The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Buying Mismade bills in bulk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Hey guys any idea where to buy mismade bills in bulk..and if so any idea on the costs?
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Here is where you can buy sheets of bills to make your own.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/store/section.cfm/69/83
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...that's the place. Buy a sheet of uncut bills and make your own. You can also sell a few of them if you'd like and make some of your investment back.

Good luck. Mark.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Weapon:

The question that no one answered for you is cost (if you purchase the large sheets from the government.)

If you give the spectator the mismade bill at the end of your performance, it will cost you about $1.50. Considering the retail price of $10.00 per bill at many magic shops, this is a bargain at $1.50.

I have always given most audiences a choice of keeping the mismade or converting it back into a normal bill. Through the years I have found that about one out of three people want to keep the mismade. All my mismade bills have just one serial number on them.

Bob
Debbie Black
View Profile
New user
Phoenix,
57 Posts

Profile of Debbie Black
And people will keep these for years... a treasured giveaway..
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
How do you make them? Im not that savy.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Don't cut them along the white borders like a normal bill. Cut them through the centers giving you 4 quarters of a bill with the white border running through the middles. If you look at one it becomes rather obvious.

Mark.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Gotcha, Thanks Mark.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Smile

Mark.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
100% of the people I have done this for want to keep the bill. I tell them that I use it in my trick, but they can have it for $5. Most will buy it. I'm ahead of the game - hard to believe.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
At $1.50 a shot, why not just give them the mismade as a souvenir.

Sign it with your phone number, they will keep it far longer than they would your business card.

Bob
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Wouldn;t saying "I use it in my trick" take away from the magic? I agree with wellington 100%.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
431 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Has anyone ever thought of having fake mismades printed? I sometimes do this with Million Dollar bills. I buy them on eBay in bulk and they're about 20 cents each.

So what about making fake mismades the same way? The texture won't be perfect, but they could be given away at a profit.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
The reason Mismade bills work so well is because of the feel. They know when they feel the bill that it is real.

That is why it is so odd when a performer displays the mismade without handing it out for inspection.

TKD27:
"but they could be given away at a profit"
Is that what your magic is all about, making a few bucks on a trick?

Bob
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
431 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
TKD27:
"but they could be given away at a profit"
Is that what your magic is all about, making a few bucks on a trick?

Bob

Not at all. I guess the selling point here isn't that it's a profit, so much as it's not a loss. You just simply can't do the mismade bill all night long and give it away each time unless the host is paying you extra to do so.

My suggestion definitely has a downside (the texture isn't perfect), but it has the upside that they can be given away.

The magic would still be intact because of the switch - how in the world did the bill turn inside out like that?

I'm just suggesting it as an alternative for people who may want to give it away. If it's not for you, don't use it Smile
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
This is awesome! I'm going to wrap my son's Christmas presents with em'.
(Someday maybe!)

Stever
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 14:39, Steve Landavazo wrote:
This is awesome! I'm going to wrap my son's Christmas presents with em'.
(Someday maybe!)
Stever

Funny you should mention that..
Other than magicians, using the sheets for gift paper is the most common use of the sheets. Especially for high end jewelry.

Bob
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
My math has the cost to make your own mismade bills at $2.62, $1.62 if you keep the borrowed spectators $1 bill. $55 for a large sheet of 32 bills (4 x 8). When you cut them you lose bills along the edges of the sheet. So from a 4x8 sheet the best you can do is get 21 mismade bills out of it (3x7). $55/21 = $2.62 per bill

Also all of the above assumes no shipping which I am not sure is the case. At any rate for the cost of 5 or 6 mismade bills at an online magic shop you can make 21 mismade bills if you are up for some careful cutting.

I think just using a $2 bill, which are a lot easier to get a hold of at face value at many banks and still offer a bit of that wow factor, would work just as well as the mismade bill and only cost you $1 if you gave it away. You can also always ask the spectator if they would like you to turn it into a $100 bill, which they always say yes to, then you switch it back to their $1 bill and then just say "Oh man, I should not have gotten greedy! I should have stopped with the two when I was ahead!"
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
763 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
The math is correct. And the idea of the two dollar bill sure beats the loss with the $1.00 sheet. Bravo The $2.00 bill wins with me. Thanks PT
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
phill w
View Profile
New user
York, England
14 Posts

Profile of phill w
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 17:24, Bob Johnston wrote:
At $1.50 a shot, why not just give them the mismade as a souvenir.

Sign it with your phone number, they will keep it far longer than they would your business card.

Bob

Nice idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Buying Mismade bills in bulk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL