The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jeff Dunham & Achmed the Dead Terrorist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-10-28 14:16, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-28 14:06, MagicSanta wrote:
Whoa...'sins of the past', are you saying the US sinned in fighting Japan?

No..but does " internment camp" mean anything? However I was referring to the stereotyping during the day. It was not fair then to the people of Japan or to the Japanese Americans who had to endure it. War is no excuse.

German-Americans and Italian-Americans were also held in interment camps in the USA during World War 2.

Quote:
On 2008-07-09 18:33, Stevethomas wrote:
But...McDonald's critics aren't saying that the Four Star cuisine they serve isn't up to standards, either. You get what you expect. You want a laugh, you watch something funny. You know what you're getting before you go. You don't go see a street mime work and expect a Quiet Riot concert.

Steve

If you're familiar with someone's work, you know what you're getting. If you just go to a comedy club on a random night, you might get funny comics, and you might not. The specifics of anyone's act are reasonably debatable; I was just taking issue with the lead of your last post, (i.e. for a guy who's not funny, he makes a lot of money doing comedy...). Any argument that remotely resembles "He must be a good artist; he's achieved commercial success" sets off my gag reflex.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I can't agree more...I would find a "cabinet and large animal" magician's performance boring and wouldn't attend or buy a marketed DVD of it. That doesn't mean he's not successful or wealthy from it. I also wouldn't complain about my dislikes in a public forum. I'd go see Mac King or the Amazing Jonathan and enjoy myself.

By the way, some talented chef did originally come up with a Big Mac recipe. Y'know, Olive Garden doesn't really send their cooks to Italy (as per the TV commercial) for cooking lessons. But people still eat there. If you don't like Big Macs...eat at Burger King.

There, gag away.

Steve
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's not a matter of not liking Big Macs, or about not knowing what you're getting. It would be obvious (at least, I'd like to think it's obvious) that the line, "gee, they must have great chefs at McDonald's; they sell a ton of Big Macs" is ridiculous. Similarly, "Gee, he must be a great (fill in your favorite performance art here); he sells a lot of tickets"...

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Can you say "joke"? I guess not. PC will be the death of humor and if you do not like it do not watch it or change the channel.

Please PM me with all of your routines to make sure that you do not offend women, kids, blonds, polish people, short, tall, fat, skinny, or whoever.

In my show I beat up on a lot of different types of people, including my wife. I LOVE my wife more than anything else on this earth but it is and she knows and takes it as A JOKE.

It is to me like the "N" word. It should be taken in context and not under the word alone.

My best friend is from Iran and I call him "towlehead". He gets the joke. Now if I called him a "towlehead" with malice he would be mad.

Lighten up peopleand laugh.

NUMS
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
That was funny stuff, how come we got to the point that being white male means always having to say we are sorry. a black comedian a female comedian hell any non white male comedian could get up and tell a (funny) non PC joke and no one will bat an eye... but if you are a white male heaven forbid you might offend someone... Funny is Funny . and if you don't find the bit funny I believe you will find yourself in a very small minority that I will be making fun of.
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Okay, let me ask you this...if you're offended by the "Achmed" segment of the Dunham special, are you offended by the redneck, hillbilly, NASCAR-loving character, as well? If so, isn't that being a bit selective? How about the characature of "Jose the Jalapeno (on a steeek)"...isn't that offensive to you, as well? Why would the middle-Eastern character be offensive to you and the others not?

Steve
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Finally got caught up on this thread from start to finish. In the interests of brevity and completeness, let me say that I agree with everything Leland has posted to this thread. And for reasons best made clear by his points, Tim McVeigh and Kaczinski (sp) are off-base to this discussion. Kaczinski's BROTHER TURNED HIM IN. McVeigh and Kaczinski aren't defended by apologists in the guise of any sort of group with any pretense to being moderate or reasonable people sharing their views. Nobody calls for widespread understanding of explanations of their actions, and there isn't a neighborhood in the country where people who share their race or religion would have hidden them (though I'm sure there is a compound or two). When radical fundamentalist Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses start hijacking planes, or when Osama Bin Laden's brother turns him just because it's the right thing to do, we can revisit the "We're all the same" discussion.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My opening joke at a show for a bunch o' Natives (the term they used, which I kind of liked) in response to an ol' fella from AIM. "I want to assure all of you that my ancestors did not fight indians or take any land.....they were far too busy in the slave trade for that"....they loved it. Now the question, was I capping on my own ancestors or some one elses? The PC of you will get it wrong.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Question #2: Who was real butt of every ethnic joke on "All in the Family"? (Hint: It was the middle class white guy).

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dat is right! Lobo, you are alright brutha!
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 00:24, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Question #2: Who was real butt of every ethnic joke on "All in the Family"? (Hint: It was the middle class white guy).

Sadly, it's alright for the middle class white guy to be the butt of the joke. But, if a "minority" character is the laughing stock, that's when all of the cry babies come out of the woodwork to chastise the pale face!

The reality is : ALL stereotype is based on TRUTH! So laugh while you can. If not you'll go nuts.....or for our PC friends: You may very well succumb to occasional states of dementia, followed by but not exclusive to bouts of anger.
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2007-10-28 11:38, Timothy Drake wrote:
Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion I find this video offensive to both Muslims and Jews. If this character were done with any other ethnic culture it'd be chastised but these days it seems to be Ok to bash Muslims.

Jeff is mega talented. I love all his other work. This is bad taste however.

Best,

Tim

Bad taste,,but the only thing Jeff is tasting is the money he's making...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-10-28 11:38, Timothy Drake wrote:
Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion I find this video offensive to both Muslims and Jews. If this character were done with any other ethnic culture it'd be chastised but these days it seems to be Ok to bash Muslims.

Jeff is mega talented. I love all his other work. This is bad taste however.

Best,

Tim

You should be happy then that it was removed.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Ran into a link today to this video. It hasn't been removed. To the contrary, on youtube it has nearly 60,000,000 views.

I did NOT mistype that last number. Consider all the youtube versions (with different language subtitles, etc.) and possible other internet film clip sights, and this certainly would be a contender for the single most watched internet video of all time.

Think about that.

Who is watching it?

I'm just guessing, but I think there are people in all parts of the world--as in, the Middle East, too--watching this clip and laughing their behinds off.

But in America the goodie-two-shoes "oh it's mighty offensive!" feel all good about themselves while not laughing.

Laugh a little, my friends! Laugh at racism! Laugh at terrorism! Laugh at poverty, hunger, death and war! Laugh and learn, and search your own souls, and then laugh some more.

Above all, laugh.

Or don't. Just think about death and loss and cry into your beer, like I do all the time. Hey, don't you want to be a little bit healthier than I am?

I love you all,
Jeff
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 17:20, calamari wrote:
That was funny stuff, how come we got to the point that being white male means always having to say we are sorry. a black comedian a female comedian hell any non white male comedian could get up and tell a (funny) non PC joke and no one will bat an eye... but if you are a white male heaven forbid you might offend someone... Funny is Funny . and if you don't find the bit funny I believe you will find yourself in a very small minority that I will be making fun of.

Billy Connolly does a great routine where he says that white, heterosexual men are the only group left that you can pick on and not have a protest march the following day, and it's so true. We seem to be the only ones willing to take it on the chin and laugh at ourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWMEAURoAXs

I don't think this is the full routine (anyone who is a fan of Billy's work will know that it changes every night), but it's atleast some of it. Don't watch it if you're a member of the PC brigade. I promise, you won't like it.

-- Topher
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2008-07-09 18:12, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-09 17:31, Stevethomas wrote:
How is it that these people "aren't funny", but continue to sell out big theaters?

Pretty much the same way that people who nobody would call "talented chefs" sell a truckload of Big Macs.

A maxim applying equally to hamburgers and hams:

"De gustibulus non disputantum."

There is no arguing with taste.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I'm reminded of the story that Mel Brooks told about how Blazing Saddles was received by audiences. Almost every single complaint about the racist language came from white folks.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-08-13 07:59, stoneunhinged wrote:
Ran into a link today to this video. It hasn't been removed. To the contrary, on youtube it has nearly 60,000,000 views.

Well, that well may be, but the link at the beginning of this thread leads to a page that says; "Video removed for terms of use violation."

I thought the thing was funny. It would be difficult to use that type of humor with McVeigh since he (and a few friends) didn't constitute a "group."

"Achmead" is funny because he isn't representing an individual, but rather an extreme group and takes their point of view to a ludicrous level.

Quote:
On 2008-08-13 11:42, EsnRedshirt wrote:
I'm reminded of the story that Mel Brooks told about how Blazing Saddles was received by audiences. Almost every single complaint about the racist language came from white folks.

I did an off-Broadway play (closest I got to being a success) called "Deadwood Dick; Legend of the West!" In it, all the black characters banded about the "n" word on a constant basis. We white characters (I was a bartender, a sheriff's deputy and Jesse James) had to be content with lesser insults.

It was an article in "Jet" magazine that was our undoing. The article complained about blacks using the "n" word with each other. The producer took it to heart and asked the writer to write out all cases of the "n" word and replace them with other insults. Somehow, the punch went out of the story.

My favorite change was in regards to one character who was taking a _long_ time to die from a gunfight. One woman was supposed to say; "I wish this "n" would hurry up and croak! I'm gettin' hungry!" It was changed to "I wish this fool would hurry up and croak! etc." The night the change was made, the woman went "up" on her lines and in struggling for something to say, actually improved on the line; "I wish this.... CLONE would hurry up and croak! I'm gettin' hungry!"

Apparently Warren Burdine (who was the writer) is still trying to get this thing produced;

http://media.www.pittnews.com/media/stor......35.shtml
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
289 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
I just picked up this story today, about a TV containing Jeff & Achmed being banned in South Africa, following a complaint by a Muslim viewer:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,431866,00.html

This was in October, however, the ad has now made its way back to TV...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The link in the above link show the video having 76 million views.

Jeff Dunham has hit a nerve. He has my utmost respect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jeff Dunham & Achmed the Dead Terrorist (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL