The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Seeing is Believing, So where is Mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
On paper, that is in book form, Mentalism sounds deep, powerful, unbelievable! The philosophy of the whole thing from Annemmann, to Maven, seems brilliant. BUT... in the real world its just seems plain boring, trivial, and obvious at times. I love the idea of mentalism, but for every thousand comments on this forum about how strong and profound it is, or can be, I can;t find a single act, performance, or "trick" on youtube, good video, or any other video site where these things should be. Tons of people are doing mentalism, reading mentalism, working mentalism,so where's the evidence of its existance. Is it because its boring to watch. I realize mentalism is an intimate thing, that its power stems from the personal side of the spectator, but come on, anything would be nice to see. I would love to see video, or visual examples of mentalism. The internet is amazing, it is capapble of featuring acts, performances, and moments that would be rare for an average person to experience in a lifetime. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE ITS ALL TALK TO ME. don't get me wrong, I understand there are more resources now than ever before and that I can watch every Derren Brown episode with a click of the mouse, but I'm not interested in what I can doing with a casting crew and a brillant team of magicians. I want to see this stuff in action. I would love if some of you posted some classic effects or favorites, simply so I can see them in real life. I just need to see a little to believe. Is there any footage of Larry Becker, Max Maven, Bob Cassidy, Annemann, your neighbor, whoever, performing mentalism I can get a hold of. Thanks
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Not sure why you're so dismissive of Derren Brown.

Are you saying that what he does is based upon a "casting crew" (whatever that is?) and a "brilliant team of magicians"? If so, you're spectacularly mistaken.

A lot of what Derren does is based upon classic mentalism, examples of which you're asking to see. Have you seen the videos of his live performances?

Almost all of DB's routines and performances are devised by Derren and Andy Nyman alone, and are based upon classic concepts of Mentalism.

Take another look.

- entity
Vinzent
View Profile
New user
París, France
98 Posts

Profile of Vinzent
I'm with entity.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I hear there's a guy on youtube who has a pretty decent show and isn't done with a production crew and a crew of magicians either.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
I'd have to agree with Entity, Derren has achieved some wonderful reactions on television that highlight the moment that mentalism can create. He has also made some very fine television with no CGI, stooges or an army of advisors..

Gerry McCambridge was quite successful with his special which had a lovely PK touch routine along with other nice moments.. I actually think television producers like the big bang for their buck, if you say you are going to make the moon dissapear they can 'get' that, if you talk about mentalism and mind reading I think they find it harder to visualise..

David Berglas and Canasta had their own shows way back when and were both very successful with primetime slots and high ratings..

As I mentioned on another thread most arts have their Masters but also an aweful lot of pretenders..

Just my two cents

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
If seeing is believing then are all blind people skeptics?

It seems, Mr. Crebar, that you have already decided that mentalism is boring to watch, by asking 'is it because it is boring to watch?'.
Herein lies the problem. It is not boring to watch, it is just more intellectual than other forms of magic that are more visual. It requires more thought, as it is a more intangible art-form that is 'felt' by the participants and hopefully the audience.

Maybe it just isn't for YOU.

And by the way, like others have said, check out Derren's 'Messiah', 'Something wicked this way comes' and 'The gathering'. These are all excellent examples of what you are looking for, particularly the last 2 as they are live stage shows (that I went to).

And look for Patrick G. Redford on Youtube as well. He is awesome.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Mr.Crebar, it is probably you are not looking in the right places. Because the experts want to keep it packed up and gift wrapped nice and fresh. We don't want it to drippy all over the place. The non-professionals are the ones who would not mind letting it hang all out, those are ones you must be watching because they do not know what they are doing.

In order to enjoy mentalism you must enter both doors to our house. The first door is light and will be able to open with ease. A lot of people enter the first door on a regular basis. They think they are seeing everything dealing with mentalism. But they are not, everything seems boring to them. The second door is very heavy to open. We always keep it unlocked. But because of the force needed to swing open the second door, most people just give up and leave our house going back out the first door missing the fun in mentalism.

I know about this because I left the house not opening the second door when I was in my teens. I made it through the first door by buyng a mentalist set. It seemed boring to me because I gave up trying to push open the second door. So I stayed with magic tricks. After I saw Max Maven perform last year it gave me the clue there was something very interesting on the other side of the second door. So I gave it another try. It took me a lot of force. But when I got it open, I saw a paradise. I always regreted I did not open the second door when I was in my teens.

So remember, we always keep our doors unlocked. But you must enter thru both doors on your own.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
For.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Mr.Crebar check out Tim Conover's site for some clips to view. I find none of it boring myself.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Can't stand Tim Conover's persona (too nice & corporate for me). Check out Derren's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" live show (I found a DVD of it). No camera stuff, some real foolers, charming, laughs, etc.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
Mr.Crebar your completely correct, I couldn't agree more = ).

I'm a prime example of what your saying.. I don't deny it. its completely true Smile

wish I could say more and explain, but I feel I would be exposing, both methods and my own personal mentalism style.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Mr Crebar, Have you not seen Kreskin perform? To see him is to get glimses of Dunninger and Polgar...His Q & A..or more accurately "Tuning in on the thoughts of my audience" is mentalism in it's classic sense and drama. Watching the audience reactions will tell you they experience it as anything but boring... If you still view it as 'boring'..I would suggest you are viewing through the eyes of a magician...
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Mr. Crebar, if you don't like mentalism, if you don't find it as entertaining as magic, etc... then don't do it. Stay away!!! Please!!! I beg you!!! Keep doing cards and coins and sponges... the audiences love it. Please, please, there's nothing good in this stupid field.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
I bet mentalism plays much better in person such as trade shows, colleges, corporations, and other businesses where the dollar amount in higher but not so prestigious as TV.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-27 03:03, Mr.Crebar wrote:
IT JUST SEEMS LIKE ITS ALL TALK TO ME.

Ironic that you said that in your initial post.

It's all happening in each participant's mind's eye...

The impact is from the personal experience each individual feels.

The way I "know" that I've performed mentalism well is by audience feedback, collectively and individually.

I don't believe all of that can be captured by video.
:cyclops:
Arnon
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
The problem is that the answer lies somewhere in between.

If you watch a guy speak for half an hour, you might think he is boring.
It depends.

Listen to this guy talk about spaghetti sauce for half an hour--
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/20

Unforgettable.

Or listen to this guy talk about
sliced bread and other marketing delights--

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/28

Also unforgettable.

Ours is a non visual medium, we rely a lot on speaking.
It is similar to this.
We need to be unforgettable without a lot of tricks.

That's the crux of the matter.
Most people are not good performers.
Most people come from a magic background, not as speakers.
You need to be able to speak and be interesting.

So your criteria should be-- Who is the best in this field?
Who is making $ in this field?

The next point is that the "set-up" or preparation
in mentalism routines is boring.

Setting up the 3 envelopes in Cassidy's routine needs banter and
"charisma" that is fine live but will be boring on video.
That is the nature of video.
Attention span has decreased.
Visual stimuli particularly.

That's the next point.
Video and TV bear no relation to live performance.
Don't judge what makes good viewing as to what makes good live show.

Case in point is Derren Brown--
He is a master of TV.
Let's be honest and get real...much of his stuff is designed for this medium.
The Advertising Executive performance had a segment where the END was played in the FRONT of the performance piece.

His Paper, Rock and Scissors had the spectator(s) following/copying his last move 14 times in a row. And this is just from memory.

The HEIST was a massive gaff.
His live performances "cut out" his peek on video.
Taking nothing away from Derren, IMO he is the best performer out there (on TV)
Nobody is even close in second place.

But if you want to work a gig and film an exciting piece,
understand what you are dealing with with.
I just edited a 40 minute performance down to 6 minutes for my promo.
I looked at the show and thought it was boring too.

The medium doesn't support non visual performance
unless you can talk without doing tricks and people find you interesting.
That's the bottom line.

Another point is that all rules can be broken because there ARE MANY MARKETS.
A performer in one market can do something that can't be done in another market.
The speaker market is different to the tradeshow market which is different to the college market wich is different to....
any other market you can think of.

Finally, what you judge to be boring is irrelevant.
Only the opinion of laypeople count.

Having said that, try to figure out why Marc Salem is the most successful all round mentalist of the last ten years. Or why Gary Kurtz can create full house evening theatre shows.

Look at people that LAYMEN talk about.
Not your opinion.
Time to think like a layman again.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2007-12-20 00:18, Greg Arce wrote:
Mr. Crebar, if you don't like mentalism, if you don't find it as entertaining as magic, etc... then don't do it. Stay away!!! Please!!! I beg you!!! Keep doing cards and coins and sponges... the audiences love it. Please, please, there's nothing good in this stupid field.

Greg

For
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 04:00, ThomasBerger wrote:
The problem is that the answer lies somewhere in between.

If you watch a guy speak for half an hour, you might think he is boring.
It depends.

Listen to this guy talk about spaghetti sauce for half an hour--
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/20

Unforgettable.

Or listen to this guy talk about
sliced bread and other marketing delights--

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/28

Also unforgettable.

Ours is a non visual medium, we rely a lot on speaking.
It is similar to this.
We need to be unforgettable without a lot of tricks.

That's the crux of the matter.
Most people are not good performers.
Most people come from a magic background, not as speakers.
You need to be able to speak and be interesting.

So your criteria should be-- Who is the best in this field?
Who is making $ in this field?

The next point is that the "set-up" or preparation
in mentalism routines is boring.

Setting up the 3 envelopes in Cassidy's routine needs banter and
"charisma" that is fine live but will be boring on video.
That is the nature of video.
Attention span has decreased.
Visual stimuli particularly.

That's the next point.
Video and TV bear no relation to live performance.
Don't judge what makes good viewing as to what makes good live show.

Case in point is Derren Brown--
He is a master of TV.
Let's be honest and get real...much of his stuff is designed for this medium.
The Advertising Executive performance had a segment where the END was played in the FRONT of the performance piece.

His Paper, Rock and Scissors had the spectator(s) following/copying his last move 14 times in a row. And this is just from memory.

The HEIST was a massive gaff.
His live performances "cut out" his peek on video.
Taking nothing away from Derren, IMO he is the best performer out there (on TV)
Nobody is even close in second place.

But if you want to work a gig and film an exciting piece,
understand what you are dealing with with.
I just edited a 40 minute performance down to 6 minutes for my promo.
I looked at the show and thought it was boring too.

The medium doesn't support non visual performance
unless you can talk without doing tricks and people find you interesting.
That's the bottom line.

Another point is that all rules can be broken because there ARE MANY MARKETS.
A performer in one market can do something that can't be done in another market.
The speaker market is different to the tradeshow market which is different to the college market wich is different to....
any other market you can think of.

Finally, what you judge to be boring is irrelevant.
Only the opinion of laypeople count.

Having said that, try to figure out why Marc Salem is the most successful all round mentalist of the last ten years. Or why Gary Kurtz can create full house evening theatre shows.

Look at people that LAYMEN talk about.
Not your opinion.
Time to think like a layman again.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom

Great post Thomas!
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
Well said Looch! I am not a pro when it comes to mentalism, but I do come from a performance background and appering in front of an audience. IMO I believe no matter what art form we practise the important point is to remember that we are all "ENTERTAINERS"!
Good on you Looch!
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
Well said Looch! I am not a pro when it comes to mentalism, but I do come from a performance background and appearing in front of an audience. IMO I believe no matter what art form we practise the important point is to remember that we are all "ENTERTAINERS" so many called performers in all art forms forget this. You either have it or you haven't! Wise words Looch!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Seeing is Believing, So where is Mentalism? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL