We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..13..17..21..25..29~30~31 [Next]
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
Tenyo's Blue Crystal
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I also vote for Reality Twister...

People won't actually believe that it twisted unless you give it 200% presentation skills, and even then it's based on an optical illusion...sigh.

I understand that with presentation you can make it seem like a miracle, you could do the same thing with a natural body response like getting people's forefingers to stick together when held out (Knepper suggest this in OnlineVisions).

But why would you want to? if you take those same presentation skills, same effort and personality that it takes to show them Reality Twister, and put it towards a GOOD effect, it will be that much stronger.

Unless for the last 5 years you have been thinking, "Man, I wish I had an optical illusion that turned out to actually happen on a pen," your time would be better spent elsewhere for an effect.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
I almost bought the Blue Crystal!

Thank God...
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Someone said Sankey tricks are very bad. I don't think they are really all that bad, he just writes the effects up. When I got Snowstorm I was very disappointed at the reactions it got until I reworked his handling so the spectator shakes the globe. If I would have seen SnowStorm in a book I would have been very happy with it.

I agree though regarding Public Transit. I think Sankey can put out whatever he wants. That was such a horrible trick.

Again, the hype ruined RT by Paul Harris. If their was no hype, I think it would be more successful.

Lee
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-02-28 08:38, Alessandro Scotti wrote:
Tenyo's Blue Crystal

This is a GREAT optical illusion. I think it is a great thing to show people when they come over to the house. Would I use this in a show? No, but I do not think it (along with Reality Twister, which is a WONDERFUL trick) is a BAD trick. Smile
lewis
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of lewis
I agree dpe666

Blue Crystal is amazing, and Reality Twister is unreal!

Lewis. Smile
JustAnotherMagi
View Profile
New user
Oak Canyon
79 Posts

Profile of JustAnotherMagi
Quote:
On 2003-02-28 09:50, pyro_magic wrote:
Someone said Sankey tricks are very bad. I don't think they are really all that bad, he just writes the effects up. When I got Snowstorm I was very disappointed at the reactions it got until I reworked his handling so the spectator shakes the globe. If I would have seen SnowStorm in a book I would have been very happy with it.

I agree though regarding Public Transit. I think Sankey can put out whatever he wants. That was such a horrible trick.

Again, the hype ruined RT by Paul Harris. If their was no hype, I think it would be more successful.

Lee

Sankey is a great magician! I would have to agree his marketed effects are not really super. Some of them are pretty good though. His good magic is in his book and videos.
"I am the best magician ever..."
-The Conceited Part of My Mind
kreme
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of kreme
bar code
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1993 Posts

Profile of Titanas
shameless open prediction 2,Ring in Rose and killer cockroach
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
These threads always go the same way:

Someone says that a trick is junk, then someone else says the same trick is fantastic!

The real question here is, "how do i avoid being ripped off by the ad hype?"
WARNING: Seamonkeys are brine shrimp!

My advice would be to not buy any effect unless you clearly understand it's limitations.

My latest "worst trick purchased" is probably the McAbee Rings from Martin Lewis. The rings themselves are absolutely beautiful (I got the Paul Riser ones) and I watched the video clip online over and over again before buying, so I thought I understood what I was getting. Then when I got them I found out that the included routine required lapping to end "clean". LAPPING!?! What kind of real world work is there where you can get away with lapping??
To be fair, I know it's possible to develop a routine that overcomes this, but the video demo is VERY deceptive, in fact, you can not do what Martin does in the online demo without something extra.
These are a popular item, and very well made. But a buying mistake for me.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-02-21 01:37, Peter Loughran wrote:
I used to buy lots of Tenyo stuff, not to perform, but just to simply play with and maybe show my friends and family.

I mean, let's face it ,most of their stuff looks like toys and in some cases it can be hard to present these plastic toy-like tricks in a true professional performance.

However, I love the brilliant thinking and innovation that go into some of these little close up tricks. I just love playing with their stuff and always will.

I mean, sometimes I wonder what these guys are smokin' in order to come up with half of the stuff they do.....

Oh well.

P.

Peter,

In the above post, you stated: "I mean, sometimes I wonder what these guys are smokin' in order to come up with half of the stuff they do..... ". Careful!!

I seem to recall that, in answer to another post (regarding how to join plexiglass) you freely admitted that you used to use ether because you had a lot of that around.

Is there any correlation between the "ether connection" and your brilliantly designed Elevator? And just when did glue sniffing reach its pinnacle of popularity?

Just wonderin'..........

Turk

P.S. Have you finalized your Elevator Handbook yet? That's the only thing making me hold off before purchasing an Elevator. I just want to be certain I get the "complete" goodies.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
sanskara
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
59 Posts

Profile of sanskara
I guess it really is just a matter of taste. I've used both Thought Transmitter and Lethal Tender and killed lay people.

Thought Transmitter could certainly be improved by somehow limiting through design where someone actually scribbles their number. And if Johnson made Lethal Tender, the pieces would be of higher quality and usable in a more advanced lengthened effect with several phases.

But the products themselves definitely have merit, provided you can work around their limitations and give a good presentation--and that's what magic's all about, folks.
Regards,
James Bostwick
RawVoodoo
View Profile
New user
ohio
62 Posts

Profile of RawVoodoo
Coin Matrix 2003 ....I really wish I had seen this site before I bought that crap. I did it in a really dim room and they guy just looked at me like.....ummmmm riiiight.

Switch-a-roo.... gee whats that HUGE bulge in your pocket?

and finally some watch.... kinda prediction thing where the whole trick revolved around "pushing the knob in before you hand them the watch" like anyone doesn't know how to set a watch. I complained so loud I actually got a refund on that one.
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
Bob King's Bomb Scare. Actually almost anything by Bob.
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I think coin matrix 2003 was worth it just to see a new approach, even if its not immediately workable, its still worth examining.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
745 Posts

Profile of chappelly
'FLIP'. I got it on sale for $1-00.When it came out it retailed for $15-00.I still consider I paid too much for it.

Chappelly
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Turk... Smile

We actually use rivits and custom made alluminum metal extrusion to build our plexiglas boxes for our Poltergeist Illusion.

However maybe weird thinking does come from all the fumes from the painting that is done in our shop and in the studio... Smile

If I suddenly stop inventing magic then perhaps it will be because we invested in a better ventalation system... Smile

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Ian_B
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Ian_B
I have to say Invisible Eye... I can't believe I payed $50 for this.

This is one of the most informative and useful thread ever.

Keep it up guys.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2003-03-29 23:17, johnr733 wrote:
Bob King's Bomb Scare. Actually almost anything by Bob.

"Bomb Scare" I don't recall, but to suggest "almost anything by Bob" is ridiculous. He has put out some good stuff, "Big Mac" for one, his breather crimp booklets, ungaffed "Sidewalk Shuffle" etc. and gives an excellent lecture.

His "Flushtration" was VERY MUCH like NFW, but came out LONG before.

Paul.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Float (JB magic) and Alida
How can anyone forget these two names Smile
The Worst of all kind of tricks.

I just bought the float and I wanted to throw
it in the bin before I came back home.
(I nearly did)

Alida is useful if you buy two of them
(if you know what I mean)

A very expensive set of E** P***S Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..13..17..21..25..29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL