The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Criss Angel's Autobiographical Book Called "Mindfreak" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I just got Criss Angel's autobiography called "Mindfreak" a few weeks ago. I only got his book because I joined a bookclub, and his book was one of the initial choices I got for one penny. Has anybody else read his book? Before I offer my opinion on it and what he says, let me tell you that I have never seen Criss Angel's TV show, nor have I ever seen his live show in Vegas. Before buying the book, I really didn't know much about him at all except that he is, I guess, an "up-and-coming magician." And wasn't he dating Cameron Diaz or someone like that a while back?

Anyway, I really like his spiritual approach to life which is infused all throughout his book (well, at least the first third of the book which is as far I've gotten!). He really believes in the power of our minds to enable us to reach and achieve whatever goals we set out to do. I really appreciate his positive approach to life. It seems to have served him well and gotten him ahead in his career. The emphasis he places on having a supportive family behind him is also nice to hear in this day and age when so many families are literally torn apart.

Has anybody else had this kind of reaction to his autobiography? From a few of the many Criss Angel posts I've read on here, I haven't heard too many positive things about him. I was hoping that somebody out there who has read his book will have something positive to say about him and his philosophy on life and living. If not, that's okay, too. After all, It's a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinon.

Any and all comments about Angel's philosophy on life would be appreciated! Thanks!
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I guess you are planning to enjoy what will inevitably follow...

If you are serious- why post this here and not in the BOOKS or MAGIC NAMES AND THE MEDIA areas...?

Oh well... Stand back... it's gonna get oogey..

:goodluck:
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
I rather read my Cereal Box rather than read CA Books...
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
100:1 odds that Criss had the thing ghostwritten - just like he got Guy or someone to help write a message to put into the envelope - since Criss strikes me as someone with a bunch of learning disorders... such as the fact he keeps repeating the same interpersonal mistakes.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So you've been on the Café for three years and all you know is that CA is an up and coming magician? You are kidding right? How can he have a spititual approach to life when he doesn't BELIEVE in Spirits.
I also wonder why this is not in the magician section or the book section. I don't think I'll post anymore.......
CA already get's too much free press here.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-11-04 04:53, hoodrat wrote:
I just got Criss Angel's autobiography called "Mindfreak" a few weeks ago. I only got his book because I joined a bookclub, and his book was one of the initial choices I got for one penny. Has anybody else read his book? Before I offer my opinion on it and what he says, let me tell you that I have never seen Criss Angel's TV show, nor have I ever seen his live show in Vegas. Before buying the book, I really didn't know much about him at all except that he is, I guess, an "up-and-coming magician." And wasn't he dating Cameron Diaz or someone like that a while back?

Anyway, I really like his spiritual approach to life which is infused all throughout his book (well, at least the first third of the book which is as far I've gotten!). He really believes in the power of our minds to enable us to reach and achieve whatever goals we set out to do. I really appreciate his positive approach to life. It seems to have served him well and gotten him ahead in his career. The emphasis he places on having a supportive family behind him is also nice to hear in this day and age when so many families are literally torn apart.

Has anybody else had this kind of reaction to his autobiography? From a few of the many Criss Angel posts I've read on here, I haven't heard too many positive things about him. I was hoping that somebody out there who has read his book will have something positive to say about him and his philosophy on life and living. If not, that's okay, too. After all, It's a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinon.

Any and all comments about Angel's philosophy on life would be appreciated! Thanks!

Tell us more about your book Criss. I am dying to hear more.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Kaufman wrote the tricks section. Too sophisticated to reveal for such a mass market item IMO.

Jack Shalom
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-11-04 07:54, Dr Spektor wrote:
100:1 odds that Criss had the thing ghostwritten - just like he got Guy or someone to help write a message to put into the envelope - since Criss strikes me as someone with a bunch of learning disorders... such as the fact he keeps repeating the same interpersonal mistakes.

If he indeed has "a bunch of learning disorders" then I say he sure is able to adapt quite well. He really shouldn't use a stooge and lie about it. If you close your eyes and hear Criss talked, he sounds like Jeff Bridges with a Greek accent. Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
A lisping one
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
"Anyway, I really like his spiritual approach to life which is infused all throughout his book (well, at least the first third of the book which is as far I've gotten!). He really believes in the power of our minds to enable us to reach and achieve whatever goals we set out to do."

I'm glad you like the book, but this sounds like 99.9% of the self-help books that have been written.

Bob Phillips
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Aim higher guys . . .
Cards never lie
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Sorry to dredge this up but, I just received this book as a gift. Here is my review:

Criss Angel: Mindfreak Secret Revelations is both an autbiography of Criss' life and a book which contains 40 Magic Tricks (Mindfreaks). It is clear from the outset that Criss disassociates himself from all other Magicians. He continually refers to himself as a Performance Artist and instead of "magic Tricks", Criss insists on calling everything he performs as, "Demonstrations". Criss Angel's book is all about him and his insatiable ego which he claims can never be truly fulfilled. Angel's Autobiography is short...It is 175 pages mixed with photos and qoutes, so it is a really quick read. The 40 magic tricks contained within the book are some of the simplest magic effects known in the Public Domain. There is nothing revolutionary here, folks...I guess they had to fill the rest of the pages with something.
Please do not misunderstand me, I really enjoyed reading Criss' book and finding out what makes him tick. Angel's life was filled with ups and downs, tragedy and risks which we all encounter. Born, Christopher Sarantas he worked hard to get where he is today. Angel also morphed his way through his career...first as a youngster performing illusions, then into a Gothic character with make-up and all...and now into a more subdued Grunge looking rock star image. Image is key to Criss and it too feeds his hungry ego.
Criss Angel fully admits that Magic is the background to his success. He lists Harry Houdini and Aldo Richiardi as his inspirations. Criss also lists Salvador Dali and Frederico Fellini as two others that have inspired him throughout his life.
Criss' book is indeed an interesting look into his life and how he and his team create his Mindfreaks. Mindfreak is a word which Angel claims to have made himself. He clearly admits that the word is a derivative of a Politically Incorrect alternative, which he knew censors would reject. Criss wants to stand alone and separate from all others, but he also realizes that all of his labors would not have been possible without his loyal fans. And so, his fans are duly called The Loyal.
Criss Angel has built a multi-million dollar enterprise in a relatively short amount of time. Love him or hate him? Criss doesn't really care, just as long as you talk about him. Criss has also brought magic to the forefront and has placed it on television for all to see.
If you are a fan of Criss Angel, I would recommend this book to all of you. If you are not a fan of Angel's...I would still recommend this book for you to read. Either way, it is a fascinating look into who Criss Angel really is.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
smith83
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of smith83
So what is his philosophy on life anyway?
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Wow Mark, great review.
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
AznSAmagic
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
93 Posts

Profile of AznSAmagic
Interesting review! Thanks.
Cerca Trova
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
You might be interested to know that I originally wrote a book called "55 Mindfreaks" for Criss to sell on his tour. What tour, you ask? It never came about. However the book was completely written and laid out, but it never came out.

Later he signed a deal with HarperCollins for the Mindfreak book, part bio, part tricks. I picked the 40 tricks that went in, but later on someone else took some of the best tricks out and replaced them with simpler tricks from the other 15 that weren't used. I have to laugh when one of the posters in this thread writes that he thinks I gave away too much good stuff--he should have seen the stuff that was left out!
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Quote:
On 2007-11-04 06:10, mesmer wrote:
I rather read my Cereal Box rather than read CA Books...

:):):):):):):):):)
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Thanks for the review.

I saw this at Borders, and I was looking at the book for a good 5 minutes and decided not to buy it. Might reconsider...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Criss Angel's Autobiographical Book Called "Mindfreak" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL