The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
You know, I have always loved this effect. Never, have I bought it in all my years. I have to get one now that I think about it. I'll add it in with my egg bag routin
Keithe
SHAZAM!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you get the Walk-Around Silk to Egg Set, it has a matching egg you can use with Egg Bag. It can also be handed out! It looks and feels like a real egg. (No more shinny light plastic fake eggs that look and feel fake.)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Bob how can I clean the eggs?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The white ceramic ones from me should clean up with "No More Tears Baby Shampoo". Put a cap full of shampoo into a cup of water and use the liquid to sponge off the egg. (Autumn Morning Star uses "Magic Eraser".)

Don't soak the egg since local water can stain it.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thank you BOB. I will get back to you for some more eggs in the future.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, Bob Sanders wrote:
The white ceramic ones from me should clean up with "No More Tears Baby Shampoo". Put a cap full of shampoo into a cup of water and use the liquid to sponge off the egg. (Autumn Morning Star uses "Magic Eraser".)

Don't soak the egg since local water can stain it.


Hello Mr Sanders. I hope you don't mind if I ask you for some advice.

I absolutely love the silk to egg routine. I've seen Rice's Encyclopaedia as a recommended source for learning the moves (although I think I know them already) but it looks like Rice comes in several volumes. Can one still buy the volumes separately and, if so, in which volume will I find silk to egg?

Secondly, do you know of a good source for silks and brown egg gimmicks in the UK?

Thanks you so much in advance.

David
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21953 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2014, Foxlute wrote:
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, Bob Sanders wrote:
The white ceramic ones from me should clean up with "No More Tears Baby Shampoo". Put a cap full of shampoo into a cup of water and use the liquid to sponge off the egg. (Autumn Morning Star uses "Magic Eraser".)

Don't soak the egg since local water can stain it.


Hello Mr Sanders. I hope you don't mind if I ask you for some advice.

I absolutely love the silk to egg routine. I've seen Rice's Encyclopaedia as a recommended source for learning the moves (although I think I know them already) but it looks like Rice comes in several volumes. Can one still buy the volumes separately and, if so, in which volume will I find silk to egg?

Secondly, do you know of a good source for silks and brown egg gimmicks in the UK?

Thanks you so much in advance.

David


The 4 volumes is not available any longer, only Volume 3 from Silk King Studios, and Volume 4 from www.tricksupply.com websites. They also sell the CD version of all 4 volumes in PDF format. Silk to Egg routines are in Volume 3, Chapter 21.

All silk to egg routines are not the same, Rice, Viking, Sterling, Abbott's, and several others all have versions of the Silk to Egg trick. You have to find the one you like over them all.

Sorry, don't live or ever been to the U.K., but I would like to visit one day. I believe they are available in the U.K. if memory serves me right. Check around, you have so many magic shops in England, I am sure one of them should carry the trick or props only. Here is the most expensive Silk to Egg gimmick I have ever seen, and it from the U.K.: http://www.propdog.co.uk/brown-egg?search=egg Really no need to go that crazy over a gimmick. Here is the Viking Magic version, and they come in brown egg along with the handling of the trick: http://www.vikingmagic.com/Silk-To-Egg%2......name=egg

There I believe I answered all your questions.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:

The 4 volumes is not available any longer, only Volume 3 from Silk King Studios, and Volume 4 from www.tricksupply.com websites. They also sell the CD version of all 4 volumes in PDF format. Silk to Egg routines are in Volume 3, Chapter 21.

All silk to egg routines are not the same, Rice, Viking, Sterling, Abbott's, and several others all have versions of the Silk to Egg trick. You have to find the one you like over them all.

Sorry, don't live or ever been to the U.K., but I would like to visit one day. I believe they are available in the U.K. if memory serves me right. Check around, you have so many magic shops in England, I am sure one of them should carry the trick or props only. Here is the most expensive Silk to Egg gimmick I have ever seen, and it from the U.K.: http://www.propdog.co.uk/brown-egg?search=egg Really no need to go that crazy over a gimmick. Here is the Viking Magic version, and they come in brown egg along with the handling of the trick: http://www.vikingmagic.com/Silk-To-Egg%2......name=egg

There I believe I answered all your questions.


Thank you very much indeed. You've been most kind and helpful.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Foxlute,

As always, our Walk-Around Silk to Egg is $30 plus shipping. It includes two 18" DoveLite Silks, matching stickers (for Sucker Silk to egg), Two eggs (one gimmicked and one ungimmicked matching egg), and instructions for the Walk-Around Silk to Egg routine.

Eggs can be white or brown. (Most of the ones we ship to the UK and Europe are brown.)

There is plenty of information and evaluations about the props from actual users here on The Magic Café. Here is one http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

They are no longer available from dealers. Unfortunately we ran into problems with some dealers substituting inferior props into DoveLite prop sets.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2014, Bob Sanders wrote:
Foxlute,

As always, our Walk-Around Silk to Egg is $30 plus shipping. It includes two 18" DoveLite Silks, matching stickers (for Sucker Silk to egg), Two eggs (one gimmicked and one ungimmicked matching egg), and instructions for the Walk-Around Silk to Egg routine.

Eggs can be white or brown. (Most of the ones we ship to the UK and Europe are brown.)

There is plenty of information and evaluations about the props from actual users here on The Magic Café. Here is one http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

They are no longer available from dealers. Unfortunately we ran into problems with some dealers substituting inferior props into DoveLite prop sets.


Thank you. For some reason (probably from not reading carefully enough)I had assumed you did not supply brown eggs. I think the time has come for me to simply order the set from you and get practicing!

Thanks again.

David
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
791 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Well I finally was able to try this routine on real people at 3 different shows I worked...I LOVE IT!!! I've gotten the same reactions from each show...the mouths just DROP! They do not expect it...especially when your "showing" them...Again...I LOVE IT!

Dan
Micha-el
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
In the March 1978 issue of Genii (or MUM, I tore out the page) Topper Martyn wrote a short article on Fred Culpit's method of making a fake egg. It will work for any color egg. It is a "poor person's" version of the Viking egg. I used one that I made for years before buying the Viking egg.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
I've recently taken delivery of Bob Sanders' "Silk to Egg" kit. It has everything one needs for this classic trick and the eggs (brown in my case) are absolute perfection. I am really looking forward to performing this effect. (There's a mere matter of hours and hours of practice to get through first but it will be worth it.)
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1650 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Havent posted here for a while, but as busy as ever in the corporate market & Yes.. Silk to Egg is a main stay of all shows and is such a hit with all audiences, theres a small clip on my website at a show as part of a show reel etc...
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1650 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I have a question for pure curiosity sake.. I play the effect later rather than sooner in my 45 min act, but was wondering with your own personal experiences..would playing it earlier in your show, 2nd or 3rd effect maybe? get a better reaction..reason Im asking is Pop- Haydn does a fabulous version very early & it works so well,like to hear your comments, I was thinking of using it after a music magic intro then some comerdy intro and straight into it....thanks in advance
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3214 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn


I have always opened with the Sucker Silk to Egg or the Color-Changing Hank. This is not something that I would normally recommend, especially the Silk to Egg. In the Silk to Egg, the secret is supposedly tipped very early, and it seems lame and obvious, while the explanation goes on for a long time. It is easy to lose the audience at that point. If they decide that you aren't any good, they may lose interest and reject your act before you get to the payoff.

It is essential to be able to hold the audience's attention and interest through the entire explanation with comedy and acting, and not every performer has that sort of ability. It is usually better to put sucker tricks in the second or third position in the show, so that the audience has already decided you were competent and worth watching. They are much more likely to follow you through the maze to the surprise.

Every rule can be broken, though. I use it to open because it establishes my magical character and gets the audience to engage with me intellectually from the get-go. It is worth the drawbacks, I think.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1650 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2017, Pop Haydn wrote:


I have always opened with the Sucker Silk to Egg or the Color-Changing Hank. This is not something that I would normally recommend, especially the Silk to Egg. In the Silk to Egg, the secret is supposedly tipped very early, and it seems lame and obvious, while the explanation goes on for a long time. It is easy to lose the audience at that point. If they decide that you aren't any good, they may lose interest and reject your act before you get to the payoff.

It is essential to be able to hold the audience's attention and interest through the entire explanation with comedy and acting, and not every performer has that sort of ability. It is usually better to put sucker tricks in the second or third position in the show, so that the audience has already decided you were competent and worth watching. They are much more likely to follow you through the maze to the surprise.

Every rule can be broken, though. I use it to open because it establishes my magical character and gets the audience to engage with me intellectually from the get-go. It is worth the drawbacks, I think.


Thank you so much Mr Haydn-great practical advice from someone I respect so much
Will certainly try it out earlier
Thank you again
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I must have close to 20 routines based upon Silk to Egg and 20th Century Silk. The right patter and colors can be made to fit any audience.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1725 Posts

Profile of wally
I must get the silk to egg, But do you have to wear a jacket everytime ?? wich dvd should I buy,
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Some use a wand and move on a table top. See Carl Michaels.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL