicallity of the two combatants, Angel would be smart to shut his Yap Smile
Was Uri surprised at this?Why did he try to stop Angel? I would have let him march into his KARMA Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
human
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of human
The act was staged due to the bad rating of the first episode. That reallymakes sense to me.
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 02:04, human wrote:
The act was staged due to the bad rating of the first episode. That reallymakes sense to me.

Perhaps.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Well, well.
I don't know as much about this as you folks seem to know.
But I do know this...
If Jim tells me that the fight was not staged, then I can take it to the bank. (He hasn't told me ether way. Too busy Hollywooding.)
The fellow is good at publicity, but he has always shot straight with me.
I do not know if he will "out" Angel or not. He is probably weighing that now.
The argument for me is not if Jim actually channels a spirit. (I would argue with him that he does not.)
But I would not argue with him at a performance. That's just tacky.
I would also think it tacky/icky to expose angel at one of his performances.
I think, however, that there is something that we might consider. Both Jim and Angel make "claims" that are questioned by many magicians. I, personally, do not see how Jim's claims hurt the art. I do see how Angel's claims hurt the art.
In any event, I think I see Jim making it to a higher level in the business and I wish him the best.

Peace,
Parson

BTW: J ack, if you are reading this, PM me and let me know. I'm not speaking to Slim now as he sent a box to my house that is freaking me out. Something about a HooDoo.
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
It all looked staged to me. host-"criss, it seems that you are itching to say something", then he goes on his rant. and jim appeared to pull the host with him during the fight. need ratings?

it seems that Jim is a very nice person, and he did well on the show. I hope that this doesn't hurt his career.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It looked to me like Jim dragged the guy along to prevent him from flying off the catwalk. If you look just before Jim hooked his elbow, the host was off his feet and heading South. To me, it looked like Jim had a rush of adrenalin and then realized what happened, so he made sure that the host was OK by dragging him along.

I did notice that the press has twisted the story just a bit. Hopefully that will get ironed out real quick.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 02:13, Parson Smith wrote:

But I do know this...
If Jim tells me that the fight was not staged, then I can take it to the bank.
The fellow is good at publicity, but he has always shot straight with me.

Peace,
Parson

Hello Parson,

I respect Jim for how he handles the " believe it or not" aspect of what he does. He's being as straight as he can without bursting the act.

If he comes on here and is willing to swear on a family members life that it wasn't set up then I will quit questioning it. Its fair game until then. If we get anything other than that ... including ... I'm legally bound not to discuss it.. the I will continue to say...FAKE! LOL

Is it ok for me to say fake and still wish him all the success this will bring him? I really do.

Best,

Tim
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
No matter how you feel about the contestants, and whether you're an Angel fan (personally, I'm a Dodgers fan) or a Callahan fan, it's hard to dispute the fact that BY FAR the most compelling moment of the show was the confrontation between Jim and Criss. THAT was "must-see TV". Sure, the audience was holding their collective breath watching Angela Funovits do the Smash and Stab, but hey, you wouldn't want to see Rosie O'Donnell get skewered. -Ok, scratch that. I believe the format of the show IS inherantly boring for the simple fact that to be truly invested in a mentalism performance, you have to get to know the performer. SOMEWHAT. Otherwise it's simply a demonstration. It's the same thing I found lacking in Derren Brown's US show, and I'm a huge fan of Derren's. Taking all that into account, Jim brought the one missing element to the show- drama. Real, unreal, right, wrong, it doesn't matter. Ultimately, it's the only part of the show that people will be talking about. He's the only one there who seems to understand the meaning of "water cooler conversation", and THAT'S the way you're remembered.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
The fight was not staged. It only makes Jim look bad and Criss has nothing to gain from it. If it was staged I don't think Angel would of challenged Uri either.

I'm glad Criss did challenge Jim. Jim is a fraud and a liar.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I have a new idea for a tv show that would blend the sensational talent of "Dancing with the Stars" with the breathtaking showmanship and utter Oscar winning acting talent of "Phenomenon".

I shall call it: "Wizard Boogie - America's Magic Magma". It will involve pairings of magicians and paranormalists. They will then involve themselves in a dance contest where they must dance to 1980's new wave whilst simultaneously performing their greatest magical and paranormal talents.

The first show will feature a dance with performance pair Criss Angel and Jim Callahan. Criss will dance bound in straightjacket whilst Jim, surrounded by Saltine crackers, guesses how many Tonka Trucks are stuffed in Shandi Finnessey's bikini top (with the paranormal help of his dead assistant Raymond of course).

The musical selection will be Cindi Lauper's "Time After Time". Half way through the song Criss will get upset with Jim for actually having paranormal powers, but unable to use them to get Criss more bookings on A&E. In the end guest judges Siegfreid and Rosie O'Donnell give the pair two thumbs up. Stay tuned!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 02:24, Robert Apodaca wrote:
The fight was not staged. It only makes Jim look bad and Criss has nothing to gain from it. If it was staged I don't think Angel would of challenged Uri either.

I'm glad Criss did challenge Jim. Jim is a fraud and a liar.

The Uri involvement means nothing. A good magician will toss in a "convincer" to solidify the act. that's the case here in my opinion.

Yes Jim is a fraud and a liar. (but a good one) We ALL are. Magic isn't real. Jim did not cross the line and say point blank he is real. He told a story like we all do in setting up the act but when he was asked directly... he said it was up to each individual to think for themselves. What more can you ask? Can you expect him to say..." Nah...its all fake?" I think not if he wants to work next week.

Best,

Tim
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Tim,
I think that it is more than fair for you to think that the fight was staged.
I think that it very well could have been.
I don't know.
What I do know, is aside from what the troller said, Jim has always been honest with me.
He may in fact be a "fraud and a liar," but he just hasn't shown me that side of his character.
Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Again, how many other performers are being discussed? What other routines are being mentioned? Are ANY routines being talked about?

Jim and Criss. Drama. Staged, unstaged, does it matter? In this industry, you must find a way to separate yourself from the rest of the pack. Well done, Jim.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Gabelson,
How did you get tickets?
Will you buy me a plane ticket and let me go with you next week?
I'll teach you how to read minds.
Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
It was not staged.

And it was not a fight but rather a heated confrontation.

I almost did pitch Tim (The host) into the audeance and held him to prevent him from being injured as I saw he would have gone over the edge of the stage.

Sorry I cannot post more right now but thought I should clear this bit up right now.

Best Wishes,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Parson,

Just to clarify. When I admitted he was a fraud and I liar I meant it in a defensive way. We are performers who use lies and fraud to create wonder. Any great actor is a fraud and liar as well. Fooling people is our job.

Regards his integrity.. I respect him. If he swears on a family members life its not staged I'll believe him. Honestly... I expect him not to. I think he should simply say the same thing...." It up to each person to make his own decision"

Isn't it more fun that way? I know it is for me.

Best,

Tim
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Good show, Jim.
+++a posse ad esse+++
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Thanks Parson.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Patrick Redford is lurking around here.
Would love to hear his input.

Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon Raise the Dead (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..35..41..47..53..59..61~62~63 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL