The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Belief in the Super Natural (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DeadDave
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
176 Posts

Profile of DeadDave
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 18:11, Tom Cutts wrote:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/62337?GT1=10450

A Gallup poll found that only 7 percent of Americans do not believe in telepathy, déjà vu, ghosts, past lives or other supernatural phenomena, which may have more than a little to do with the soaring popularity of Halloween.

I'm "substitious" I don't believe in a lot of things that other people think are true. But I LOVE Halloween! I like it more now than when I was a kid. To my mind, it's the only holiday that people actually celebrate without taking too seriously. Everybody relaxes and has fun! I've had some miserable Thanksgivings and Christmases. (in fact both sucked so badly in 2004 that my wife and I just stay home now) But Halloween has always been a good time!
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
Polls ( and not the polish variety) can have such different result depending how a question is framed...i.e

Do you believe in God ( very high majority will say yes in the US)
Are you religious ( figures were a lot lower)
But are we to take the second question as lesser believing in God, of course not, but it can be taken that way, so I generally have a problem with these polls that are conducted, as the question can promote certain ideas easily.

Also one other point, I hear a lot about skeptics being almost 'closed minded' due to them rejecting anything supernatural, this is just not true...
E.g any skeptic will believe love exits, yet it can't be tested in science terms or seens of even fully understood, but just because it can't be tested doesn't mean to assign it by default into the supernatural.
Same goes for apparently supernatural events, A claim that it is supernatural isn't proof, its just an opinion. So why would someone who says...well I don't see a reason to suddenly believe in ghosts say, be closed minded, if anything the one claiming it to believe in a ghost is being bises to an opinion due to not being able to tested the claim

Man for as long as we have existed has assigned his own limit of understanding to supernatural explanations.

Having said all of that ... I love Halloween, I finally get an excuse to dress up in women clothing...ahh I shouldn't have said that.
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Belief in the Super Natural (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL