The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..29~30~31 [Next]
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Thought I'd vent as well:)

Afterburn-flaming business card

King Rising-levitation

Matrix 2003

and last but not least

Watch and Wear-hard to look cool,looking at the watch for a possible 70 seconds.

Opinions are like A-holes,everybody's got one.

Sorry dealers,
I think Im going to go to a site a buy something useless because I feel guilty now.

David Blaine's book on witty patter and amusing ancedotes(bad spelling,I think) here I come. Smile
Derek Johnston
justin88
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of justin88
The worst tricks are from symmatrix,specially smynergy trick .That is a joke.Really really bad.Should be taken off the market!!
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of jimesw
I wish to change my worst trick ever purchased from penomenon to 'Float' by JB Magic. What was I thinking? Penomenon is sheer genius when compared with the steaming pile of pants called 'Float.'

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Redneck
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redneck
Meir Yedid's, "Zinger"

As well as any trick that uses the "black on back of card" priciple (Henry Evans & others)

As well as almost any trick that relies on invisible threads (which are usually not invisible and seem to break a lot!)
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
329 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Quote:
On 2003-06-14 16:36, truthteller wrote:

Before online demos, websites, and the internet you had to go to a magic shop to buy your supplies. There you saw a live demonstration and could actually receive feedback about the item from someone who knew you and your skill levels.

Of course there were mail order houses, but even then the items they carried were the ones which sold successfuly in live demos as well as the catalog print. Further, you had a relationship with your mail order dealer who learned your taste as well as your skill level.

Before the internet, some people had to travel quite a ways to make it to a magic shop, and even then, it was based on how good your magic shop was and how good some of the performers were in terms of what magic you learned. I think the beauty of the internet is you can now email the creator of an effect and ask them a question or watch a live demo of a trick. That has made magic into a global community.
-Oz
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
But, as I said, even if you had to travel a long way, and even if you had a poor demonstrator, you still gained up close, first hand information from which to make a decision. In today's world of one camera shots, multiple takes, and crafted angles you are still at a disadvantage when it comes to making wise purchasing decisions.

A further downside is that while everyone in town would monkey their local deomonstrator's presentations, now everyone in the WORLD is parroting whomever is pushing out their latest demo vid. More stock lines, more goofyness, more bad magic.

And while the internet has made it EASIER to email a creator, there were such devices as telephones and pens with paper prior to its creation.

But none of this addresses my point which is that the internet has lead to the creation and distribution of really lousy magic. Yes, in the old days, we had bad magic too. But not nearly as much of it, I contend, because there was more meaningful communication/connection between buyers and sellers.
magicpro
View Profile
New user
montreal
51 Posts

Profile of magicpro
Worst trick ever was arising card.
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
I spent $10 or so on a "Hot Rod". What an awful, pointless effect. I keep asking myself why I bought one of those things. Does anybody seriously use this piece of equipment for real???
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-06-17 01:40, fhood wrote:
I spent $10 or so on a "Hot Rod". What an awful, pointless effect. I keep asking myself why I bought one of those things. Does anybody seriously use this piece of equipment for real???

All the time.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I don't own one but I have seen a magi perform it as a demo for a bunch of kids and they loved it. I don't know how it is for adults.
But personally, I would go with the No.2 pencil, it is much better because it changes visually many times. The ending really surprises people.
For some reason, when I saw the hot rod, it seemed lacking in some way. I think because he showed the stick the named color on both sides, then changed it to only one side when he handed it out for examination.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Like we hear over and over, it's all in the presentation. I use the Hot Rod with a cute story that I read a couple of years ago on another forum. Prior to that, I never used it because I knew it was lacking something. Now it plays really well, with an ending that gives a valid reason for both sides being different.

The No. 2 Pencil, on the other hand, strikes me as completely useless. Yet, I read about how many people use it with great success.

Brian
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4914 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
It's strange, after reading all posts in this thread: I have seen many of these effects done by masterful magicians and they were very good, indeed. The point is that its up to the performer as to what the result will be not the prop.
Is it the magician or the prop that makes it the worst? I wonder...?
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
Is it the magician or the prop that makes it worst? I wonder...

YES, but somtimes its the quality and price of the product that makes it worst.

T.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17048 Posts

Profile of joseph
After the introduction of Shattered by Wolf's Magic, I think you can safely throw out all the other paddle effects. This is really good. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
Quote:
On 2003-06-17 01:40, fhood wrote:

The concept behind a Hot Rod powers MANY MANY MANY effects, ie: c**** c******* k*****, the "p***** move". I don't use it, but it is very useful for learning the concept.
- Alex
PS. Sorry about censoring, but I want to protect the secrets.
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-06-17 18:25, Zednanreh wrote:

The concept behind a Hot Rod powers MANY MANY MANY effects, ie: c**** c******* k*****, the "p***** move". I don't use it, but it is very useful for learning the concept.

- Alex

PS. Sorry about censoring, but I want to protect the secrets.
D**'* w**** a**** it. Alex, the s****** a** s***!

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Joseph,
Thanks for the plug! I have to agree in all modesty. I will acknowledge that many magicians may have found some way to routine and entertain with the typical Hot-Rod but I really dig the "Shattered" effect myself and use it often.
Thanks again,
Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
This thread seems to never end. Smile
Are there so many bad effects??

Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Andrew Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Andrew Wong
Yes, there are always some bad effects and poorly made gimmicks!!!
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! They are all in my drawers!!!
I want to sell them all, but don't want to hurt others. I am too warm-hearted.

Michael Lam Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL