We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28~29~30~31 [Next]
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
Anyone ever buy I think it was called "square circle"? (Not the one which a production box)

This one was 4 pieces of metal. Each about 10 inches long and an inch wide. The 4 pieces were all fastened together by little rivets so together they performed a square. I'll try to give you a taste of what the ad said.

"The magi displays the square to the audience. Then magically in an instant without any falsemoves right before the eyes of your audience the square transforms itself into a circle"

I'll give you a hint. Once it becomes a circle the circle is tough to see from straight on (the pieces of metal are very thin) - easier to see from angles. Also, I should let you know the metal is very pliable.

Here's another hint: Remember the bar trick where you bet that you can toss a paper match in the air and make it land on its edge?
gdowell
View Profile
New user
Illinois
9 Posts

Profile of gdowell
The worst for me:
Haunted Key - "OOOHHH watch as my mind makes my hand tilt and move the key"

Also, I feel the Flip Tip was pretty useless for me.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Creature was the worst for me. I bought it as a filler and all it's doing is filling up drawer space.
In fairness, if the color and fit were better it would be useful.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 11:56, Lambertmoon wrote:
Creature was the worst for me. I bought it as a filler and all it's doing is filling up drawer space.
In fairness, if the color and fit were better it would be useful.

...The 'fit' you can adjust in many ways. The colour should ONLY be an issue when it matches your skin perfectly. I know that sounds odd, but it's a fact.

Part of the creatures design assumes that it can be shown casually on-the-fly. This part of it's modelling is quite unnecessary. It's quite easy to show the front and back of your hands to be devoid of trickery.

Once you show the creature in your cupped hand, it's only logical that it should NOT match your flesh tone...

Dr. Zordas
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-12-16 17:00, gdowell wrote:
The worst for me:
Haunted Key - "OOOHHH watch as my mind makes my hand tilt and move the key"

If that is your presentation, then yeah...I guess it would be a pretty lousy trick. However, with the right presentation, and when performed correctly this is a very powerful effect, and scares the **** out of 'em. Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3367 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Restless Pad, absolute garbage
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 15:38, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Restless Pad, absolute garbage

What is that? Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3367 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
A close up pad that doubles as a card prediction. The mat is designed with the backs of bicycle cards layed out on it. You force a card, and then the card is revealed as the only face up card on the pad (It is actually under a clear laminate in the pad.
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
I'm normally pretty careful about which tricks I purchase. I live only a couple of miles from the largest magic shop in my state (and probably several states nearby). This shop has about everything I see available anywhere. I know the owner well, and he knows I'm serious about quickly purchasing anything I like on impulse. So, he'll let me examine everything, show me the effect and secret, so I can make the right decision based on everything about it. Having such a magic shop nearby is a great advantage when it comes to being well-informed about what you buy. I'm sure we've all read about an effect that is really too hard to do convincingly. I'm sure we've all examined a prop after purchase only to find that it's just a little to cheap and tacky in appearance. So far, there is only one trick I have bought, after examination, that I somewhat regret. It's called Gambler's Dice. I think it's pretty bad, because you must always hold the speicial container at a certain angle. What's worse is that you must also only shake the prop a certain way and only once. Every spectator so far has noticed this and/or figured it out rather quickly. I hate it when that happens during an otherwise impressive routine. So, needless to say I don't do that trick for adults anymore. I only do it for kids in my classroom, and even they sometimes figure it out. The only good thing is that it costs less than five bucks. Ultimately, although I may dislike a purchased trick, my regret is based largely on the cost of the trick.
"I have such sights to show you!"
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
Quote:
On 2004-12-18 04:15, Dr. Faust wrote:
...This shop has about everything I see available anywhere...

That's quite an achievement in itself...

Dr. Zordas
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I didn't think Future Fungus was very useful. Never used it in a performance.

Bandit Ball was good for close-up with kids but it broke within a few weeks.
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Bought so much junk over the years but two Ireally think stink are Duo Rose and VooDoo Doll

Cashetgta
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 14:12, Cashetta wrote:

VooDoo Doll

Cashetgta

I really hope that you are not referring to the little straw doll that stands up in your hand. That is a great effect when given the right presentation and build up. Smile
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I agree. That voodoo doll has gotten several screams from my spectators. Given the right atmosphere and patter, you got one heck of a piece of magic. As for the worst trick I ever bought, even though I like the illusion, the raven I think is a piece of junk. Go ahead. Hang me. But I prefer "Revolution". No one ever catches on to this when performed correctly.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
I'd say D'Lite! (just kiddin Phil) he he he...

The worst crapptastic trick I ever wasted my money on? Probably that trick 21. It was a sick effect, it looked awesome, but it broke immediatly??? any help guys. I cant reconstruct it, its to complicated I think...
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Probably my raven x 2, it's in the bottom drawer and has never been used. I also bought 'sneek a peek' when it first came out, but I swaped it for a packet of starburst sweets,

Dizzy
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2003-05-17 04:10, HiraseMagic wrote:
The quality of my Switch Card(by Ickle Pickle) is poor...maybe that's mine only.

Hirase

I would classify most Ickle Pickle stuff as poor, especially their Flexible Mirror and Tarbell Egg Bag.
2003 user
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of 2003 user
PSI Sharpie.........absolute garbage !!
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
The WORST must be PROTOCOL 153.51
I wounder why no one mention this effect????
And seems he has made many magician dissapointed again with his PSI SHARPIE...
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Jay Sankey's GEMINI POUCH and Metamorph. They have not seen a day of sunlight since I bought'em. I also dislike No. 2 Pencil, and Osmosis.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28~29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL