The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Would you buy a t-shirt at a magic connvention? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
I have attended two conventions in the last year and neither had any Tees or golf style shirts with the convention logo or character on it. Is this something that most magi simple don't want? I personally like to get a shirt when I attend a special show or convention in another city and just wondered if others here are the forum are the same way. Or do you simple not like to "advertise" that you are a magician or have attended a magic convention?
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
I've never particularly understood that either. I haven't been to SCAM for a few years, but the last time I went we had t-shirts available. I'm fairly sure there are more magicians than rugby players in the US and I have yet to go to a rugby tournament (7's or 15's) that t-shirts weren't available.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Probably because we are so busy spending all our money on new magic tricks. Some have a pin you can buy, but ur right, seldom see things like T-shirts.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
maybe I can offer a reason why you do not see t-shirts at magic conventions.
I run a three day entertainers convention each year, magic, clowning, juggling, balloon sculpting, vent, a little bit of everything.
The first year that I started this, I had canvas bags printed up, high quality, first class job all the way. Everyone attending the convention was given one free (the cost was calculated into the expenses of the convention).
That left me with about 130 to sell. Since everyone loved the bags, I thought for sure that they would buy a second one for themselves, gifts, whatever. So I offered the bags at $5.00 each (that was 15 cents more than they cost to have printed) Guess how many sold?.......2.
In the following conventions, we used them as door prizes, and packed them with odds and ends for centerpieces, until all are gone, except for the 10 that I bought for myself and family.
Now how does this relate to t-shirts? Previously another convention that I attended had printed up t-shirts in large & extra large and offerred the shirts for $10 each (Their cost was $8.50) They sold 7. They also used them as door prizes and giveaways for early registrants until they were gone.
Now this is just my opinion, but I do not think that magicians are interested in t-shirts. Just about every convention that I have seen do shirts, sells almost none to maybe 5% of the print. It is exactly the opposite when I attend a Horror convention, the younger kids today grab the shirts up before they go to any other dealer in the main room. It may be that particular crowd, I do not know, but that is just my two cents for what it is worth.
All the Best
Marty
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Good question...just personally, I rarely wear t-shirts and agreeing with photius, I'd rather spend my money on new magic tricks or lecture notes...now, it would be cool if a t-shirt were included with the registration, but I digress...
magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
Photius: I think you may have hit the nail on the head... and you probably saved me a $1200 investment. I was thinking about being a vendor for a convention and was thinking to sell the shirts for $15-20. But you can get some new "magic" for that price and that is what the convention is all about.

Thanks everyone for your insight.

Magic-dabra
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
At the beginning of last summer I sent all of the T-shirts that I haven't worn for a couple of years to the goodwill, there were from 50 to 70 T-shirts with writing on them in that trash bag. I wear brightly colored T-shirts all the time, but not the ones with writing on them.

T-shirts used to be a very hot item, people would stand outside of rock concerts making a killing on T-shirts with logos on them, but THAT WAS 40 YEARS AGO.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I believe that a high quality Polo style short sleeve shirt with strong fabric + sharp logo of the convention sold at a high price will help a bit...

As for round neck t-shirt, I am sorry to say that participants of convention simply do not in a that age group to wear that ... base on body size, age and style... etc.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Would you buy a t-shirt at a magic connvention? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL