We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..29~30~31 [Next]
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Keep the thread going Smile

Add two more item to the worst tricks

Bleached & Four Gone ,

Both items by Peter Duffie .

Smile
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
685 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I really didn't like Impossible Twist from JB Magic at all really. Guy Hollingworth's version is MUCH, MUCH better, and in some ways easier too.

Didn't care much for ACME Portable Hole either, for that matter. Another case of an effect looking much better on video, than in actual performance.

Iain.
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
Lian,

I agree with you,I also don't like Impossible Twist from JB Magic .

Impossible Twist from JB Magic is the worst trick in my drawer.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
928 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Topsy - HAVE to disagree with you about 'Bleached' - on the contrary I think it's an absolute stunner. Gets superb reactions. You sure you read the instructions right ?!

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
jbadman,

There are already heaps full of packet tricks around , Bleached might not be the best of em ,

O well, its just me Smile
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Profile of Devils Advocaat
Quote:
On 2003-06-01 21:46, Nick23 wrote:
Its interesting that no one has mentioned a book or video... It just proves what better value they are.

...How about 'Pure Effect' then? Pure garbage more like. Nothing of any interest whatsoever here. And while I'm at it, 13 Steps. Yes, you read that correctly. It was dated when I bought my first copy (1985) and it's even more dated now.

Frank. Smile
"My Karma ran over my Dogma..."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17062 Posts

Profile of joseph
Just think about how many more magicians would have been burnt, broke, and angry, after purchasing the above mentioned tricks, if it hadn't been for on line demos, the internet, and great websites like this? Scary..... Smile Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Joseph,

it work TWO ways ,

Magicians LOVE this thread,

Dealers HATE this thread Smile

:bigdance: Smile
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Actually, all the things you just listed are the cause of the problem, not just its solution.

Before online demos, websites, and the internet you had to go to a magic shop to buy your supplies. There you saw a live demonstration and could actually receive feedback about the item from someone who knew you and your skill levels.

Of course there were mail order houses, but even then the items they carried were the ones which sold successfuly in live demos as well as the catalog print. Further, you had a relationship with your mail order dealer who learned your taste as well as your skill level.

Today the internet has produced a plethora of would be magicians all eager to make a buck with their latest and greatest offering. This has lead to some fabulous young stars, as well as derivitave hacks.

Yes, it is great that we have a forum in which honest opinions can be exchanged. And yes these forums do save us all some dough. But if it weren't for the readily available access of information, and the anonymous marketing and sales channels of the 21st Century, most of these problems would be moot.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Quote:
On 2003-06-14 16:30, Topsy wrote:
Joseph,

it work TWO ways ,

Magicians LOVE this thread,

Dealers HATE this thread Smile

:bigdance: Smile

This statement is probably TRUE for the most part. However, I think I would be considered a Dealer/Manufacturer and I LOVE this forum. It gives me an opportunity to "pitch" and idea in Beta-Test form then decide if it is worthy of release. Unfortunatley, this is what seperates me and other Creators from the pack who are out just to make the quick buck. Personally, I want to be remembered for the Quality and Originality I have added to the world of Magic rather than the the amount of Money I stuffed into my bank account.
Long live Freedom of Opinion and Honesty in Advertising.
I am not sure if I posted, earlier, the Worst Trick I have ever purchased...hmmm..propbably 95% of the junk I bought in the 80's. Too much to list and they all stunk so bad that I can't list just one.
Take care,
Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I have to agree with Frank and say that Pure Effect was the most expensive multi-leaf pad of toilet paper I ever bought.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2842 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Frank and Billy,

Just curious, are either of you mentalists?

Bill
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Devil's Advocaat wrote:

"How about 'Pure Effect' then? Pure garbage more like. Nothing of any interest whatsoever here. And while I'm at it, 13 Steps." Smile

What don't you like about them? These two books have given me more information than the rest of my collection! I don't understand, 13 steps gives you just that, 13 steps to becoming a proficient mentalist. And Pure Effect is self-explanatory, a book which focuses on the Effect and how to give your spectators something special.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On 2003-05-22 03:21, tdowell wrote:
Coin Matrix 2003
("oh don't worry about those, that's just some spare close up pad patches, just in case I burn it with my cigarette")

That is truly funny. I laughed out loud. Thanks for the good tag Smile
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
389 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Also I must say that one of the worst tricks I ordered is Peter Marvey Card thru Window...
But ring flight 204 is first. Smile Smile
mafedi
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of mafedi
ring flight, no doubt at all
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
389 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
As everyone can see most people doesn´t like flight 204.
Iam being persistant with this to say: Save your money. Smile
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I think what Devil's Advocaat said about these books is unfare, personally i would never perform any of the tricks mentioned in Pure Effect (except one), but what about the parts about the Velvet Turnover (which i now in my Ambitious Card routine).
The routine i mentioned above as being the one i do perform from it is Zamiels Card, actually i lie, i perform Zamiel's Rose which is shown on The Devils Picture Book, i found the book of great assistance when learning the Figaro Transfer.

I also have a copy of 13 Steps which although harldy one of my favourites contains some very good magic. The chapter on billets is great and some of the routines are worth performing.

My personal dislike is Pop-N-Corn by Kevin James.
I am sure that many of you will disagree with this choice, and it is not that it is not a good trick, but i can't imagine my self ever using it.
The Exhaustible sponge on the other hand is a brilliant trick it's just a shame it is so expensive for what you get.
Smile Smile Owen Smile Smile
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Profile of Devils Advocaat
Quote:
On 2003-06-15 06:53, Bill Cushman wrote:
Frank and Billy,

Just curious, are either of you mentalists?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I can't vouch for Billy, but I've been mental for many years now. No, honest. I do have a strong leaning towards 'mentalism' but found the 'Pure Effect' book to be somewhat lacking. I think it was grossly miss-touted in fact. A bit like 'The Paul Daniels' Big Book of Comedy Magic'. Smile

Frank. Smile

Quote:
On 2003-06-15 12:22, owen.daniel wrote:
I think what Devil's Advocaat said about these books is unfair, personally I would never perform any of the tricks mentioned in Pure Effect (except one)...

Riiiiiight. So, you, er, think my view was unfair and yet you seem to agree... Smile

Frank. Smile

Quote:
On 2003-06-15 07:04, mike stevenson wrote:

What don't you like about them? These two books have given me more information than the rest of my collection! I don't understand, 13 steps gives you just that, 13 steps to becoming a proficient mentalist. And Pure Effect is self-explanatory, a book which focuses on the Effect and how to give your spectators something special.

My main dislike, if you will, with '13 Steps' is that it needs updating drastically. Or just 'modernising' it would do. A few photos instead of those old, old line drawings maybe?

Frank. Smile
"My Karma ran over my Dogma..."
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2842 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Frank,

What I found so valuable about Pure Effectw were the essays, not the effects per se. The first 50 pages were full of valuable information that can radically alter how we view and subsequently perform mentalism (and magic for that matter as well, but let's stay with mentalism).

Then, in Part Three, the chapter on Invisible Compromise and, especially, "You Are Supposed To Be Reading Minds," were among the most thought provoking and stimulating material I've ever read on mentalism. Totally unique.

Not to say that other authors don't provide good information but Brown's ideas are radical and that is something our field can always benefit from. I know I can and did.

We have more than enough effects and while I can be just as guilty as the next guy to falling prey to what Eugene Burger aptly refers to as "the tyranny of the new," my best efforts are spent improving what I already have and creating innovative and gripping routines. Even when I didn't agree with Brown's answers, his questions are the ones most in need of asking. They led me to my own answers and that is, to coin a phrase, "priceless."

You say it was mistouted. I don't even recall how it was advertised other than I was told that it would change the way I looked at performing. And that is just what I have experienced. Pure Effect addresses the big questions. There are other fine books of effects and great books that focus on routining and other aspects of theory. But few, if any, quite like Pure Effect. I can't help but wonder if the advertising led you to believe that after reading it, you would know all the secrets to Brown's effects and feel it was mistouted because that was not the emphasis. The emphasis was how to transform your performances at a far deeper level than can be achieved by learning the latest hot trick.

Now for Corinda. If you simply want tricks, again, this isn't what 13 steps is about, though many excellent ones are there. It covers, in depth, the techniques you need to know to perform mentalism. It gathers in one book the basics that so much of our art is based on. In this way it provides a foundation on which to build as well as a reference source to return to when you decide to tackle a new skill.

I have an extensive library on mentalism. Even so,there is material I've only seen mentioned as asides in other books that have entire chapters devoted to them in 13 Steps.

You say your main complaint is that it needs updating or modernizing and that you would like the "old,old line drawings" replaced with photos. This is a book that is mainly text, there aren't even that many illustrations in the first place! And the ones that are there, though old, are high quality.

You say you have a, "strong leaning towards 'mentalism'" Why the quotes? That usually suggests that the author intends a different meaning than is commonly accepted. I'm not putting you down at all, so please don't interpret this or the above as criticism, but I get a sense that what you describe as mentalism is more akin to what mentalists call mental magic. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.

If you want to move from leaning to diving full in, re-read both of these books. They both have so much to offer that I can't help but feel you will be missing so much if you so easily dismiss them.

With Good Thoughts,

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL