The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Belief in the Super Natural (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
http://www.newsweek.com/id/62337?GT1=10450

A Gallup poll found that only 7 percent of Americans do not believe in telepathy, déjà vu, ghosts, past lives or other supernatural phenomena, which may have more than a little to do with the soaring popularity of Halloween.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
KEWL!!! I love the Supernatural. Life would be so boring without it Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
The popularity of Halloween may have originally something to do with Irish influences in America too. We Irish love to celebrate nothing!
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 18:11, Tom Cutts wrote:

A Gallup poll found that only 7 percent of Americans do not believe in telepathy, déjà vu, ghosts, past lives or other supernatural phenomena, which may have more than a little to do with the soaring popularity of Halloween.

What you've quoted is a reference by an article in Newsweek to an alleged Gallup poll.

I went to the source, and could only find this poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/16915/Three-F......mal.aspx

Can you find one that is consistent with your quoted reference?

(Hearsay abounds on "Penny")
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
So if 3/4 of the population of the US believe in at least one paranormal concept, who should we be really calling "shut eye"? Maybe we should all drink from the paranormal well so we will no longer be among the minority.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Arnon,

It isn't his job to verify what the former author of the Science Journal Column in the Wall Street Journal has to say. Here is a link to her references: http://www.newsweek.com/id/32249

Nor is your personal inability to find a source relevant at all. Should I care what you can and can't find? I don't.

As for hearsay, I'd take a long hard look in the mirror and figure out why you even bother posting if I were you.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ah..but can you not prove that which isn't so...or not?

those kinda stats are also in Sleight of Mind I believe, jolly fine book it is too...and it also puts you straight on the the whole mis-quoted 70% communicated via body language thing too...

anyway, I personally would like to thank Tom Cutts on posting it, as it makes a massive change from the recent sniping, back biting, and constant debate on Phenom and Crass Angel...see what I did there?
I've asked to be banned
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Where should mentalists fall? I think lawyers should be a bit lower, personally, but then again, look at who falls below them... car salesman... ergh...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1654/Honesty-......ons.aspx

For the record, I think Gallop polls are great free ways to get ideas for routines. However, to think a personal inability to locate something on the site is indicative of nothing.

Notice also the different levels (or lack thereof) of trust between lawyers and journalists, then read the article and arnon's response again. Quite interesting.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 18:38, Lemniscate wrote:
Arnon,

It isn't his job to verify what the former author of the Science Journal Column in the Wall Street Journal has to say. Here is a link to her references: http://www.newsweek.com/id/32249

Nor is your personal inability to find a source relevant at all. Should I care what you can and can't find? I don't.

As for hearsay, I'd take a long hard look in the mirror and figure out why you even bother posting if I were you.

I post so that we can all take a critical look at what is under discussion.

You obviously go by lesser criteria.

You are hardly in a position to question the value of anyone's posts.
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Hello Arnon I love your quote "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Who was that?

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 18:52, arnon wrote:
You are hardly in a position to question the value of anyone's posts.

Never a truer quote about you was written. Now please, go frivolously sue somebody so we all suffer. Nice job!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Thanks, Tom. Interesting.

As I have previously posted, I find skeptics generally have an erroneous belief that thought can encapsulate reality or the truth. They're in a conceptual prison and they seem to love their prison cells, because in these prison cells they have a sense of security and a false sense of "I know".

Many of those around me who believe are not ignorant as many skeptics seem to accuse them of being, but choose to believe because they like it, they need it, it makes them happy, it amuses them, it entertains, whatever.

It reminds me of when I was younger and I absolutely loved reading comic books and on occasion someone would tell me how stupid, useless, unintelligent garbage comics are, meanwhile, I'm having the time of my life with my silly superheroes. By the way I'm still a big fan of graphic novels written by Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, amongst other notables and believe it or not, I still get cr ap for reading them, though now I'm a writer myself and a heavy lover and reader of all kinds of books.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 18:57, David Lancaster wrote:
Hello Arnon I love your quote "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Who was that?

Best Wishes, David

I don't know, but whoever it was, also probably said:

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.”
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Regarding the comics thing, I agree..especially when you consider the point X-Men was trying to make...and just the sheer cheek of releasing a character called The Black Panther during those times...

Remember a band called MC5 they were alledgedly White Panthers...

Anyway, that quote was Philip K. Dick wasn't it?

As I'm rambling, sorry..but as I am...y'know Through a Scanner Darkly?...has anyone ever read Through a Glass, Darkly? by Sheridan Le Fanu? a 19th century writer? magnificent story, and room for a bizarre presentation too...

people are strange folk...i wouldnt be human if you paid me...

atoms existed way before any scientist proved them to, so you could take the argument that if a scientist said long ago "hey, I believe in these things called atoms..." and all the other scientists said "well...ok...prove it...or shut up..."
and the lone scientist couldn't...well, if it proves one thing, and one thing only, that just because you can't prove something now..doesnt mean you won't in the future...

but it still exists inbetween times...
I've asked to be banned
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:

Which Gallup poll - what year was the poll taken? Where are the results reported?

I guess no one wants to be sure of what they are talking about - that would be too much of a constraint on one's thoughts. A kind of prison, eh?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Arnon,

Lighten up! It is Newsweek afterall.

If some one tells you "A man walks into a bar..."

Is you reaction, "What bar? What Man? Prove it! I want specifics."
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
If you want to equate your initial post (that started this thread) to a joke, I cannot disagree.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:

Aw, bless 'em...
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
I've found this link a while ago about
supernatural belief and a lot more:

http://quinnell.us/society/annoyances/stupid.html

Tom
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 05:30, Jon_Thompson wrote:
Quote:

Aw, bless 'em...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Personally I used to be a channeller, psychic, diviner and clairvoyant. Now I realise that I and all those around me who were also doing this were being very self-delusional. I can honestly say the things that were wrong were forgotten quickly, and they very few things that did appear to be genuine psychic ability are easily explainable using basic psychology.

I for one am certainly not going to de-evolve my knowledge back to that state. I can categorically state that I have NEVER met a real psychic, and statistically they apparently don't exist (number of psychics who I have met divided by the number that were actually real).

Neither I nor anyone I know has ever genuinely met a real psychic. I think they are like Unicorns and the yeti.

And most children have imaginary friends. I just left mine in childhood where they belong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Belief in the Super Natural (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL