We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..18..21..24..27..29~30~31 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-05-30 05:01, BIlly James wrote:
I really hated 'Vanishing the Statue of Liberty'. I mean it looked good when I saw David Copperfield do it, I don't know where he got his from but I bought mine from a guy at a market....maybe I should have gone to a magic dealer.
I don't know....maybe my magic skills aren't up to scratch but I just can't act 'natural' wearing a thumb tip that size.

I am sorry to say that you were ripped off. Copperfield did not use a TT on the Statue of Liberty vanish. He used the TT on the Lear Jet Vanish, for the Statue of Liberty he used a Top-It! Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
My vote would have to be the horrendous "Switcheroo"!

Smile
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
404 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Mine goes to flight 204...
Sorry, I really do not like the trick.

Regards
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
On 2003-05-30 14:56, phonic69 wrote:
My vote would have to be the horrendous "Switcheroo"!

"Wow, cool magic, but why do you need that big thick canister in your pocket sir?" Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Marko:
Viva Las Vegas boobay.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
This is the Golden Thread!
OH... Miranda, you are the first to give that everyone-like-it-a-lot routine a bad review! Could you please give some points?

Is it just you? Or some problems with it?

Michael Lam Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
trilam
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
65 Posts

Profile of trilam
I second (third or more) the vote for switcheroo. Waste of money, just do a switch in the pocket.
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
Ummm, lets see, I have lots of stuff I hated! Smile
- Reality Twister
- The Raven
- Mental Photography
- Split Deck
- Golden Key
- Floating dollar bill
- Color deception Brass
- All Easy to master Money miracles videos
+ tons and tons more.
I don't know why I bought all these crappy tricks, What was I somoking Smile
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
561 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Its interesting that no one has mentioned a book or video... It just proves what better value they are.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1739 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have to agree with the majority on Switceroo as being bad and also as well as being disapponited in Reality Twister. But the absolute worst was a coin trick from Paul Diamond called Phantom at the Fingertips and it used a cable like the brake cable on bicycles that went up your right sleeve over your shoulders and down and out the left sleeve. You then had a small piece of magicians wax on the end of the cable out of your right hand which you put a half dollar on and made it look like you were holding it on your fingers. You pulled on the cable with your left hand and made the coin vanish. This definitely went into the drawer.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
Quote:
On 2003-06-01 21:46, Nick23 wrote:
Its interesting that no one has mentioned a book or video... It just proves what better value they are.

I mentioned the Easy to master money miracles videos were pretty bad.
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
This post proves that different people like different magic.

While Switcheroo is perhaps not my favourite effect, I nevertheless really like this item. OK, so it may be slightly overpriced and I did have to customise mine a bit to make it workable (why it can't be made in black I'll never know!!) but nevertheless I have used this a lot and believe it to be a very useful utility item.

I'd also have to agree with João Miranda. I too really do not like flight 204. The vanish is very effective but it is not new. And the reproduction on the necklace is in my opinion extremely unusable. If you thought that the hook up of the traditional ring flight could not be relied upon you would be wise to avoid flight 204. I played with this effect for a while and my eventual conclusions were that the the only way to do this is to use a coin instead of the ring and get it to reappear in a different way...in other words perform the coin vanish as it was originally intended to be performed. I've read pages and pages of good reviews of this product. Me, I give it a big thumbs down. Each to his own I guess.
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
Talking about bad videos...

Peki and the art of floating.
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

http://www.tiendamagia.com

Foro de magia en Castellano!

www.magiapotagia.com
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Chris,

I totally agree with you on the Golden Key. It's just a cheap knock-off of Kineti Key Jnr which doesn't even work. But how can you hate the Mental Photography deck? It's brilliant!
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
carly
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of carly
flight 204:it´s not the worst one, but it´s very bad.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I don't know if this was an item someone with welding skills crafted himself or if it was an actual effect marketed by someone...?

I saw it at a magic auction...

It is a strap which fastens around your waist....on the front of the strap near your belly was a shelf wich you could rest things such as a bottle on in (load mode) for an easy steal...

The biggest problem was that you would look extremely fat whilst wearing this prop....

If you didn't have anything resting on the shelf it looked like you had a right angle sticking out of your belly....

Some schmo placed a forty-dollar bid for it and "Won" it?

Does anyone know of this device?
rr
David Bard
View Profile
New user
Palm Bay, Florida
36 Posts

Profile of David Bard
It may not be the worst item I ever bought, but it was certainly the most expensive piece of bad magic that I ever bought.

T'Ang Dynasty Tea Chest by Collector's Workshop. I paid $110.00 USD for it and had to trade it along with several other effects that, while not exactly bad, I didn't use anymore (total cost to me around $240.00) to my local magic shop for $100.00 in store credit.

And so far one of the items that I've gotten with that credit has turned out to be a dog for me as well. Hold on a sec while I don the asbestos underwear... I'm not too thrilled with my Stars & Hexes. If anyone wants to buy it I'll entertain offers. It's unused.
Thanks,
David Bard
m@gician.us
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
404 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On 2003-05-31 13:03, cardfreakhk wrote:
This is the Golden Thread!
OH... Miranda, you are the first to give that everyone-like-it-a-lot routine a bad review! Could you please give some points?

Is it just you? Or some problems with it?

Michael Lam Smile

As you can see if you read some posts in this topic are three persons saying that the trick is VERY bad.

First, the gimmick is visible. And it MUST be invisible.
Second, the method used is very hard to do.
And third, the video clip of the trick has a bad quality, so you can´t see the gimmick.
Is the kind of things that LOOK awesome and are just crap.
I would PAY to see ANY magician fool a lay audience with it.

Really impratical for real world...

Smile
SGMagician
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of SGMagician
The worst tricks I have ever purchased are TRUE FLY & SYMNERGY!! They are poorly produced booklets and variations of old tricks that are found in other sources. They win the "worst trick" title hands down!
kaitou
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of kaitou
hm, I'd say anything from Downloadmagic.com
The descriptions are desceptive, the levitations -extremely- limited and contrived, in fact, Easy Float can -NOT- be done without giving away the effect once you take the floated card off (and I wouldn't bother floating two cards as one, it's just a sad little trick) Same for Magician's Levitation, nearly as bad. These can be interesting "tips" in a magazine, or article, but not stand-alone effects that you cough up money for.

I do like the T.T. though, never had any problems with it, probably depends how annoying your audience is trying to be, a smart comeback could fix the "if you are a mentalist, read my mind without the wallet" : "Sorry, nothing else left to read" or "There's a one reading per person clause in my contract", depends the reaction you want to get out of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..18..21..24..27..29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL